doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: D.A.L Purchased Laurona 16ga. sxs - 04/27/10 06:09 AM
Sorry about the long post, but I’m a proud daddy)

Good day all, so I went and done it. After taking everyone’s advice, particularly from the person who said ‘you can never have enough guns’, I went back and paid the $280.00(all in) CDN funds for my used Laurona 16ga. sxs.

The gun is super tight with no wiggle in the action at all (forearm on or off). I rechecked the barrels by ‘ringing’ them again (snapping my fingernail on them this time), and yes, they rang well (for at least 4 to 5 seconds). I had a different man behind the counter this time and he said they, Gagnon’s Sports in Oshawa Ontario, would stand behind the gun, and if I had any issues I could bring it back. He is a fine gentleman hunter from what I could gather.

The gun has auto safety, Greener crossbolt, and black chromed barrels (28”). I believe the inside is chromed also as they cleaned up like mirrors. After I got home I noticed that the top lever screw is a bit askew, probably cross-threaded. I won’t do anything about that or get any work on the gun right now, other than a good clean, oiling, and dressing up some of the screws. The triggers are crisp and with no slop when pulled. When you open the gun with your ear up against the action you can hear two good ‘snaps’ as the pins are cocked (hope I explained that right). No movement at the safety, when on, and the triggers are pulled. When pulling the triggers with a piece of maple up against the breach face(?) the right firing pin sounded ½ as strong of a ‘snap’ as the left pin (he must have been a good shot and rarely used the left barrel ; ). Both pins left a nice indentation in the maple. The pins looked very good.

After looking at least ten other Laurona sxs guns on the net, I noticed that mine has a finer quality of engraving. Maybe that’s just me? It suits my taste none the less. This gun seems to pre-date the Sears models, I believe, as it has no Sears markings. Goggling the serial number gave me no insight. Maybe others will know.

The stock seems to be in good condition except for many scratches. No real big dings or dents but it does have a small chip at the heel. The checkering on the grip seems to be finely done (24 lpi?). The forearm seems to be in similar shape and comes off nicely and ‘snaps’ easily back on. It does have a large black grain on the left side though, and is bit off color compared to the stock..

I hope to shoot it soon, and make the Laurona four proud. (I’m bit of a romantic that way)

Please feel free to add any further info as to the markings, or opinions.

I have posted some pictures in photobucket at the following link –

http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae325/Dolapsch/Laurona/

Thanks for indulging me, Don.
Posted By: popplecop Re: Purchased Laurona 16ga. sxs - 04/27/10 12:09 PM
Good for you, let us know how it works out for you.
Posted By: Patriot USA Re: Purchased Laurona 16ga. sxs - 04/27/10 01:32 PM
Lauronas are underated and underpriced IMO.

You didn't make your pics 'public'; can't see them.

If your gun has an X after the model number, it has chrome bores.
Posted By: D.A.L Re: Purchased Laurona 16ga. sxs - 04/27/10 02:45 PM
Here's the link again.

[img]http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae325/Dolapsch/Laurona/[/img]

No X behind the serial number by the way.
Posted By: D.A.L Re: Purchased Laurona 16ga. sxs - 04/27/10 02:53 PM
Try this

http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae325/Dolapsch/Laurona/
Posted By: rayhunts Re: Purchased Laurona 16ga. sxs - 04/27/10 05:06 PM
You should have told me were it was I'd have offered 300 and saved you all the trouble. Now what would you sell that broben messed up screw gun for. Give you $250 tax included
Posted By: D.A.L Re: Purchased Laurona 16ga. sxs - 04/27/10 07:40 PM
Thanks, for your generous offer Rayhunts ;), I think I'll keep her!

Don.
Posted By: D.A.L Re: Purchased Laurona 16ga. sxs - 04/27/10 11:03 PM
With help from a Spanish gun lover site I found out that my gun was made in 1962 (The year I was born). The barrels are chrome lined with Blued (black actually) exteriors.
Choked Mod to imp mod, and full to full plus.The top lever screw may not be cross-threaded, just needs to be turned so the slope matches the lever surface.

Anybody have a good way to clean up the stock a bit, sanding excluded? Something like a good wipe down and re-oil.

Thanks L.Brown and all, for your valued advice.

Thanks,
Don.
Posted By: Patriot USA Re: Purchased Laurona 16ga. sxs - 04/28/10 03:08 AM
Just wipe her down with Clennzoil; good for metal and nourishes wood.
Posted By: D.A.L Re: Purchased Laurona 16ga. sxs - 05/02/10 02:27 AM
So I shot the Laurona today and it definitely went BANG. I patterned it with two factory game loads, Kent Upland, and two I reloaded myself. The barrels are marked Mod and extra full, but it shoots just like my Antonio Zoli, almost to the exact pellet count, in a 20" and 30" dia. circle, which makes it fuller and fullerest.

On my first trap run I hit 11 for 25 and my second 15 for 25. The guys around me pointed out that ‘that’s not a gun you should use for trap’. I agreed and stated I’m just practicing for those pesky grouse and ducks.

When I get some cash I will certainly open up the chokes or install screw in’s. I’m pretty happy with my $280 spent so far.

Don.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com