doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: hotrack 16 Gauge low pressure loads 1oz and 7/8 oz - 05/23/10 01:12 AM
Just aquired a nice fluid steel barrelled G E Lewis 16 bore and looking for recipies in 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads

Thanks

Hotrack
I have an extremely lightweight 16 gauge French gun with very thin barrels that I shoot Federal 1 ounce loads with. It was originally chambered for 2.5" shells, I extended the forcing cones and use the 2.75" Federals. I've shot about 3-4 flats through the gun with no problems.
Steve
Join the 16 ga Society's pressure group. Here's the link: http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=921

More low pressure loads than you can try in a lifetime.

It's the best $20 I ever spent on my 16 gauge. BTW my Joseph Lang was built in 1866 with replacement damascus barrels by James Woodward that date from 1872 or earlier. I've put over 2,650 cartridges through it in a little over 2 years - about 400 RST factory loads and 2,250 of my low pressure reloads. I only load 7/8th ounce in mine in deference to 144 year old wood.

I would never shoot SAAMI standard american factory loads in guns as old as ours. You might never have a problem but then again .......
I would like to make a minor correction to FlyChamps post.

The 16 Gauge Reloaders Group is a seperate organization from 16ga.com and is in no way affiliated with 16ga.com although many 16 gauge shooters are members of both.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com