doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: mario 16-65 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/20/10 06:13 PM
Restored grandfathers shotgun 16ga. Boxlock. Now is a little restored and it´s only for my pleasure.

IT is unknown manufacturer, there are some Belgian proof mark on it. There are also and some unknown. I'll post them later (bad light now).

Raimey, Jani, Lagopus, .. once said, "Quite a puzzle." If you have any idea who might be manufacturer please post .
It's nice to shoot the shotgun, which is 30 years left in an old house in the village.

Thanks, Mario
Posted By: skeettx Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/20/10 10:01 PM
Hello
Can you post picture such as this?

Thanks
Mike
Posted By: skeettx Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/20/10 10:05 PM
Hello
Can you post picture such as this?

Thanks
Mike
Posted By: mario 16-65 Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/20/10 10:51 PM
Mike, Looks like your shotgun, proof mark was 60-70% the same.

PV is in the same place but without a lion on it, small letters on the barrels are in the same positions, as well as mark of their weight. Original butplate not the same.

Tomorrow, I will photograph and put on a post.I am not on the same computer tonight.

Thanks, Mario.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/20/10 10:52 PM
Mario:
Quite the puzzle indeed especially without pic of the marks but I'll give it a stab anyway: Cugir - http://www.umcugir.ro/hunting%20rifle.htm

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: mario 16-65 Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/20/10 11:11 PM
Thank you for joined in Raimey, that really look like,
On the website Cugir writes that only after the Second World War started to produce weapons. "Since 1945 we have produced soviet type weapons and ammunitions", if not mistaken.
My gun is older than that.

Tomorrow I will photograph and post a picture of proof marks.

Thanks, Mario
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/20/10 11:14 PM
Ah, Mario, you knew I couldn't pass up a good puzzle. I look forward to the pics. It might be Czech with Belgian sourced components. I can't remember if the craftsmen near the Cugir Arsenal sourced Belgium or not. In what country was the house in which it was found or located?

What's the language there: http://www.umcugir.ro/index.htm ?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: montenegrin Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/20/10 11:27 PM
As expected, the language is Romanian, Raimey
Cheers,
Jani
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/20/10 11:33 PM
It seems too simple an answer and I wasn't sure. But thanks for the conformation. Just a dialect difference between there & folks in the Czech Republic?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: montenegrin Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/20/10 11:40 PM
The Romanian and Czech languages are very different. While the Czechs are Slavs, Romanians are not.

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: mario 16-65 Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/20/10 11:49 PM
Thank you for your explanation, Jani.
Good night.
Mario
Posted By: PeteM Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/21/10 02:47 AM
Originally Posted By: skeettx

This gun was proofed in Liege in 1927. You may be interested to know that GECO is the abbreviation of Gustav Genschow & Co. founded 1912, former manufacturer of pistol and revolver cartridges.

I believe this Berlin firm was put out of business by the Nazis. Today, they are a subsidiary.
http://www.genschow.com/English/Firma_e/firma_e.htm

Pete
Posted By: mario 16-65 Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/21/10 12:31 PM
Here are pictures of the proof mark,

The last picture was proof mark of the Belgian shotgun, which looks like mine. Maybe my gun was for export?
Skeettx gun has the similar proof mark, Is it Belgium? Mike
Thanks, Mario
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/21/10 12:47 PM
Mario:
You didn't get many more winks(sleep) than I did!!! And there again is that "Y" and the horseshoe, so I'd guess those were Romanian? At a minimum the longarm was sourced in "in the white" from Liege and looking at the worn marks on the water table, it appears some finishing effort was applied in the country that uses the "Y" and horseshoe stamps. In what country did you locate it?

Previous Puzzle

Current Puzzle. Same trouble-maker letter of a date stamp. I'd venture to say that some of the Belgian proofmarks were "erased" and the "Y1" and horseshoe stamps.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: mario 16-65 Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/23/10 05:16 PM
I'm from the Croatia, Eastern Europe. Eastern neighbor of Slovenia (Jani)
I agree with you Raimey, "Y" and horseshoe stamps are probably from the Kingdom of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs, or it is some Yugoslavian marks(Y). With us the government replaced very quickly.
Will you guys compare the following pictures, with my gun.
style, engraving, .. it looks the same except sideplate which is completely different,(nicer) than mine.

And other pictures of barrel,etc,.. looks like the same gun, zoom engraving.
Thanks, Mario.
Posted By: PeteM Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/23/10 06:54 PM

This gun was proofed in Belgium. I believe it was proofed in 1954. But it is missing proof marks. I think Raimey is correct. The cold war was heating up. It could have found it's way into a country that did not recognise the Brussels Convention and was reproofed there.

Hopefully, Geno or Jani can jump in here. I have nothing on those Y and U marks.

Pete
Posted By: mario 16-65 Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/23/10 07:27 PM
I totally agree with you Pete, Thanks. but look at this picture that I sent by Raimey From Dr. Drew Hause's site:http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17575181
Post 1924 Dumoulin Lambert" has a very similar date code stamp with the same spangled "x" controller's mark. Drew gives 1928. Raimey showed it to me in previous posts. Maybe a small letter "g", from:
[url=http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html][/url]
, then it should be 1928, if not mistaken. Thank you very much for your efforts, I appreciate it.

Here's another picture to compare, I do not want to be boring.
The gun in the picture is the same Dumoulin manufacturer.

Me, really looks the same.
Posted By: PeteM Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/23/10 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: mario 16-65
I totally agree with you Pete, Thanks. but look at this picture that I sent by Raimey
From Dr. Drew Hause's site:http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17575181
from .. http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html
then it should be 1928, if not mistaken. Thank you very much for your efforts, I appreciate it.

You are in part quoting my own site to me.....

Start with the controller of proof mark Star over X. That sets the possible span of years. Is the mark of the Controller of Proof, Alfred Reignier, who worked at the proof house 1937 to 1964. So throw out all the 1920's dates.

The year code is not H or G. It is the Greek letter lambda. That falls during the working life of Alfred Reignier. Lambda is the year code for 1954. It is also during the cold war. None of your 1920's date meet all that criteria either.

Pete
Posted By: mario 16-65 Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/25/10 05:03 PM
Thanks Pete, I read this forum about a year and a half to learn something, I'm not expert but with you guys I loved Double guns.

What do you say to a comparative picture, it looks the same except sideplate which is completely different than mine. I want your opinion.
Please enlarge and compare them.

I can send some pictures if necessary, everything else looks the same.
Thanks, Mario.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/25/10 05:20 PM
I've starred at it for some time and can't say what it is. I've penned Lambada many, many times and it never resembled that. But accessory info will validate the time period as PeteM has researched and noted. Here are a few variants:

copy & paste
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Greek_cursive_variants_Lambda.svg

Previous Puzzle

Current Puzzle.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: mario 16-65 Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/25/10 05:42 PM
Here is another gun at Cabelas, which has the same mark as mine. You're sent in previous posts Raimey.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11653

Upper picture gun proof mark.There is little "i" that gives year 1930, Inspector Mark P from * above: DELLCOMUNE Adolph giving 1952-1960, How can that be? I'm not exactly clear. Maybe I'm wrong, but you correct me. I ask your opinion on this proof mark's.
Thanks, Mario.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 08/25/10 08:08 PM

Additional data of another controller's mark - from Mario's Cabela's reference.
Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: mario 16-65 Re: 16 GA unknow manufacturer (pics) - 09/03/10 11:20 PM

DOES ANYBODY HAS A CLUE ABOUT PROOF MARK OF UPPER GUN, if we could clarify, really made me interested.

RAIMEY,thanks for the image you've post for me.
Is it my gun a Belgian guild gun, maybe some kind?

Thanks, Mario.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com