doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: jjwag69 Back From South Dakota! - 11/09/09 08:48 PM
We just returned from the Chamberlain, South Dakota after a short 15 1/2 hour drive! We had a great hunt! We hunted near Chamberlain, Pukwana and White Lake. Although we had no problems getting our limit each day, we did not see the number of birds we saw last year. The birds, I believe, are there but the standing corn and soy beans have given them plenty of food and cover that is difficult at best to hunt. A brief walk in the 7 foot corn sent birds running in all directions, but the flush was weak and the birds hard to shoot through the tall corn. Food plots and shelter belts held plenty of roosters and shooting action.

The harvest was in full swing as we left, but the soil is still too wet in some areas for the combines to complete their tasks. We booked our return for the same week next year. I will try to post a picture or two later.

Jim
Posted By: khanh Re: Back From South Dakota! - 11/09/09 11:39 PM
thanks for the update Jim. I leave wednesday for P'Crest. How was the weather? was it warm?
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: Back From South Dakota! - 11/10/09 02:34 AM
The weather was warm but not unbearable. I will give you a call on Tues.
Posted By: Cobbhead Re: Back From South Dakota! - 11/10/09 04:35 PM
Spent last week in South Dakota--De Smet to Watertown area---hunting waterfowl. Great trip, not much shooting but I did get my 1st Tundra Swan and a beautiful drake Can. Would have posted a picture, but SX-2's don't play well on this site. Didn't hunt pheasants but talked to lots of pheasant hunters in the resturants at night. Tough hunting, virtually no picked corn and fields/roads were extremely wet and muddy. The forecast when we left was for mostly sunny weather, hope the farmers got their corn out and give you upland hunters half a chance. We did see lots of pheasants late afternoon flying/walking out of unpicked corn into the CRP to roost.
Posted By: dprater Re: Back From South Dakota! - 11/10/09 07:41 PM
Jim,

I was in Chamberlain last week also( Al's Oasis) with a bunch of guys from Ky.We hunted standing corn all day killing a few but about dusk went to the CRP and killed our limits in a matter of minutes.Seems like lots of grouse and chickens with the pheasants but too much standing corn.Plan to go back in about 3 weeks. While in the corn had to put 30 inch full choke barrels on my old NID.

David
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com