doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HackCW Source for leather for leather covered pads. - 06/23/10 04:27 PM
Anybody have a good source for leather for leather covered pads.
In past threads from 3-4 years ago several members mentioned using leather taken from purses and other leather goods picked up in thrift stores. Maybe someone on the board has saved a few of those threads.
Good luck!
Steve
Just recived a goatskin hide that is fully cured,very nice and a good value at $20. Comes from an outfit in Gloverville, NY, they sell hides on E Bay and the quality is great.
bill
I don't know where you live but every Tandy leather store has bins full of remnants for very little. I use lambskin myself and it is not expensive.
I am refitting the interiors of several new and old hard cases, both leather and canvas/leather. When I have time, I scour the local thrift stores looking for ladies' shoes, boots, and purses, and sometimes find leather that is both good quality and already aged. It's a crap shoot, but every once in a while I get lucky.
Anyone have any opinions on pigskin vs goatskin, lambskin, etc.
Galazan has the best I have found. Blemish free and the right thickness.
Birdbuster, I saw those online and have ordered a few. Should give me a standard to compare any cheaper source by.

Thanks
The Leather Factory or Tandy Leather Co have been supplying my leather for 20+ years. I buy both pig and goat skins by the whole side. Depending on the markings and the thickness of the skin I can get five to eight pieces 7"X9". This will cover most any pad needed....except.... 1 1/2" pads. The piece needs to be larger.
Dennis, thanks for your input. Any advice from you is always appreciated.

Gary
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com