doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RMC RBL VS Parker Repro. Tell me it's not so..... - 10/31/09 05:27 AM
Comment on another post claims the RBL is superior to the Parker Repro. No dog in this fight, just curious. Randy
I own one of each in 20 GA. The RBL design is about 100 years newer than the Parker so in that respect it likely has a superior design. The RBL has screw in chokes providing versatility to many shooting situations. The Parker has a checkered butt and short LOP which for me requires a slip on pad to protect and lengthen. The RBL has a reasonably good single trigger. The Parker repro single triggers have their faults. The materials used to make the RBL may also be superior.

Both the RBL 20 and Parker repro 20 are in the same price range. While both may appreciate over time I think the parker repro will appreciate at a faster rate.

The Parker repro is a Parker. There are many reasons that many, many collectors and shooters alike prefer Parkers.

My Parker repro is a DHE as is it's safe-mate, a 1910 Parker 20 GA. If handling these two Parkers blindfolded if would take an expert to identify the repro (other than the wear on the older gun’s engraving). The repro isn't a "cheap copy", it is a exact reproduction of a very highly sought after classic.

Ultimately, while the RBL has its merits, the is overall superiority of a RBL to a Parker repro is a matter of opinion!
Fit and finish on the Parker Rep are extraordinary for anything but older or fine guns. The design of the RBL uses more modern concepts of "fit". The art of gun making... Which is better is going to be a matter of taste. In the grouse covert-the RBL is amazing in its handling.
PS: For those that need or just appreciate versatility the RBL will be found to have few - if any- rivals. In that respect one can understand why it might be thought superior to what has been long considered the best damn buy in a double barrel...the Parker Repro
Good question. Good answers. In a forum of exchange of information, the striving for objectivity while not subordinating feelings does it for me. Thank you.
That aside, I heard God owns an assortment of Parkers including a Repro. No orders from God yet at CSMC for a RBL.
Parker Repro is a lot prettier (IMO), is very well made, and can sometimes be found with LOP of 14 3/4" (I have a 12 ga with that LOP).
It's not a secret, I don't like Parker Repros. I had one of the single trigger guns that never worked and it cost me a lot of money before I dumped it. So, don't expect an objective opinion.
It is mind boggling to me that the Parker Repros have gone up the way they have. This makes the RBL an even better a choice.
The RBL is an American gun which has value to me. It has modern dimensions which means the gun will fit most shooters and you have two choices for L.O.P.. Many of the features built into this gun including coated (hard gold) internal parts are never mentioned and certainly not found in a Repro. It has real case-hardening that will last, a good stock finish, and a many options found only on custom guns.
How about product service? If anything goes wrong with a Repro, good luck! An RBL can be shipped back to CSMC and, often, you will have a one day turnaround.
I'm a hunter and clay target shooter. I demand guns that fit and that are dependable. The choice, for me, is easy. If they ever stop making RBL's, you will see the price go through the roof. Until then, enjoy a great American made SxS at an affordable price.

well, in 100 years the Parker reproduction will still be an identical reproduction of a classic shotgun made with "modern" dimensions and modern metalurgy. Most of the problems with the single trigger were easily resolved by a good cleaning. One knock on them is the "thin" case coloring, but case coloring on any gun is thin and easily worn off unless protected. The other knock was wood, though always beautiful, that was not up to the task and would split at the wrist.

In a 100 years, who knows if the RBL's will be considered a classic design. Right now, I consider the Parker reproduction to be a prettier gun and already a classic design.
I have a 20ga. RBL and I had a 12ga., two barrel set Repro. The Repro had absolutely killer wood and I had no problem with the SST. With the wood, skeleton butt plate, case and finish I would say the Repro was the prettier gun. But, the RBL has vastly better dynamics than my Repro had and the same is true of a 20ga. Repro that I had some trigger time with. That settles it for me. The RBL is the better gun because I buy 'em to shoot 'em.
I have two Repros, one with a single trigger, one with doubles, one with a splinter and one with a beavertail. My RBL has all the bells and whistles.

The RBL action uses the default A&D action, which is what, as old a design as the Parker? The Parker, like most American guns, started with a clean sheet of paper. Both work very well and it would be silly to argue otherwise. The Parker single triggers usually work, some don't. Mine does, and I will give the nod to the Parker single trigger for the better feel, any way you want to describe it.

The RBl has tubes - that's hard to trump. Oh, and 28" barrels. But the RBL also has a puffed up trigger guard (you know what I'm talking about) and a frumpy beavertail with a so-so fit (at least every one I've seen - what's with fitting the fore-end?). The Parker is simply sleek in any configuration, well fit and finished.

Parker stocks are kind of a grab bag. I am of the impression they were individually made, so you pays your money and takes your chances. The RBLs seem shootable, no matter what.

After all that, I rather like the Parker best, but the RBL is no slouch.
Quote:
If they ever stop making RBL's, you will see the price go through the roof.

CSMC has already stopped manufacturing RBL's. All the guns coming out now are being assembled from parts on hand. Prices have not gone through the roof, yet.

I own an RBL 20 and a Parker Repro 28, both with straight grip/splinter/DT, 28" bbls. I am waiting for my RBL 28, same configuration but with 30" barrels. The RBL and the Repro are different guns, and both are excellent. It's a matter of esthetics, fit, and versatility. If you need choke tubes in a small bore, buy an RBL. If you need a longer LOP, buy an RBL. If you can't find the Repro you want at the right price, buy an RBL. If you need to shoot steel or other hard non-tox, buy the RBL. If you are only going to have one gun, buy the RBL. If you hope to get out of the gun more money than you put into it, buy the Repro. Hard to go wrong with either one.

The RBL is a more modern design with more versatility than the Repro, but only makes it "better" for some purposes.
The last of the Parker Repros sold for $1,999/2,099. Let's not jump to conclusions regarding appreciation. The law of supply and demand will dictate future value. Currently, the supply of RBL's is plentiful. Once (if) that changes, the price will soar.
By the way, Replacement, you will love your RBL-28. It's the best. I have one with 30" bbls., DT, ES, BTFE, choked Skeet/IC and it's my favorite. I've added a .6" decelerator pad and it weighs 5lbs., 14oz......perfection.

I did like the RBL 20 enough that I wanted an RBL 28. My 30" barrels will be choked M/F for doves in the desert. Can't get that combo in a Parker Repro, so nod to the RBL for that configuration. But, the Repro is an awfully nice gun, even at today's prices.
Originally Posted By: MarkOue

1. The materials used to make the RBL may also be superior.

2. The Parker repro is a Parker. .

1. Not likely.

2. True.

3. The RBL is basically an overpriced SKB. Not a bad thing, but it is not a Parker.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: RBL VS Parker Repro. Tell me it's not so..... - 11/01/09 02:50 AM
I happen to have a few of each. I use them alternately for clays and birds. Therefore I can talk with direct and reasonably substantial experience.
I won't bother going over the differences in specifications (screw in chokes in 20 ga. vs. not, etc.) but I'll focus on the "other" items.
RBL
- great value
- tough as nails
- reasonable, but not great fit and finish
- generally muddy and unattractive case coloring
- so so engraving
- good dynamics in the 20 and 28ga., poor dynamics in the 12 and 16Ga.
- future appreciation very uncertain. Not a "classic" more of a workhorse

Parker Reproduction
- excellent fit and finish
- attractive case coloring - but thin, Cover with shellac and no problems.
- so far. no problems at all with single triggers, double triggers, or anything else. That includes many rounds of Skeet and Sporting Clays as well as Hunting.
- good dynamics in 20,28 and 12 ga.
- it is a modern day classic as reflected in its appreciation.

In the end, based on my direct experience, I believe that the RBL is a really good gun, but that the Reproductions are superior. That value difference seems to be reflected in their relative prices.
ah wus gonna by won o dem fan ce ova prict gons, but den ah bout ate 311s en for gages; two ov each. now ah got my shutters an ah spair, case won brakes. awl fur les munny tu.
Originally Posted By: Don Moody

The RBL is basically an overpriced SKB. Not a bad thing, but it is not a Parker.

If this is true, then owning a Parker Repro is like owning a print. It's not the real thing but it does resemble the original.
Frankly, I get almost as excited about owning a Repro as I do owning a Lionel made in China.
You could make all the same arguments about them being as good if not better but somehow it's not the same, is it.
"it is a exact reproduction of a very highly sought after classic"

"already a classic design"

"it is a modern day classic as reflected in its appreciation"

Are we talking about the Toyota Corolla or the Honda Civic?
Originally Posted By: Tom28ga
Originally Posted By: Don Moody

The RBL is basically an overpriced SKB. Not a bad thing, but it is not a Parker.

If this is true, then owning a Parker Repro is like owning a print. It's not the real thing but it does resemble the original.
Frankly, I get almost as excited about owning a Repro as I do owning a Lionel made in China.
You could make all the same arguments about them being as good if not better but somehow it's not the same, is it.

All your worrying about is where the plant is located. They just switched sides of the street(the pond, if you will), The product is still the same or better.
With all the problems and issues reported concerning the RBL on this and several other sites it's amazing there is anyone other than a member of The RBL Apologists Club that would seriously put in them in the same league as a Parker Reproduction. The only reason I can come up with is that they are currently selling in the same price bracket...the RBL is a $3500 gun selling for $3500, the Parker Repro is a $10,000 gun selling for $4000. The RBL is a Japanese design built by an American company produced at a price point many can afford, the Parker Repro is an American design contracted out by an American company built in Japan to be able to be produced at a price point that many can afford. Now I don't hate RBL's--I have a friend who has a 28-ga. RBL, 30" bbls. DT, SG, SF with exhibition wood that's very nice--but it's not up to the same build quality of a Parker Repro.

Let's see...in the relatively brief history of the RBL several problems and issues have been reported:

* Single trigger guns doubling.
* Selective single trigger not functioning properly.
* Double trigger guns triggers not functioning properly.
* Finish peeling off.
* Ribs coming loose.
* Cheezy and poorly executed engraving.
* Proud wood.
* Poor wood to metal fit.
* Muddy case coloring.
* Burnt checkering.
* Poor checkering.
* Overly thick wrists.
* Bulbous trigger guards.
* Nose of the comb too far back--makes for a funky profile.
* 7 lb.+ 16-ga. guns.
* Ventilated rib design.
* Beavertail forend design.
* Poor handling dynamics of 16 and 12-ga. guns.

...and the list keeps growing.

Come on people---get real!
Hey guys,

It's great that we can all express our opinions. IMHO both Parker Reproductions and RBLs are very good guns. Each has its merits. I own both and have no intention of parting with either. Also, at the right price I'll buy more of each.

Mark
Posted By: Anonymous Re: RBL VS Parker Repro. Tell me it's not so..... - 11/01/09 07:01 PM
Man oh Man the prejudices really pop out in a discussion like this!
Those who state (and know) that they are both good guns, have it right.
Those that like old guns have it right too, if you like really old guns.
Those that only want their guns made in the USA, have it right as well (Forgetting that many of the really old guns had barrels made in Europe). By the way, where was your computer made?
You have to also eliminate any of the old guns that don't have Damascus barrels. since to be original, they have to have Damascus barrels. (That new fangeld steel will never catch on!)
Those that only like guns made in the "original factory" have it right as well. Which eliminates most of the Foxes, Ithaca's, even old or late "original" Parkers, etc.
Those new self contained cartridges have really crossed the line. Flint fired front loaders are the only way for us purists!
Most people I know wouldn't buy a Parker Repro with a single trigger and it's not just because they're heard my horror story regarding this. You're playing Russian Roulette hoping that you'll get one that works. I don't think you find many $10,000 guns, other than a Repro, that you can say this about. Nice case coloring...a bargain at $10,000. Oh, and one Repro owner says that his gun even fits him and there might be one or two more out there. Who knows? If you like them, that's fine. Buy as many as you like.

As for "The RBL Apologists Club" nonsense, I consider the source. I doubt, reading his diatribe, that he has ever owned, shot, or even handled an RBL. His list of "RBL faults" should convince you of this. Do you really think he's handled a 12/16ga. RBL?.....or has a clue as to what good "handle dynamics" consist of? Not a chance.

"The RBL is a Japanese design built by an American company...."

That is old territory. If, however, you claim that the RBL is based on other designs, which it is, at least give proper attribution. CSMC does. What proprietary design was taken from the SKB? Since they don't have any, take your time in answering. (Hint: maybe the Model 21 single trigger?....Southgate ejectors?...Anson & Deeley boxlock?) Yes!!! All of the above are really SKB intellectual property.

Most people who own RBL's don't claim that they are the finest shotgun ever made. They do have pride in owning a fine American double that works flawlessly for most and, in the event you do have a problem, prompt factory service is available.

I've put thousands of rounds through my RBL-16ga/20ga/28ga guns and can tell you they are good guns and great shooters. I bought them for field and clay targets and would recommend them for either or both these activities.

I've considered buying RBLs with every new gauge introduction and have even filled out order forms on a couple of them. I've handled a few and find them pretty well balanced but have never shot one. I have three Repros and a bunch of originals and I keep buying Parkers and putting thoughts of an RBL on the back shelf. I've had a broken ejector hammer on my skeet Repro and a SST that got stuck but cleaned it and haven't had a problem with it in years. I don't know what it is but for some reason I just keep buying Repros and originals and can't seem to get excited about having an RBL. Am I cheating myself?? I don't think so . . . especially when it's my money I'm spending.

P.S. There is no sweeter handling gun on ruffed grouse and woodcock than a Parker Repro in 28 ga. - I don't care who makes it or how much it cost you.
I'm the same way....every non-Parker gun I buy is one less Parker I can buy.
There aren't any bad 28 gauge guns, including Parker Repros. Somebody is out there with a Parker Repro with a Miller (Howard & Delbert) Single Trigger and a true oil finish.

It is about as nice a P.R. as you'll find anywhere. It took two years to get it to where it was an incredible gun but it is now. It will never misfire...ever. After all I went through to get it there, it took all the fun out of owning it and was moved to pay to for an ICD. I've never looked back.

I have two Ithaca Classic Doubles in 28ga and have are my primary grouse/woodcock guns. I bought an RBL-28 as a rainy day/backup gun but, you know, they are pretty nice guns and well worth the money in spite of some comments made here. At 5lbs, 14oz, with 30" bbls, you wonn't kill yourself carrying it either. It's choked Skeet/IC and is grouse poison.

My Repro has a single trigger for each barrel....
My friend and I both purchased 12 ga RBL's for duck hunting and shot them this summer to work out any possible issues. While duck hunting this week his bottom rib separated and the left trigger on mine stopped working. They need to do a better job getting them right the first time out the door in my opinion.
For what ever reason, the barrels with the 12/16ga guns have had "issues". This is, obviously, unacceptable and unlike CSMC. Guns brake....every gun but this seems to be happening too often.

I have two 16ga. RBL's and have had no barrel problems with either gun. It would be interesting to hear what CSMC has to say about the problem. If you talk to them, please let us know what they have to say.
I own a 28 gauge Repro two barrel set, double triggers, beavertail, straight grip, bought it new during the closeout. I would like to own a 30" 28 gauge RBL, same configuration but have too many irons in the fire, so probably will never own one. The 28 Repro is a fine handling gun, but the 28 RBL is more of a serious handling gun that would be suitable for competition shooting. What's the deal with the grip size on the 12 gauge RBL? I think it's a great gun, but it will take some getting used to.
Who would have thought there'd be problems with RBL double triggers...get's one to wondering what's next--Murphy's Law?

Hang tight eightbore, Tom will be along shortly to explain the virtues of those grips.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com