doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Patriot USA Suspicious Husky - 02/08/10 06:36 PM

http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=156832670
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/08/10 06:59 PM
Naw, it's just got a pretty severe case of the measles--or is it smallpox.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/08/10 07:03 PM
That's laughable it's so poorly done.
Posted By: Geno Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/08/10 07:19 PM
Ed is loosing his "skills"! laugh
Posted By: Cary Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/08/10 07:52 PM
I just don't believe I'd by that gun.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/08/10 08:38 PM
Ed_1 has posted before that these colorful guns he sells are not 'high-temp torched', but chemically treated and low-heated to make the color. That probably wouldn't be any worse for the gun than the re-color treatment Ithaca recommended for the Perrazi's it imported, and I suspect it is about what Turnbull does to produce the bright colors that come out of his shop. The leopard spots on Ed's guns don't do much for me though...Geo
Posted By: Craig Havener Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/08/10 10:08 PM
Ah, "ED the Torch" , isn't it and oximoran, low temp torch?

Craig
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 12:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Naw, it's just got a pretty severe case of the measles--or is it smallpox.

Must be contagious...

http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=156763370
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 01:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Craig Havener
Ah, "ED the Torch" , isn't it and oximoran, low temp torch?
Craig

Maybe he has started holding the torch further away from the metal???...Geo
Posted By: David Furman Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 01:35 AM
I don't care how it was achieved, that is just hideous looking.
Posted By: ed good Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 02:02 AM
some turn out better than others. beauty is in the eye of the beholder...viva la difference!
Posted By: GJZ Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 02:22 AM
Too bad about that one. I've seen better finished tractors--Soviet ones.
Posted By: Geno Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 07:12 AM
Originally Posted By: GJZ
Too bad about that one. I've seen better finished tractors--Soviet ones.

Case colored Soviet tractors? Give me two! laugh
Posted By: eightbore Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 02:03 PM
A sad end to a Model 51, a great Husky variation.
Posted By: keith Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 02:19 PM
Ed "the Torch" aka Ed "the Genetic Engineer" has accomplished his sinister goal of turning a Huskie into a Leopard. A picture of this would be a good answer the next time someone posts a thread asking how or if they should restore their gun. Short answer; Not like this!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 02:38 PM
I thought he helped the Husky a bit...he just didn't have the torch hot enough.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 03:40 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

The Parker jOe posted about ain't that bad IMHO...Geo
Posted By: NiklasP Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 04:20 PM
Quote "THIS IS A RARE HUSQVARNA 12 GAUGE MODEL 51 HAMMER GUN. SERIAL #94XXX, MADE AROUND 1916." Nonsense!! About 11.000 were made in 12 gauge and about 3.000 in 16 gauge. Made 1911 to 1947. Most common toplever, backaction locks double produced by Husqvarna, mostly because was least expensive (no engraving, etching, etc).

Round body? NAA -- just rounded lockupbox, just like nearly all older Husqvarnas. Is much nicer to carry than wide lockupboxes on A&D receivers.

I have seen several of these "refurbished" M51s -- they are all quite ugly -- don't know who did them. IF steel not ruined, can polish off "case colors" and have nice "French Grey" or "coinfinish".

Excellent handling hammer double, especially with 75-85 cm barrels in 16-gauge. Usually has stock with "modern" dimensions, not those dog-leg, droopy stocks like on old Parkers, etc. Not very best handling of these older top-lever Husqvarnas, at least for me. Models 48 and 52 in 16 gauge give me highest scores on clays and live birds, right up there with my favorite Sauer hammerdouble and Merkel-made kombi. Maybe not to be surprised -- Husqvarna had good working relationship with Sauer re sidelocks and lockupboxes.

Niklas
Posted By: ed good Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 08:59 PM
reminds me of a bunch of old hens......jest ah peckin an scratchin.....pluck, pluck, pluck, swauk!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: ed good
reminds me of a bunch of old hens......jest ah peckin an scratchin.....pluck, pluck, pluck, swauk!

Well, at least you seem to take it all in stride. It ain't personal, but some of'em do turn out ugly. If you could get'em all like that Parker jOe gave the link to, you'd be fine. At any rate, we give you more publicity than you could get with any GunBroker ad...Geo
Posted By: GJZ Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 09:39 PM
Some?
Posted By: yobyllib Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 10:03 PM
Please dont torch those old guns.Simply put, you are only suckerin` the suckers.Huskys arent worth the time enhancing
Real case colors are still mostly ugly,its just if you have no choice,pretty colors are more desireable.Cant do that with a torch!
If you must,a nitre blue would be much better.
Even better,just clean off any remaining colors with a carding brush.
Or leave "as is"?
Posted By: Judge Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 11:40 PM
Niklas -- How likely is the "torch job" to compromise the steel in the receiver? If appearance is the only issue, the colors would be easily removed or muted with a little steel wool.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 11:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

I thought it was one of the worst ones I've ever saw Ed torch.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/09/10 11:58 PM
I have seen Model 51s in all stages of wear and none of them look bad enough to refinish. What an idiot.
Posted By: Steve I. Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/10/10 02:41 AM
I can't believe this guy, hopefully if someone has a chance to intercept guns before they make it to this clown it happens. He contacted me on my Parker I have listed, and when I explained that it was we bone cased when I got he said it was "ruined" While I don't agree with recasing guns all the time, I won't shy away from one that is properly restored and a re-boned gun looks better than a shiney polished receiver, and much much much better than the "low heat" method used by ol' ed here. That gun simply looks like dog crap. I would much rather see a gun "patina" (fancy word for rust) or polished or anything but the abomination of a torch job. Ed please quit destroying guns, or if you choose to "recase" one let it be a belguim clunker...
Posted By: ed good Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/10/10 03:06 AM
pluck, pluck, pluck...squak!
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/10/10 09:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

I thought it was one of the worst ones I've ever saw Ed torch.

Oh............ come on Joe

I bet that gun looks great with the lights OFF crazy

H&H
Posted By: Rd Show Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/10/10 03:00 PM
Keith, that's not a Leopard, the spots and the long neck is a dead giveaway. Its a Gehrrrrrrr affffffff.
Posted By: keith Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/10/10 03:05 PM
some turn out better than others. beauty is in the eye of the beholder...viva la difference!
If this Ed Lander is a "Master Gunsmith", that would make the Puerto Rican kids who spray paint subways "Michaelangelo's".
Posted By: NiklasP Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/10/10 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Judge
Niklas -- How likely is the "torch job" to compromise the steel in the receiver? If appearance is the only issue, the colors would be easily removed or muted with a little steel wool.

Judge,

Those lockupboxes appear to be case hardened on every M51 I have seen -- many had no case colors left, so is logical guess in some cases. Would presume first damage a torch job would do is alter hardness of outside. Second damage might be slight warping. Given that lockupboxes have plenty of metal to serve as heat sinks, one could wonder just how much dimensional damage has really been done. The few re-case-colored M51 I have seen all seem to open and close normally, but, never made any more than quick, visual check. No idea how case-colors were reestablished. No one I know that has one, has shot it much, so no information to offer there.

I personally do not like case colors and polish lockupboxes on my old guns to give a "French Grey" to Ni-plated sort of appearance. None of them had more than little smidges of badly faded casecolors remaining -- some clearly were Ni-plated at some time in past. One seems to have been faux Frenchgrey.

Those old Husqvarnas are seldom hard to clean up. One needs only be careful to clean up the original "netcheckering" and not turn it into diamond checkering (which they never had), steam out dents, clean up metal finishes, look for old reboring, rust pinholes, bad pitts in bores, etc., replace any missing hammer retaining screws, clean up wood surfaces, stabilize oil-rotted wood, give wood a few coats of TruOil, etc. No big deal at at all. Some will have factory warts, such as firing pin holes not precisely centered on primer, seen on some bottom of line guns (which has not kept them from being heavily used in Sweden. Otherwise, abuse has been from shooter or "restoreer".

Niklas
Posted By: eightbore Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/10/10 09:38 PM
Strange, my Model 51 looks just fine as it is. If it were a bit neglected, I could just "hunt" it into a nicer appearance. Again, "What an idiot".
Posted By: yobyllib Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/10/10 10:47 PM
Your good honest use on any Husky is like ANY WINNIE highwalls
Please treat nicely blush
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Suspicious Husky - 02/10/10 11:26 PM
pluck, pluck, pluck...squak!

I bet you say that to all the guys...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com