doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne O brothers, where art thou? - 09/23/06 02:36 PM
If owd Lowell, with the help of his wife can post pictures, why can't you?
Are your guns/rifles -
Too rare, and valuable to be shown on the net?
Maybe, they're not all their cracked-up to be?

Some members, the most critical of the lot, never post pics of their guns.
Do you ever wonder why????????????????
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/23/06 02:48 PM
Lowell, just because someone showed you how to post doesn't mean that everyone a. has time, b. has a camera, c. wants to, d. cares.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/23/06 03:15 PM
Come on Mike, I've been posting pictures for years. My out-dated Olympus Camedia proves it.
This is the internet digital nation, and there are no reasons not to.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/23/06 03:24 PM
Lowell, I've posted quite a few myself. I'm just saying that it's real hard just to get some of these good folks on the computer let alone posting pics.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/23/06 04:14 PM
I've posted quit a few myself Mr.Lowell could I see a close up of the Beesly barrels ?....since you're in a picture posting mood.
L.F.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/23/06 04:21 PM
I refuse to turn on my cell phone. If I want to talk to anyone I will call them. Photography has no ever been of interest to me. I tried it years ago, tried it again about five years ago when digital took over and still just do not care to take photos. In fact I would rather load a box of shell on a 600 Jr..

I gave all my cameras to my wife and kids and they are happy. Thank God for digital because if they had been shooting film we have big $ in ugly pictures of crap I do not care about. Now every thing is burned onto disc and stored for life.
Posted By: JM Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/23/06 04:45 PM
Is this one of those "show me yours, I'll show you mine" kind of invitations?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/23/06 05:07 PM
Thorny,
Some years past, I was in magazine photographer/writer mode, and bought some cameras that were not digital, and not 35mm.

I don't have much to write about anymore, and the only camera I own is a lowly Cannon TX, 1970 vintage, purchased used from the St. Paul school system, and "hot rodded" if you will, with a later model Cannon 1.4 AE lense, which doesn't work in automatic mode, of course, but still gives up crisp, color saturated photos.

When everything was said and done, every picture I ever sold to a magazine came out of that little camera. Several photos appeared in articles by others (including our own Larry Brown) and nobody complained.

Since I'm just getting the whole film thing figured out, I'm hesitant to move to digital, same as folks were hesitant to move from black powder to smokeless. I'll be dragged kicking and screaming, someday, but, not today.

And you have already seen my Tobin, anyway.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/23/06 08:27 PM
Lowell
Knowing what a Francophile you are, here's a picture of the buttstock on my Manufrance Robust. I'll take some pictures tomorrow when the sun comes out again, just for you .

Steve
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/23/06 09:16 PM
doc, the way things are here, you'll have to show me the whole gun
Who knows, you might just be an owner of nothing more than a French butt stock.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/23/06 09:59 PM
Oui! But what a pretty butt stock it is, mon ami.
Steve
I'll post a better picture tomorrow.

Oh hell, here it is today...

Sorta crappy picture but that's what you get for impatience.
It's not even my favorite French gun, that one is currently with the gunsmith being put back on face (I was getting tired of making beer can shims for it), I'll post a picture of it when I get it back.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/24/06 01:18 AM
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/24/06 01:42 AM
Yeti...you shouldn't show Lowell things like that. You know those Damascus barrels scare him and pin fire to boot. He won't sleep tonight.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/24/06 12:07 PM
I doubt LG will lose a wink over this poor cousin...but I'll keep my guns from the Axis Powers off his thread.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/24/06 01:19 PM
Now THAT is funny!
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/24/06 01:21 PM
Hey Steve!
What method is the 'Smith going to use to put it back on the face?

Just curious.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/24/06 03:21 PM
He's going to pin-punch the barrel hook... JUST JOKING ! He's going to use the British method of dovetailing a piece of metal and recutting/filing the hook.
Steve
Posted By: Cody Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/24/06 04:26 PM
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/25/06 04:01 AM
Cody-
Care to explain what that stunning piece is? All I can say is wow...
Posted By: Cody Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/25/06 12:24 PM
StormsGSP, it's a 12g that I built just over a year ago. The barrels were salvaged from a JABC and were 32" long. They now measure 30 15/16" including the breech plugs. The stock has a 14 1/2" LOP (to the front trigger), 1 3/16 drop at comb and 2 3/8" drop at heel. I'm building another one now which will have the same LOP but I will add another 1/8" at comb and 3/16 at the heel. This one stocked in english, the new one likely in black. The new one will be 14g, unless I can figure out how to fix a small patch of pitting on a set of 36" 16's that I have (a real heartbreaker). I expect this new one to be much improved over this one. Thanks for the kind words

Cody
Posted By: PeteM Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/25/06 12:59 PM
Cody,

Very nice flintlock gun! Did you do the locks yourself? How about the trigger guard? Do you do these just for yourself? Do you ever do percussion shotguns?

Pete
Posted By: Cody Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/25/06 01:30 PM
Thanks Pete. On this one, I used L&R late english locks and did a fair bit of cutting and welding to try to get them more in line with proper english locks. On this new one, I got lockplate, cock and frizzen castings from Peter Dyson and am just making the guts myself. On the one pictured, the locks and barrels are the only things I didn't make. The trigger group, butt plate breech plugs, standing breech and all the screws etc I made. This new one will be the same except I'm making most of the lock parts as well. I only build these for myself and have never made a percussion gun.

Cody
Posted By: PeteM Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/25/06 05:50 PM
Cody,

You are very talented. Congrats on building such a fine gun!

Pete
Posted By: Anonymous Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/25/06 07:42 PM
Does posting require webspace? I don't have any that I know of. Wish I knew how to post.
Posted By: rabbit Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/25/06 08:24 PM
LG:

I've posted so many pix of garden variety guns which are the love of my life and a big HoHum to the big dogs. After shooting Millbrook with a guy with a pair of A&S hammer self-cockers and another with a beautiful 4E Fluesie, I don't really think I've got the nerve. Wanna see a picture of my very-nearly-almost minty and OT Savage 23D? I didn't think so. Got original Savage and Weaver paper with it. Still no? Thought so.

flat-liner jack
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/25/06 08:59 PM
...and I liked them all Rabbit!
I really like your SAC gun pics, I found some magic in 'em.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/25/06 09:25 PM
doc, thanks for the heads-up over at ssmbbs.
Owd thorny, was a love hate thing there, tho I'd think hate would be the first responce from most of the membership.
Maybe I'll start posting again.
Posted By: M.Harney Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/25/06 10:13 PM
Cody,

Stunning flinter...you do good work!

Lowell well maybe it ain't a best but she's the best I've got. Made for bradell's by B&P in '07. Bought by some lucky bloke in Belfast for 16 guineas. Perhaps a change of cartridges could make you beesley as useful. The bird is the first in my collection of american state birds; it tasted pretty good; hope the meadowlark is as toothsome.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/25/06 10:34 PM
I've my Westley Richards Classics 1oz in 6s and 7s still left-over. Four boxes of 'em!
I figure that I have a 20 year supply!
Btw, your gun looks and acts with the best of them!
Posted By: Mike Armstrong Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 09/26/06 01:38 PM
Harney, that's "Best enough" for me! And do I love the paint job on them "California" quail (probably the only thing from California that they appreciate up your way....).

Rabbit, I for one will look at any picture of any gun as long as it isn't black and made of plastic. So bring on your 23D! I've got a 23B to match.
Posted By: rabbit Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 06:22 PM
Lowell, here are some of 1918 Flues. It will allow entree to shoot with collectors or collect with shooters, or something.

jack

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 06:37 PM
Incredible wood Jack-but what's the deal with 'YYHACA.N.Y .'? (just asking and NOT being a wise a**) Is the left side Ithaca similar?
and that pheasant needs to have a thyroid check!(that was sorta smarta** )
Posted By: rabbit Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 06:58 PM
Doc:

I like the dogs and curlicues better but this is what I got. I also think the Chinee Chicken looks constipated; the duck looks slightly more natural but only slightly.

I just looked at the gun and it's clearly "Ithaca" on both sides and I don't detect an abrasion or nick. Photos can reveal a good deal of gnrr and phnu which aren't always apparent otherwise. I have a color photo of a figure in a grey shroud[?] with hood sailing an old Lippincott Comet. It should be me sailing it but I was wearing a white t-shirt? Bit eerie. Comes under the heading trick of the light or somebody else's problem--I hope!

jack
Posted By: CptCurl Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 07:08 PM
Ok, I'll play. Here are a couple photos of my Purdey 12 bore. It's a 1931 game gun with original heavy proof. Weighs just under 7 lbs. 28" barrels, and a dream to shoot.

Curl
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 07:12 PM
The script is slanted to the left, and with the endplates on the cross of the 'T' it looks from this angle like YYHICA.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 07:19 PM
Thanks Rabbit, ShotgunJones and CptCurl. I'm going to add the sidelock pic to my Case Color examples PictureTrail.
Posted By: JayCee Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 07:50 PM
Rabbit, I am almost sure these were the ones you mention:

JC(AL)
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 08:14 PM
Glad you all played, great pics and great guns!
Posted By: Ortolan Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 08:23 PM
O Capt. (Curl), My Captain -

Had to pop another Norvasc when I viewed your '31 Purdey! - Elmer must surely be spinning in his grave at this baby. Definitely a 'Pinchon Hammer' with that 1 1/4 oz. proof. Latest - heard the Doc cleaned Niles & Kim for another screamer Watson Bros. 2-bbl. smallbore on the way home from he 'Vinegars.' "Researcher" and I dropped in there Sunday on the way home thinking that the Doc had succumbed to that 16-bore Woodward - the lovely Kim set us straight with a private viewing of the new Watson set. I was so smitten (with the Watson, of course) that I bought another rare and valuable dog trophy out of the display case. Since I couldn't have the Watson (or the Woodward!) and didn't like the naked woman motif on the Bodsen-engraved Diana S/P, I went with the second place winner's cup at the Cumberland County Field Trials as a consolation prize. Isn't it all grand? KBM
Posted By: rabbit Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 09:57 PM
JayCee:

Yes, that is the hammergun. Lockplates may have had a bit more scratching but it was--uh--restrained.

jack
Posted By: rabbit Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 10:04 PM
Sorry Lowell, I had to eat the watermelon before the gun arrived. I thought the English ivy was the right touch as this old itinerant has been to Birmingham to take a couple of pills and is so-marked.

jack
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/18/06 11:52 PM
A pair of 12 and 20 Spanish Best.

Posted By: h d hawg'r Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 12:49 AM
I wish I had a little bit of puter sense so I could post pictures of my 4E Flues, 1911 I think. I'd just like to compare the engraving with Jack's (rabbit's). If my memory is working half right I think mine has grade 3 engraving, does Jack's have the true grade 4 engraving?
Curtis
Posted By: Tato Head Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 01:22 AM
Well, it's not much compared to some of the beauties on this thread, but here's a pic of my "old reliable" USAF LC field grade with recent quarry.

Posted By: rabbit Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 01:33 AM
What are they, Larry? Look sort of Teutonic.

Curtis, you say you've got one of these super-naif Ithicys that look like the inside of a Presbyterian church and we haven't seen it? Don't know about the 3 pattern on the 4. I guess that's possible; I'm sure Ansley would have let you pay for a FE engraved like a Sterlingworth but what I don't know about Ithaca has already filled one thread this week. Near as I can tell there's "early" (dogs and scroll) and "late" (stickbirds and broadleaf weeds) on the 4. There's a damascus 4 on GunBroker which is pretty nice as an engraved object and probably looks very much like your 1911. Mine's 1918 and isn't but I got strange swamped-rib barrels which have been to Britain to take some blue pills. Some of the real Ithacanados have kept me from fainting dead away over the Brit proofmarks by assuring me that the barrel set is kosher and possibly even desirable.

jack
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 03:27 AM
They look Teutonic because they are clones of the Merkel 303 series guns. Made by Ignacio Ugartechea as live pigeon guns, they claim these are the best guns ever turned out by their shop. I have compared them side by side with locks off to a genuine Merkel 303 and promise you these are better made guns. And I love Merkels, I have three of them.
Posted By: Tuomo Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 07:09 AM
Merkel 200E:

[url= http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=442941&c=552&z=1"] [/url]

[url= http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=442942&c=552&z=1"] [/url]

Holloway & Naughton:

[url= http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=442943&c=552&z=1"] [/url]

[url= http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=442944&c=552&z=1"] [/url]

And CZ 550 Magnum, caliber .416 Rigby in action: http://www.freewebs.com/finedouble/IMG_1117.JPG
Posted By: mike campbell Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 01:41 PM
OK, Lowell,

Here's a couple of my "uppity farmer's guns" you're becoming interested in

Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 02:13 PM
Not your run-of-the-mill Sunday pot-luck dinner guns eh.
They're rural uppish, and handsome, all rolled into one!
Sterlingworths - sir?
Tho' these would look outta place in the gun racks of the local VFW Hall's weekly bingo and meat shoot.
Posted By: mike campbell Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 02:56 PM
Yep, just a couple of Sterlingworth farm girls dressed up for the barn dance. A short, petite 20 from Philadelphia and a taller, sturdier 16 from Utica.
Posted By: Mike Armstrong Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 02:57 PM
Super display, Mike. (The guns are OK, too....open PGs, downright edible wood, Fox mechanicals--if I sound like a menu, it's getting close to lunchtime; besides "Lowell started it." "Pot-luck dinner guns," indeed!).
Posted By: Mike Armstrong Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 03:07 PM
Tato, that's a chukar and a Hun, right? (I've been out of Idaho so long I can barely recognize my old foes...). When I lived there I had an LC Smith Featherweight Field 16 that had a high rib and was also US (Army Air Corps, no AF then) proofed. It had come all the way from the Syracuse Army Depot to the Idaho Panhandle only to get traded for a rebuilt engine back in Upstate New York in one of my dry spells ten years later. Damn shame; I made the best shot I've ever made with that Elsie; a double on supersonic chukars coming down canyon straight at me. Took one coming and one going; gun was IC/Very full.
Posted By: CptCurl Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 03:19 PM
Ortolan,

Yeah, Doc shelled out a big wad of kale on the Watson 2 bbl. set. It's a super gun, but my choice whould have been the Woodward 16 bore, if I had the means.

Best,
Curl
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 03:21 PM
What a great thread!
Keep those pics coming (just wish I had something worth contributing :rolleyes: )
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 04:23 PM
A little Merkel 201EL Luxus. Sorry about the hang tag, this was the ad photo I bought it from several years ago.

Posted By: Tato Head Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Armstrong:
Tato, that's a chukar and a Hun, right? (I've been out of Idaho so long I can barely recognize my old foes...). When I lived there I had an LC Smith Featherweight Field 16 that had a high rib and was also US (Army Air Corps, no AF then) proofed. It had come all the way from the Syracuse Army Depot to the Idaho Panhandle only to get traded for a rebuilt engine back in Upstate New York in one of my dry spells ten years later. Damn shame; I made the best shot I've ever made with that Elsie; a double on supersonic chukars coming down canyon straight at me. Took one coming and one going; gun was IC/Very full.
Correct you are, sir! The Chukkar meat was as white as a supermarket chicken. It's been one of the best years ever for Idaho Quail, Chukkar, and Hungarians.

You are also correct about the AF being the Army Air Corp during this time. I guess I used the term "USAF" because that is what the proof shows (actually USA-F). I'll re-post a picture of the proof. The folks on the LC board said that the identity of the "F" is still a mystery.

Regardless, I practically feel "not worthy" to post among such fine classics! Hopefully, I'll get a chance to own a premium grade American or English double at some point.

Posted By: Mike Armstrong Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 08:29 PM
Tato, I think an LC Smith owner can hold up his head in any company.

I agree that the chukar is the best eating bird--too bad you have to risk snakebite, falling off the mountain, and either dying of thirst or hypothermia to get 'em on the plate. I used to recommend a diet of pure chukar to those who wished to lose weight...fast!

That USA-F stamp is a puzzler. If it were USA-FA, I'd have a theory. But it clearly isn't.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 10:17 PM
1933 Merkel 16 S x S new case colors by Don Menk

Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 10:20 PM
1920's Max Fischer 16 ga round body, 5 1/2 lbs shoot all day

Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 10:23 PM
J P Sauer 20 ga Royal, original case colors, sweet.

Posted By: dblfever Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 11:39 PM
A couple pics of my 20ga Gr4, those are original colors.. ,
Posted By: dblfever Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/19/06 11:44 PM
Sorry about the huge pic above but when i made that one small you couldnt even see th feather in the stock....
Posted By: rabbit Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/20/06 12:31 AM
DBL:

That Fluesie is huge in more ways than one! No 95 percenters for me. I'm envious but I'd worry myself to death about wear and tear on that one.

jack
Posted By: dblfever Re: O brothers, where art thou? - 10/20/06 12:58 AM
That gun has thousands of miles and a couple hundred birds under her belt since i have owned her, no worse for wear so far.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com