doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bsteele Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 06:37 PM
This is pathetic:

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---rogers---fine-rifle---1468902-bland-rog.shtml
Posted By: Tinker Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 06:49 PM
yikes.

could be salvaged, but it would be expensive.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 06:55 PM
Wow....
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 07:17 PM
Like buying a new Lamborghini and putting fake foam fuzzy dice on a string and hanging them from the rear view mirror-Only a cheap PIMP in a New orleans warehouse would do that "Bling-Thing"- I always knew Cabela's gun library was visually imparied, but this is way too much and 7K for a .303 Limey calibre rifle that only goes bang twice before reloading- WFT is up wid dat???
Posted By: James M Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 07:29 PM
I'll bet even the scopemaker (Leopold) would heave if they saw this picture. However the only apparent permanent damage is a couple of extra screw holes.
Jim
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 08:51 PM
notice that the gun is on consignment. Cabelas wouldn't even touch it with their money.
that guy would use the Mona Lisa for a card table...
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 08:58 PM
There needs to be a new, deeper, level in Dante's Inferno for the person who'd do something like that. That being said, I wonder if you could mill the dovetail for a set of multiple folding leaf rear sights and eliminate at least two of the screw holes. You'd still have to address the third hole and the rust on the rib, but it might reduce the work necessary to bring it up to snuff.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 09:10 PM
Yuck! Clash of the centuries.

RWTF, more like putting 24" gangsta wheels with spinners and short sidewall wide tires on an original condition Dusenberg.

If it's just screwholes, a few mild steel screws wound in and filed flush then matted to match the rib should do a nice reconstructive repair.
Posted By: Rebel Sympathy Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 09:35 PM
Lawzey Mercy!
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 10:05 PM
How do you know it is consigned?

OWD
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 10:08 PM
I'm curious if the rifling is actually Metford or if they know the difference between Henry & Metford? Is Metford common for the 0.303?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 10:10 PM
The sentence that says "This rifle is a consignment and must be purchased through the Rogers Cabelas store" would seem to indicate that.

Looks like something jOe would be real partial to. Wait, it doesn't seem to be sleeved, maybe not....
Best,
Ted
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/30/09 11:14 PM
Why does this surprise any of you. How many high grade pre-13 sxs have had the barrels cut, dents in barrels and wood like they rode in the back of a truck with no case, also stocks stortened and recoil pads but on.

On the bottom of the description it says consigned
Posted By: yobyllib Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/31/09 05:36 AM
Overpriced yes.
Previous owner prolly had little in it? Prolly.

No more sacrilage than any levergun with scope...thats bad.
A few holes in the rib? knock off 200.??
Posted By: eightbore Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/31/09 03:12 PM
That gun has no obvious fatal flaw. A row of express sights may cure the whole mess.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 12/31/09 04:34 PM
That's really gross!
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 01/01/10 10:12 PM
A pistol grip Marlin 336 with a scope looks fine to me. It isn't like they put some kind of side mount, after-thought hunk of metal on them, the guns were always designed for a scope. Anybody with 50 year old eyes would be a better shooter with that combination, as well. Plus, Hornady has re-invented the 30-30 with ammunition that makes it the new .308, and takes it out to yardage that was un-obtainable before.
Some of the things I read here, make me wonder if people actually hunt and shoot, or just talk about it.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 01/01/10 10:43 PM
I shoulda said Deusenberg, or Cord, or Auburn or a vintage Packard Phaeton, with the statue of the 'do-nut' pusher lady with the ring outstretched- I went with the Pasta-Grinder set of wheels, as I noticed some tool marks on an otherwise fine Beretta 20 o/u, now sold on another sector of this site. Didn't want anyone to think I don't like things Italian-- Gina Lollabrigidia, Sophia Loren etc-- just don't like Orvis overpriced merchandise and their endorsed Lodges full of paying clients who think their $ gives them ownership rights to the rivers and fields- whether in MI or MT. I love classic cars, but then- the famed "Little deuce coupe" was born in Torrance CA, right?
Posted By: Tinker Re: Dreadful treatment of DR - 01/02/10 12:37 AM
I disagree

Originally Posted By: eightbore
That gun has no obvious fatal flaw. A row of express sights may cure the whole mess.

The forward portion of the quarter rib has been milled/filed/stoned completely off (forward of dovetail)
There's no telling if those screw holes have gotten into the barrels.
The matting has been mashed.
The orig express sights are gone.

Those together will end up costing much more than a couple hundred dollars.

Considering it's a nice brit double, in order to keep the value in the rifle we're going to need to have a gunmaker who does double rifles do the work.
Take Butch Searcy for instance (an American guy, surely no one here would take offense at the suggestion he could do the work)-- the rear sight alone (1 standing, 3 folding will take up the space and will be correct for a .303 sporting rifle) will cost $600.
Likely a bit more to fit the rib to the sight.
Before re-blacking (which it will need) the screw holes will need to AT LEAST be filled and the top of that quarter rib will need to be welded/blended, then the hand-filed matting will need to be restored.

By the time it's on it's way home from Boron,CA (if Butch would do the work) you're likely looking at a bill in the neighborhood of $2kUSD
That's just for the sights and rib.
A likely better guy for the job is JJ at Champlin Arms - and the price would likely be in the same neighborhood or more.

Some would say that the low asking price accounts for that.
Either way, it's a project - but perhaps it'll just sell the way it is to someone who doesn't care about that kind of thing.

Cheers
Tinker
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com