doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jolly Bill Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/16/10 02:26 AM
Pictures below show the fore end (wood and iron) for an older double barrel shotgun whose barrels are secured with the barrel wedge. Serial number 1599. Possibly a Remington hammer gun?
Would like to have the discussion of its heritage here before posting it in the Classifieds.
Does anyone know what gun it's for? Thanks for any and all help.

Jolly Bill

Bill, it's hard to say. Obviously off of a hammer gun, probably European. With that little knob on the underside of the forend iron, I think of possibly a Daly. No proof in any direction.
Posted By: Craig Havener Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/16/10 02:42 PM
Looks like a Parker lifter action forend!

Craig
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/17/10 12:26 AM
Daryl and Craig,

Thanks so much for your respected opinions.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

Thanks, Jolly.
Early Euro hammergun.

OWD
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/17/10 03:15 AM
Looks like a German sourced German-American finished/peddled version.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: reb87 Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/17/10 01:51 PM
I think most or all Parkers had metal forend tips. I have a similar forend on a EM Riley. Ill take some pics later. I think the milled out part where it meets the action is unique and may be the key to identification. My EM Riley dosent have the little milled step.
Ross
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/18/10 04:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. Still sort of a mystery.

Jolly
Bill, I think the fancy engraving on the escutcheon for the pin eliminates most American hammerguns except high end imports. The engraving looks more British, but I don't associate horn tips with them as often as the Continental guns.
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/19/10 03:45 AM
Daryl,

Very good points. May not be a piece that would be sought after.

Jolly
Just looked at and Ingram from Scotland. It did have the cross pin and the horn tip.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/20/10 01:11 AM

Georg Lindner hammergun

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/20/10 03:43 AM
ellenbr/Raimey;

Thanks for posting the pictures. That fore end looks pretty close.

Two noted differences: the wedge comes out the other side of the fore end and the two screws holding the iron to the wood are on the same side of the barrel lug opening in your specimen.

Not likely a very common gun.

Jolly
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/20/10 03:56 AM

So were their left hand versions forend versions for muzzleloaders or are these forend pin reversable like muzzeloader versions?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/22/10 01:39 AM
ellenbr/Raimey,

Not sure if the fore end wedge can be easily reversed as it seems to be pinned so it slides out to the left as it looks like from the picture of the unknown fore end below.

I guess some nice gun someplace could use the correct fore end.

Thanks again for your help.

Jolly
Posted By: reb87 Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/22/10 01:58 AM
Finally got the pics taken.
Here are forends from my WC Scott,WC Scott,George Fuller,EM Reilly. The two are Remington 1873 and Early Parker. The parker is the one with metal tip all the rest have bone or ebony. Notice none of them have the milled portion like yours does around the slot in the knuckle. I still think this is the most identifiable part on your forend.

Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/23/10 03:27 AM
reb87,

Thanks so very much for taking the time to get your fore ends together, taking the pictures and posting them.

Judging from looking at your lower pictures, the fore end that I posted the picture of and made the inquiry, looks like your Remington fore end.

Below is a picture of the one that I have and it does look like your Remington.

Any other thoughts?

And thanks again for your efforts.

Jolly

Posted By: Northup87 Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/23/10 04:41 PM
Jolly bill I have the same forearm on a J.S. King 11 Bore from London..... Mine is missing the horn tip but is same inlay pattern and has the brass pin hole that is evident on your forearm. I have yet to see another gun made by this maker but I havent been looking for very long as I just purchased mine 6 months ago....
Posted By: reb87 Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/23/10 06:27 PM
Bill,
It is pretty close but mine dosent have the milled out section around the slot like yours does. Ill go thru Semmers book tonight and see if he shows any early remington forends..Click the link for a closer pic of mine.
closer pic of my forend
Other side of forends
Posted By: reb87 Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/24/10 10:31 AM
I havent looked at Semmers book yet but here is one on gunbroker.

Remington

Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: Can anyone identify this fore end? - 03/25/10 02:28 AM
reb87,

Thanks for posting the picture and the link to the gun on Gunbroker. I looked at that Remington Whitmore hammergun that you referenced and it sure looks pretty close to the fore end that I have.

The friend of mine (Bud Zimmerman from Buffalo, NY) that wanted me to see if I could find out for certain what it was for thought it to be Remington.

I have to thank all that offered some suggestions to my inquiry. A Great Group indeed.

Jolly
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com