doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/15/06 06:47 PM
Hi all! I'me new to this post,and I'm gald to be here, I just love SxS (thats all I hunt with) and own several. I've posted this on other forums and will here again if its OK. I'm thinking of getting a DeHaan S2 in 16ga and would like any opinions on these guns. Any info will be greatly appreciatd!!

Thanks and God Bless!!!

Greg
Posted By: improved modified Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/15/06 08:08 PM
Don't think you can go wrong. I have a CZ Ringneck that I like and the DeHaans are supposed to be better quality still. I have confidence in Mark so I decided to go with a DeHaan SRG13 thought it might be interesting to go with a high grade since most people have bought his standard products and there hasn't been a lot of feedback on the high grades. It should be here within a month. I will keep the board posted on my findings.
Posted By: improved modified Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/15/06 08:09 PM
Don't think you can go wrong. I have a CZ Ringneck that I like and the DeHaans are supposed to be better quality still. I have confidence in Mark so I decided to go with a DeHaan SRG13 thought it might be interesting to go with a high grade since most people have bought his standard products and there hasn't been a lot of feedback on the high grades. It should be here within a month. I will keep the board posted on my findings.
Posted By: Cooter Brown Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/15/06 09:20 PM
If the S2 is the model with two triggers, splinter forend, straight stock, then I have an S2 in 28 ga. I like the gun, particularly the handling. When I first got it the left firing pin was dragging on the primer cup, making it hard to open the gun. It was only a matter of time and sure enough on the 95th round during the initial clays shakedown the pin broke.

I was dissapointed but Mark could not have been better about it. The first words out of his mouth after I told him what happened were "This is up to you. Do you want your money back in full or would you like a new gun?"

I chose to replace the gun and Mark even expedited it to me when I told him I was leaving in a week to go to Michigan.

A buddy of mine got a CZ Bobwhite in 20 ga. not long ago and they appear to be essentially the same gun. The Dehann may be fitted a little better. They are filed a bit differently at the back of the receiver. Not sure about the 16 but the CZ 20 (a 26 in. gun)did not have the sweet handling qualities of the 28 which has 28 in. bbls. Not sure how you could get your hands on one to try it.

The 28 is about all I use for woodcock and carries and points great.

SK
Posted By: Philbert Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/15/06 10:53 PM
I'm looking at a DeHaan as well so I'll be watching this thread. Cooter - you have an S0, in fact, the exact one I'm considering so I appreciate your insight.

Phil
Posted By: yobyllib Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/15/06 11:29 PM
I got a dehaan s2 str8 grip 28" .410 st.
decent workmanship,you can ask Mark for a hand select wood,and you may get fiddleback or something close to/about semi fancy or 1 "x" grade wood.
Then you strip that red poly finish off of it and redo it in oil finish and really bring out the grain.
Posted By: GeorgeP Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/16/06 12:17 AM
Okay -- you've gotten my attention. I have a Bobwhite CZ 410 and like it. I'm not familiar with DeHaan. where would I find out more about them? George
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/16/06 12:19 AM
You'll get what you pay for, at best. Best wishes with it and let us know how it works out.
Posted By: gjw Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/16/06 06:50 AM
George, if you go to the shotgun world web site, DeHaan has its own forum and you can also get to his web site as well.

Good Luck!!

Greg
Posted By: popplecop Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/17/06 12:37 PM
Have both A Dehaan SO and 2 CZ minis 20 and 28 ga. Dehaan is a nicer finished gun, mines a 12 that is used for waterfowl hunting after 3 or 4 years in the duck marsh it is still going strong. The CZs each have had about 700 rds through them with nary a problem, both CZs are Bobwhites as I prefer double triggers. For the money they have done me well so far.
Posted By: BPGuy Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/17/06 08:12 PM
To answer a few questions and add to a few comments above:

You can find out about DeHaan Shotguns at http://www.dhshotguns.com/

There has been some comparison of DeHaan and other Huglu SGs. Here's what Mark DeHaan has to say on that topic:

Quote:
Hello,

There has been a lot of discussion lately about Huglu shotguns with the misconception that all Huglu’s are the same. I very carefully avoid commercializing on this site, but these issues have been raised and I appreciate the opportunity to post a note to clarify it. My main goal is to detail the fact that DeHaan shotguns are NOT the same as “other” Huglu shotguns

What are these differences? While I do not spend a lot of time studying the other distributors’ guns, I know there are differences between our guns and other Huglu shotguns. There are differences in certain specifications (dimensions, finishes, engraving, etc.) as made at the factory. But the biggest difference between our guns and other Huglu guns is what happens after the guns leave the factory. At DeHaan, we do not simply get them in and ship them out. We do a substantial amount of work on each gun to bring it up to our standards before we send it to a customer. The guns from the factory are a bargain and a great start with much excellent craftsmanship, but they definitely need some improvement in certain areas before we will ship them out. My standards are certainly much higher than the factory’s standards. After dealing with many thousands of these guns, I know that anyone who sells the guns “as is” right out of the box without a rigorous quality control program like ours will have significant problems.

At DeHaan, every gun we sell is taken apart and key areas inspected and adjusted if necessary (trigger pull weights, safety smoothness, sear selector block alignment and engagement, firing pin adjustment, proper ease in opening, cosmetic flaws, etc.) Then we test fire every gun to further check for smooth and correct operation. In short, we do all we can to insure that when our guns leave our shop they are fine guns, excellent values, and that the customer will be well pleased with them. Further, we do all we can to give excellent customer service should there be a later problem.

I sometimes get asked – With all my experience with these guns, if I didn’t have any part of this business, would I still buy one? My answer is absolutely yes. I am very convinced that dollar for dollar they are the best value out there. I understand that we are a lesser know entity and there is a certain amount of “other brand loyalty” (some call it snobbery). But to group us with other Huglu’s and their problems is not accurate. Our unique commitment to quality control and customer service sets us apart.

Please contact us directly if you have any specific questions we can help with. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Mark DeHaan and staff at DeHaan Shotguns

Here's a link to the DeHaan Forum on SGW. Disclaimer - It is sponsored by DeHaan SG's, but I believe everything posted there is legitimate, and that's also where I copied/pasted the above quote from.

My opinion of DeHaan Shotguns? I own 2, which together cost me over $4,000 and I'm very satisfied with value for money. I've got a U5E with over 13,000 rds. though it. Both firing pins have been broken and replaced (free of charge) and I've been supplied with 2 spares "just in case" (again free of charge). I've also got an SGr which is a fantastic bargain. A custom made, truly bespoke shotgun for less than an RBL! Better yet, the gun is in hand, while the RBL I had ordered was still just a figment of my imagination. Until I cancelled and bought the SGR, that is.

Here are some pics:

Posted By: improved modified Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/17/06 08:56 PM
Nice Gun BPGuy! I'll post mine after I get it and evaluate it. What grade of wood is that? I got the standard grade. I figured I would dent it up as I slid down a chuckar slope in the West Desert. Makes me feel like I should have upgraded the wood instead of ordering the "other" SXS that had been on order for a year! Shoot Straight.
Posted By: Hansli Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/17/06 09:20 PM
Is the SGR a side plated boxlock or a sidelock?
Posted By: Mike of the Mountain Re: DeHaan S2 SxS Opinion - 12/18/06 03:51 AM
I have an SO 12g. Beautiful gun. Handles well and shoots where I'm looking. I shoot a LOT of sporting clays with it and never had any problems. If you are considering a DeHann, ask for a trigger job. Spoke to Mark, who's very helpful BTW, and he said their triggers are appx 6 1/2 lbs. I asked for 4 1/2 for each and he said no problem, and better yet, no extra charge!!! I can't afford a Fox, Winchester or Elsie, so this gun worked for me. I shot a Stevens 16g (Chicopee Falls, MA) that was my Pappy's favorite gun, for years. It was time for something else, and the Dehann filled the bill. You'll be pleased. Good shooting, and BTW, Merry Christmas!!!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com