doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tyler Gunbroker.com question - 07/09/10 04:20 PM
I have been looking at a SBT on gunbroker.com for a couple of weeks. The seller has a 501 A+ rating but I have written him several times and received no reply. I have also sent him my phone number (both cell and toll free at the office) with no results. Is there some place replies might go rather than my email account? Any suggestions? With a no returns policy I hate to bid on a gun without discussing it first. Seems to be a good gun at a reasonable price. I can not understand why the seller would not respond to an iterested buyer. Thanks.
Posted By: gjw Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/09/10 04:50 PM
Hello, well there are a couple things why he has not answered you yet. Just my take mind you:

1) He's on vacation, it's that time of year

2) He's ill

3) In jail!!

4) Just does not care if he sells or not

5) He's a crook

A couple of these are tounge in check (to some degree). I've sold a couple on GB and always make a point to get back to someone as fast as I can, after all, I want to sell. On the other hand, I've also asked questions with no answer just as you have. In this case, if I don't receive an answer in a reasonable amount of time, I just forget about it. Not worth the hassle if the guy is less than honest.

Also, I never buy from a seller with a no return policy. Gives the appearence that something is wrong with the gun and he wants to dump it. Most of the times, sellers with these policies know that somethig is wrong and will not tell you regardless how many questions you ask. If you give them bad feedback, he can always say he told you. His word against yours.

Even if the guy is not at home, most folks who want to sell have the ability to check their e-mails regardless of where they are.

Sellers may have great ratings, but are they recent or not. In a lot of cases you just need to go with your gut feeling, if it does not seem right, then more than likely it's not.

Just remember, there will always be another gun coming down the pike, maybe in better shape or cheaper. Half the fun is looking.

Best of luck to you, hope things work out in your favor!

Greg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/09/10 06:17 PM
Tyler, I am afraid that is the way a lot of business is done nowa-days. If the gun is worth the extra effort hang in there. I have stopped visiting these sites much because when I find a gun that interests me I have to keep asking the same questions everytime as they are seldom up front with the info. Chokes, barrel length, LOP, Drop, cracks, dents, function. That's the way its done now!
Posted By: Tyler Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/09/10 06:37 PM
The first auction has expired and he relisted the gun. Seems strange that this guy could successfully sell over 500 guns acting like this. It is certainly something I can live without. Thanks for your comments.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/09/10 06:47 PM
Hi Tyler,
I was unable to find the ad you referred to. I'd like to read it, if you'll give us the item number. I see more and more ads lately, that say "as is, no returns". Opinions may differ on that policy and that's whole 'nother topic. The one thing I would offer to your post is that better protocol might be for you to call him. That's JMO, of course. There are a lot of lookie-loos out there, who are too cheap to make a phone call on their nickel. Some of them will start off by asking questions that were answered clearly in the seller's description but they were too lazy to read. Armed, up front, with the no-return policy, I would certainly make voice contact with the seller and ask all the right questions, before making your decision. If you're not satisfied with his answers, don't buy.
Posted By: tut Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/09/10 07:43 PM
I've been bitten twice on the no return policy. Both times the gun has poor pictures and a poorer description. Thus I should have figured things out. However, in my case the fellow fully answered my questions, but lied through his teeth. So in short, unless I see real good pictures I don't bother. That old saying one picture is worth a thousand words is confirmed all the time. Also, I have on more then one occasion sent emails asking something everyone should ask, "What's a phone number I can call you at so we can talk"? If I don't get a response to that I don't bother.

Lastly, I appreciate a sellers dilemma to a degree. I had one guy returned a sxs one time because the fellow didn't like the way it felt??? Nothing wrong with the gun, just didn't feel right. I had the 3 day no questions asked policy and literally was ready to jump off a bridge. That gun was over $2,000.

Talked to another dealer who told me he sold everything as is, because he once had a model 12 returned with parts missing. Turned into "They weren't there" and "Yes they were you a**hole" and he ended up eating the gun.

Lots of stories like the above out there. All that said, I spend a lot of time wheeling and dealing and love it. Your just gonna take on on chin from time to time.
Posted By: Tyler Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/09/10 07:52 PM
If there was a number I would certainly call him. As I stated earlier, I even gave him a toll free number here at the office. Here is the id of the gun: Auction # 177617792 I am still interested but there are a lot of bells going off.
Posted By: ed good Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/09/10 09:17 PM
if this seller is who i think he is, he has been a licensed firearms dealer for over 30 years. he is also almost blind and does not hear well. that said, follow your gut and pass if you do not feel comfortable.
Posted By: Tyler Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/09/10 09:39 PM
Ed, I notice you are from NH. If you happen to be near his place I would trust your accessment. It is just a single barrel citori, not a whole lot to go wrong but I would like to at least talk to someone who has seen it. Or if you know his number I would gladly call him.
Posted By: Hansli Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/10/10 12:03 AM
GB is a two way street,bad buyers and some bad sellers. I'm convinced that an astute buyer will do fine. You may not hit a home run every time though, but how much variety is there in your locale? Yet if someone won't return my email, I pass.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/10/10 12:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Tyler
Ed, I notice you are from NH. If you happen to be near his place I would trust your accessment. It is just a single barrel citori, not a whole lot to go wrong but I would like to at least talk to someone who has seen it. Or if you know his number I would gladly call him.

As Ed does not allow anyone to look at his listings in person,having him look at one hands on for you might be shock to his selling system !

There could be many reasons why the seller has not answered your email,although doubtful you may want to check your spam folder,perhaps his is getting routed there in error.
Posted By: ed good Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/10/10 12:23 AM
tyler: i do not get to ri that often. to many mass types down there for my taste...besides if he will not answer your emails, i doubt if he will let me enter his domain. he does have almost 600 positive feedbacks. that says a lot.
Posted By: ed good Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/10/10 12:27 AM
hansli: aint dat de truth. it has been my experience that there are more bad sellers than bad buyers. that is why feedback is so important!
Posted By: ed good Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/10/10 12:29 AM
dave k: i have neither the time nor the patience to deal with tire kickers and bargain hunters. if i did i would open a shop and do gun shows. besides, there is the security issue.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/10/10 12:52 AM
Originally Posted By: ed good
dave k: i have neither the time nor the patience to deal with tire kickers and bargain hunters. if i did i would open a shop and do gun shows. besides, there is the security issue.

There certainly are "issues" with you Ed and they aren't security !

Posted By: Tyler Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/10/10 03:34 AM
Did not mean to open a post that would get personal. Thanks for those that responded. It would only be used a couple of times a year, not a big deal. I will pass unless he decides to contact me. It is a long way from Alabama to RI and life is too short. In the imortal words of Bill Wise, all good.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/10/10 05:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Tyler
... In the imortal words of Bill Wise, all good.

Pete
Posted By: ed good Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/10/10 10:10 AM
tyler: wise choice... as for others getting personal, it seems to be a common happening on this forum, as there seems to be a plethora of malcontents that inhabit these woods. by the way, i have family in fairhope. ever get down that way?
Posted By: Tyler Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/10/10 04:33 PM
One of my best friends and hunting buddies lives at Spanish Fort just north of there along with the Turkey Hunting Ledgend Tom Kelly. When I was a kid we were members of the Fairhope Yacht Club and my parents raced Flying Scotts. I-10 is about a close as I get to Fairhope now. Baldwin County has really grown in the last 30 years.
Posted By: ed good Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/10/10 04:43 PM
yes, it has grown like every place else warm and close to salt water. however, fairhope is still a charming place. it is a relic of the genteel old south that still exists. take your lady there in the spring or fall. you and she will not be disappointed.
Posted By: Tyler Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/11/10 02:50 AM
Pete, I have that same photo of Bill with the dolphin. I was fortunate to meet him at his home a few years back while I was visiting my daughter at St. Andrews in Deleware. He was a true inspriation. He printed out and signed a copy of his story about the old indian guide that he had just written. I do not know if it was ever published but I cherish my signed origional. This board has never been the same without him. In fact that photo is one I have on a rotating digital picture frame. I just looked at it not 15 minutes ago with my youngest daughter just back from camp, small world. Again, all good.
Posted By: Tyler Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/18/10 03:05 AM
Got an email response today. Said he had been busy working on his house. Answered all my questions and sent better photos of views I had requested. No reply as to the lack of inspection period. With 500 good feedbacks I feel FAIRLY comfortable. Now just need to justify the need for a gun I will probably only shoot 3 or 4 times a year. Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Tyler Re: Gunbroker.com question - 07/23/10 02:39 AM
I have bid the reserve at $520. When the auction runs out in a week or so I will find out how I did. Still can not justify it but don't think I will be hurt too bad. Thanks for your help.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com