doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Shotgunjones Beretta stock refinishing - 06/19/10 01:06 AM
Gents:

I recently purchased for a decent price a Beretta 687 SIlver Pigeon Sporting. This one dates to the early 90's. It's the original SP, dull nickel finish with the original roll engraving. It's my favorite frame finish of all the various variations.

The wood is very plain, and has that gawdawful satin finish that everything that touches it leaves a white mark. Beretta makes very good guns, but their stock finishes are terrible.

I was going to put a Cole stock on it, and jazz it up a bit until I measured the frame width. It's the old 'heavy' style and none of Cole's wood will fit it!

Q: Is it possible to strip this plastic crap off, enhance the grain, and oil it?

Has anyone removed this finish? Clues on bringing out what grain figure there is?

Thanks in advance
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Beretta stock refinishing - 06/19/10 01:11 AM
You may want to look at this link Beretta 686 stock refinish
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Beretta stock refinishing - 06/19/10 01:34 AM
Thanks. That one came out nice.

I may farm this out...
Posted By: Hansli Re: Beretta stock refinishing - 06/19/10 02:00 AM
Some of that plain Beretta wood moves up a grade once the factory finish and tint is stripped and an oil finish is applied. I've been surprised more than once. Some stripper and some acetone or Wonko it and see what you get.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Beretta stock refinishing - 06/19/10 10:58 PM
When I saw "stripped it" in the instructions, I wondered where the next forty pages would start. Read further and you will find that "strip it" entails more than "strip it". It's not impossible, it just takes a little patience and agressive stripper. My first effort came out great. It was a 682X Trap stock that I modified to go on a vent rib Model 42 Winchester. It is a wonder gun for sure.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com