doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Wonko the Sane What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/05/10 06:02 PM
I wish I'd thot of it

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204507

Now I know what I've been waiting for.

WtS
Posted By: GregSY Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/05/10 06:33 PM
An excellent example of two things:

1) the patent office has broken down to the point where they will issue a patent to just about anyone for anything. Of course, as always, a patent is worthless unless you are willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars defending it.

2) the crackpot inventor is alive and well. All he needs is your dollars to feed on.
Posted By: Subgauge Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/05/10 08:51 PM
And first thing tomorrow I am going to invent the Safety Razor,
Sliced Bread............................................................
..................Fire!! and and and then

the WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be rich
WOWIE!! WHOOPIE!! YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Posted By: GregSY Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/05/10 08:56 PM
Sorry, I already have a patent on the wheel being looked at by the Patent Office. But damn it all I forgot about fire!
Posted By: KY Jon Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/05/10 09:03 PM
I already have a patent for air and all uses of the same on file. Good luck getting around that one. I will be sitting pretty when those royalties come in. At even .00001 cents per breath, six billion people will owe me a lot of money in just a few years. Good thing I have that investment banker from Nigeria taking care of my money. LOL, And my first wife wanted cash. Who is laughing now dear. Your air is going to be twice the going rate.
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/05/10 09:19 PM
Your patent is very similar to that granted to Edwinson Green, of Cheltenham England in 1902. Greens patent had very limited Success. Westley Richards made several 3 barrel guns based on Green,s patent; one of which is pictured in the book," Modern Sporting Guns," by Christopher Austin, and is seen on page 97.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/05/10 10:13 PM
Did Green's patent show 3 barrels in a row rather than in a triangular conformation?. Because I have seen two of those.
Mike
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/05/10 10:15 PM
Wonder if he'll put three triggers on it.
Posted By: eightbore Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/05/10 11:18 PM
I would prefer the three trigger concept, with the first trigger at the front of the guard facing back and push to fire. Otherwise, there is not enough room in the guard for a gloved finger. What happened to the inexpensive three barrel shotgun that appeared briefly in the seventies? It was called Tristar or something similar.
Posted By: GregSY Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/06/10 12:04 AM

If only someone could come up with some sort of shotgun, with only one barrel, that could fire 3 shots. Some sort of repeating mechanism, perhaps. It could be operated though some sort of 'pump' mechanism or even use the gun's own recoil energy or maybe gas pressure. The waterfowlers would line up to buy a gun like that.

But until then, it looks like the three barrel gun will reign as king.
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/06/10 12:10 AM
The barrels in the Green patent are are arranged in triangular formation.The Westley Richards catalogue of 1912 describes these guns in some detail.It is interesting to note that W.R.also offered a three barrel rifle shotgun combination using the Green patent, with the top barrel of the triangle being the rifle barrel.
The guns with three barrels,side by side,that I am familiar with were made and patented by John Dickson of Edinburgh,in 1882.The Dickson guns have three triggers and side lever opening.
Posted By: Tinker Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/06/10 01:11 AM
I have you all beat...

...I invented THE INTERNET!

;-)

Cheers
Tinker
Posted By: GregSY Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/06/10 01:31 AM
I know you're lying. Al Gore doesn't live in California.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/06/10 02:24 AM
I thought you invented global warming?
Posted By: Tinker Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/06/10 02:34 AM
Chuck-

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I thought you invented global warming?

After this last batch of chili I'm confident that I can put that on my Resume too!!

Cheers
Tinker
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/06/10 03:43 AM
The guy should go for 4 barrels...when hunting waterfowl he could just plug one of them.
Posted By: Brian Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/06/10 03:57 AM
and the classic tyro double question adapted to the tri barrel; can you fire all three barrelsa at once?
I know, uits a single trigger but you gotta love the dunces that always ask that
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/06/10 04:16 AM
I bet if you do you'll regret it...
Posted By: eightbore Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/06/10 01:44 PM
The ultimate waterfowl gun is the Cosmi. It holds eight shells but no game warden knows how to find them.
The "kerchang, clang, etc" sound of the Cosmi mechanism scares all but the boldest ducks.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/06/10 05:31 PM
First Learnings and (believed to be) Original Ideas are dangerous in that people tend to cling to them, even when they are shown to be false. Very few ideas are actually original. One should try to go forward with an idea that has not worked in the past only if one can show changes/advances in design, materials, use conditions, or social acceptance. Three barreled guns have been around a long time in a lot of configurations and only the drilling (SXS shotgun over a rifle barrel) has gained any particular acceptance. I don't see any changes to suggest acceptance of this design.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: What A Concept!! Three Barrels!!!! - 01/07/10 04:38 AM
I just want to watch this guy make that wrap around forend and figure out how to keep it in one piece as shown in his patent! Note that drillings work pretty well with two barrels on top and the third seldom used barrel on the bottom. The access to reload the two barrels upper barrels is a lot more convenient as well. And by the time he gets those three triggers & hammers assembled in a row as shown, the breech width is going to look like the view from behind the mule!

Now if Johan Fanzoi is ready to deal on his 20ga three barrel in exchange for an old Kreighoff and a couple thousand I will gladly purchase it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com