doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/28/09 06:50 PM
Yes, you read that right.

A friend (now deceased) had a wreck of a Purdey hammergun brought back to wonderful condition. One really nice detail was that the the 'smith in England suggested sleaving the barrels with some damascus tubes from another gun.

The work was incredible and if you didn't look REALLY closely the pattern change from the old breach section to the 'new' tubes we almost impossible to spot.

Now my question, the gun was re-proofed, passing 850BAR (I think) nitro without a problem. But when I was looking at it I noticed it was not stamped 'Sleeved' as is the norm. I asked the owner about it and he looked surprised and looked at the gun and said he had never noticed that detail.

So do you think the proof house just missed that detail? I would assume sleeving is sleeving no matter what the barrel material, correct?

Since the owner has since passed away I couldn't ask any more questions, nor do I know where the gun is now. His son likely knows but I don't want to bother him for what is just a curiousity question.

Thanks!
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/28/09 07:54 PM
I believe it to be a mistake.
Smallbores ?
Posted By: cadet Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/28/09 10:52 PM
Sure it's sleeved?
I've a Greener which shows a subtle change in pattern near the breech, I believe from being a different, thicker section of tubing when the barrels were first forged - not sleeving later.
I've a John Manton 15b which shows a similar thing; you can see the spot in the pattern where the different sections were welded together.
That siad, I guess if a decent set of damascus tubes were available, it could be done.
RG
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/28/09 11:12 PM
never mind
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/28/09 11:57 PM
Not to be rude, and those are very pretty pictures but YES it was sleeved.

So back to the original question, did the proof house just miss that detail and re-proof it? Or did they forget to stamp it? What kind of paperwork does the 'smith have to file with the proof house when submitting a gun.

Just so we're clear. YES THE GUN WAS SLEEVED WITH A SET OF DAMASCUS TUBES FROM ANOTHER GUN!
Posted By: JayCee Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 12:09 AM
Mike, if the job was as well done as you say, I'd go with the proof house missing it.
(And the smiths forgetting to tell them) ;-)

JC
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 12:40 AM
JC,

I don't have much confidence in the PM system here, but check yours.

Best,
Posted By: eightbore Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 01:50 PM
What is the possibility of such a procedure being performed today? Anyone interested?
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 06:05 PM
Today, you would more likely have Teague pull a new tube inside the reamed out damascus. No need to mess up the exterior of the original barrels.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 07:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
...So back to the original question, did the proof house just miss that detail and re-proof it? Or did they forget to stamp it? What kind of paperwork does the 'smith have to file with the proof house when submitting a gun.

Just so we're clear. YES THE GUN WAS SLEEVED WITH A SET OF DAMASCUS TUBES FROM ANOTHER GUN!

This is the 1st example of this type of work that has surfaced. I know during the golden years of damascus it was common. Found on old article that talks about cutting out pieces of a barrel and welding in pieces from a donor barrel.

I am betting it was reproofed. Would they have to restamp it back then?

Pete
Posted By: bamboozler Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 09:19 PM
I could be wrong here, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that Keith Kearcher has done this.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 09:29 PM
Maybe Keith Kearcher did this one.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Maybe Keith Kearcher did this one.

No.

Keith Kearcher did not do this work. I believe I know which English shop did the work, but I am not 100% sure and for obvious reasons I can not ask the owner.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Today, you would more likely have Teague pull a new tube inside the reamed out damascus. No need to mess up the exterior of the original barrels.

I believe the original barrels were cut or one of them had a crack from an obstruction. Again, I can't ask the owner.

My curiousity is more about how this would have 'slipped' through the Proof House.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 09:58 PM
Note that in the original posting it is stated the gun "WAS" re-proofed. The question concerns the "Sleeve" mark. Anyone know at what point this became a requirement for a sleeved set of bbls.
Perhaps it was sleeved & re-proofed prior to this requirement, or perhaps it was submitted for re-proof with no mention of having been sleeved & as was all Damascus the proofer just failed to notice this fact. Or perhaps he just forgot to place that mark upon it, several possibilities here, may never know for certain.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 10:00 PM
Originally Posted By: PeteM

I am betting it was reproofed. Would they have to restamp it back then?

Pete

Back when? I may not have been clear. This work was done within the last 5-6 years.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
never mind

Drew,

No offense was intended and I was planning to copy a couple of those pics when I got to this computer. That was the best pic I have seen of the barrels with the damascus muzzles. The auction catalog pictures were posted a couple years ago but I don't remember that picture.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 10:04 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
What is the possibility of such a procedure being performed today? Anyone interested?

Murph,

I think you may have seen this gun.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 10:36 PM
Looks like a job for Myth Busters...
Posted By: JayCee Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 11:39 PM
Hello Mike,

For all the excellent things this BBS provides, PMs are not its forte.
I added a dedicated email to my profile.

Best,

JC
Posted By: QTRHRS Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 11:47 PM
Bamboozler is correct. Keith did a sleeve job damascus to damascus. There was no attempt to match the patterning and the change in patterns was quite visible. I don't know if he has done others but if you have a project in mind Eightbore give Keith a call. As far as the lack of a sleeve mark my guess is Jaycee's got it. The smith neglected to tell the proof house and if the patterning was well matched, it just sailed on through as another damascus reproof.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/29/09 11:59 PM
This is probably the one....
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/30/09 02:22 AM
Originally Posted By: JayCee
Hello Mike,

For all the excellent things this BBS provides, PMs are not its forte.
I added a dedicated email to my profile.

Best,

JC

See your email.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 09/30/09 02:28 AM
This is probably the one....

'The one....' what?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 10/01/09 11:18 AM
Originally Posted By: bamboozler
I could be wrong here, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that Keith Kearcher has done this.

This "one"....An American job would explain it not being marked.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Sleeving Damascus with DAMASCUS - 10/01/09 11:31 AM
Originally Posted By: bamboozler

This "one"....An American job would explain it not being marked.

If you don't read the posts, why do bother to reply to them? To make the reading comprehension easier I have put it in bold/red this time. From the original post in this thread.

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
Yes, you read that right.

A friend (now deceased) had a wreck of a Purdey hammergun brought back to wonderful condition. One really nice detail was that the the 'smith in England suggested sleaving the barrels with some damascus tubes from another gun.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com