doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Anonymous Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/29/06 01:07 AM
I have a Uggie 3" 12 ga that I picked up to turn into a duck gun. It has f/m chokes that I'm having opened to ic/m and a chekered butt that I will have cut and a nice recoil pad added - I'll also install slings. That said, the gun is still a light weight, probably under 7lbs but close to it. My question is that I have looked at a Fabarms Classic lion, also st stock, dt, but a tad over 7 lbs, choke tubes . . . would this be a better candidate? I load bismuth so the choke issue is no problem. Is the Uggie strong enough?

Thanks
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/29/06 01:42 AM
You need at least one full choked barrel to be a standard fare fowler. Why go to a gamegun set-up?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/29/06 02:05 AM
Okay . . .makes sense. I generally shoot ducks over decoys - so, my citori is left with the ic.m chokes in,
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/29/06 02:18 AM
If you load your own, then the Uggie is strong enuff - as you can keep the pressure down if you think it should be to be on the safe side.
Over the last year, or so, I've bought two Philly Foxes for ducks. I wanted the traditional M/F chokes in both guns. I wish I'd load my own.
Sounds like it'll be a grand ducker!
Posted By: h d hawg'r Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/29/06 03:31 AM
Lowell, Not to be a smart-aleck, honestly, but what is to keep you from starting to load your own?
Curtis
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/29/06 09:40 AM
I have a PW for loading bismuth - works great. Also load some great7/8 once lead for practice.

How much do the Fox's weigh?
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/29/06 12:04 PM
They're both 12s, an AE with 28" barrels and a Sterlingworth with 30" barrels - no idea, but will give them a weight tonite.
I'm having a friend who reloads concoct some low pressure fowlers for me in the meantime.
Maybe next year I'll give it a go eh!
Posted By: pappyatlaw Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/29/06 04:31 PM
I have regularly shot 3 inch #4 Bismuth in my Model 30. Micheal Orlen did the chambers and forcing cones. I added a Pachmeyer Old English pad. Great gun for teal, wood ducks, and divers. It has worked for mallards as well. I would use it more if it had sling swivels. I can't seem to be able to teach my Lab not to shake off in the presence of my Parker.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/29/06 10:48 PM
Great - thanksfor the feedback. I'm going to install swivels for next season.
Posted By: riflecat Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/30/06 04:28 AM
Setter1, I actually have both a 3" Ugartechea and a Fabarm Classic Lion that I bought with similar thoughts in mind. My personal opinion is that the Fabarm Classic Lion looks like it is built extremely stout and would be a good choice for digesting heavy over the counter waterfowl loads like 3" magnum steel shot, and the barrels and chokes should handle those loads without any problems. My Ugartechea is built like a game gun even though it has 3" chambers, weighing 6.5 lbs., and I don't think I would like to fire the big magnums through it. I also wouldn't fire steel shot through mine without at least opening up its tight chokes. My Classic Lion weighs 8 or 9 oz. more. The only problem with the Classic Lion is that it is much prettier than the Uggie, and I hesitate to take it into the field.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/31/06 01:28 AM
Thanks. I had two concerns - 1) will it handle heavier loads and 2) what will the kick be like. I appreciate all of the comments - hate to start making mods that won't help things much.

I really wish there were matte finish, good quality, side x side's available. Might bea good gun for Ruger to make.

I normally shoot 1 1/4 loads for waterfowl, even through my 3.5" Citori - just don't see the need for the extra pain!

Kevin
Posted By: riflecat Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/31/06 07:41 PM
One more note on the Ugartechea. My particular gun is proofed at 1000kpsi/cm2. Most other 3" chambered guns I see are proofed at 1200kpsi/cm2. Again, that shouldn't be an issue if you roll your own, but may be something to consider if you plan on using factory loads.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 12/31/06 08:45 PM
I don't think you'll want a full choke for steel shot, or a cheap scope, either.
HNY,
JL
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 01/01/07 12:37 AM
I;ll be shooting bismuth at this point anyway. Just checked my uggie and it is 1000 kp/cm2 as well. Going toweigh it too.

I actually have two uggies, one is a 2 3/4, the other is a 3". I also have a Grulla but i don't see that one ever makingit into the duckboat.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 01/01/07 12:54 AM
Do ya think Leggy has a pair of cheap glasses on as he reads this thread?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 01/06/07 08:40 PM
Thanks for your thoughts . . . I really like the idea of developing one of these side by sides into my standard duck gun. Might look for a slightly heavier gun but then again . . .
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 01/07/07 01:17 AM
A well worn 12g 28" or 30" Browning BSS will be cheap and heavy enough and strong enough to digest big 3" loads if you put a pad on it.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Ugartechea for waterfowl - 01/07/07 12:18 PM
Waterfowl does not have to be shot with a disposable gun. For a number of years, I've shot mallards and teal with a London Sle 12b.
...but not from a duckboat - from a shore blind.
A good pre-hunt waxing, and a wipe-down when the Labs shakes has kept the gun in perfect condition.
Btw, I know a couple of grouse hunters that have done more harm to their guns than duckers.
Show me a dinged-up barrel, and a pinned stock and I'll bet its a birdhunter.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com