doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: zwego Cartridge Bag - 08/28/10 09:43 PM
I am going to the Vintager shoot in MD and wanted to take/use a cartridge bag instead of my typical clays vest to hold shells. Any recommendations on where to get a cartridge bag that is “reasonable” (less than $100 or so)? There are several on Jeff’s Outfitters that seem like they would fit the bill - anyone have any experience with any of them or any other recommendations?
Thanks
Z
Posted By: Marc Ret Re: Cartridge Bag - 08/28/10 11:03 PM
zwego

I was considering one of these myself http://store.mcalisterclothing.org/merch...Code=FIELD-GEAR

Cheers
Marcus
Posted By: Katie and Jessie Re: Cartridge Bag - 08/29/10 01:22 AM
Orvis used to carry them in a wool with leather trim. I bought one at their scratch and dent sale for 35.00. Don't know what or if they sell for now. I got one from Jeff's that holds 100 shells to shoot the flurry and it is very nice.

Regards, Gordon
Posted By: DGM Re: Cartridge Bag - 08/29/10 03:12 AM
The Vintage Cup itself is a great place to shop for one. You can compare and negotiate prices on new and used.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Cartridge Bag - 08/29/10 07:41 AM
The one thing to always remember with a cartridge bag is to literally try them on for size. Make sure the opening is large enough that you can get your hand inside quick and easy without twisting and turning. I made that mistake the first one I ever bought and never was satisfied with it.

Destry
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cartridge Bag - 08/29/10 12:29 PM
I have used a McAlister bag while duck hunting for about the last 12 years. I did not buy a leather one, though I suppose one would not be looked down upon nearly as badly at a Vintager shoot if he were using one, as opposed to a Mossy Oak Breakup bag. It has been my only experience using an over the shoulder bag hunting. I like it very much for shooting in green timber, or any flooded wading situation. I can keep the cover strapped down in transit, then unbuckle it and fold the cover back and tuck it between the bag and myself while shooting. I much prefer a nice leather belt shell bag for doves or clay bird shooting.

That looks like a nice bag for the money, Marcus, and I can vouch for the quality of McAlister's other products. Looks like a good one.

Stan
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cartridge Bag - 08/29/10 12:57 PM
After looking at the McAlister leather bag again I see a feature I had not noticed before , but that I like very much. The little wedge shaped leather pieces on the strap are covers for the brass hardware on the strap. They are to protect your gun from contact with the hardware, which can really mess up a nice guns' wood and metal finishes over years of use. It would be even better if there were some similar type cover for the cover strap hardware. I once read that Sir Joseph Nickerson had all his loading bags fitted with such covers to protect his guns.

My McAlister Ditty Bag does not have them, but I may make some for it as I occasionally take my Fox HE, or another nice double duck hunting.

Stan
Posted By: eightbore Re: Cartridge Bag - 08/29/10 09:25 PM
I have four bags, but I still think I should buy the McAlister bag. It has to be the best $85 bag I have ever seen. My favorite bag is my Hulme 100 shell bag. My other bags are a little Everts and Jordan, a Galazan bag that holds about a flat of 12 gauge, and a hand tooled Heiser. I have not seen the Galazan bag in the catalog. It is way too big to be useful to most shooters, but I couldn't resist it when I saw it for sale.
Posted By: pittypatdugan Re: Cartridge Bag - 08/30/10 01:27 AM
Destry, Please tell us what type bag you have. You get to shoot a lot so your input would help us all. I am sure you replaced the one you did not like

Thanks in advance

PDD
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Cartridge Bag - 08/30/10 01:36 AM
I've had several my favorite is an older Galco.

I don't care for the buckled flap on the McAlister....the buckle is on the wrong end....Talk about scratching yer gun.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Cartridge Bag - 08/30/10 12:49 PM
Mine is a no name, just one I spotted at a double gun event and picked up because I liked it.

The Hulme bags are good looking and have a nice big opening but I don't like it that the flaps don't fold back.

Destry
Posted By: pittypatdugan Re: Cartridge Bag - 09/03/10 02:58 AM
I took the advice about the $85.00 McAlister bag and bought one. It is a SUPER GREAT DEAL, all leather and it looks great. Ordered on SUNDAY received today.( thursday) Flap folds back with brass hinge

PDD
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cartridge Bag - 09/03/10 03:14 AM
I ordered three shirts from them Sunday, but haven't seen anything of them yet, ppd. You musta pulled rank on me, or sumpin'. confused

Stan
Posted By: eightbore Re: Cartridge Bag - 09/03/10 12:50 PM
My Hulme bag's lid folds back just fine, but does not have a brass hinge. The leather is supple enough to allow it to fold back.
Posted By: Marc Ret Re: Cartridge Bag - 09/03/10 02:21 PM
PPD

I received mine yesterday as well. Sorry Stan, guess I pulled rank also as I ordered on Sunday, too blush. I think for the money, it's a nice bag. My only complaint would be that the stitching seems a little light where the back panel and the sides come together. I think with hard use, it may start to separate in that area. Nice large opening. I had no problem pulling a handful of 12ga shells through the opening with my large hands. IMHO- it's a good buy at the closeout price of $85.

Cheers
Marc
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Cartridge Bag - 09/03/10 11:17 PM
I have to admit it.....my wife took my first cartridge back that I bought about 10-15 years ago before I even got to shoot with it! I then got one from Lewis Drake that I have used ever since. It's great as far as I'm concerned but I don't have much to compare it with.
Posted By: zwego Re: Cartridge Bag - 09/13/10 09:47 PM
Thanks to the input here, I also ordered the cartridge bag from McAlister’s and as is noted above, it is a Super Great Deal. Very good quality and workmanship. Exactly what I was looking for.
Interestingly, in an earlier post Galco leather was also mentioned as having a nice cartridge bag, which they do. I looked at the info that they have on line for their bag ($345) and the advertising copy is exactly like that in the McAlister’s ad. The pictures are also of the same bag, as far as I can tell or at least the Galco pictures look like the bag McAlister sent to me.
So, you can order from Galco for $345 or order on closeout from McAlister for $85. Great deal if you are looking for one of these.
Thanks
Z
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Cartridge Bag - 09/13/10 10:13 PM
I never buy cheap leather goods as I have something of an obsession with good quality kit of this type. I prefer to buy one and keep it forever. I do not know the bags by McAlister but if asked to recommend cartridge bags, I always go with Brady.

Unfortunately they no longer make the pigskin bags - but I have a couple that still look as good now as they did ten years ago. I never saw cheap bags or belts that gave long term satisfaction. Maybe I'm too picky.
Posted By: Snipe Hunter Re: Cartridge Bag - 09/14/10 02:56 PM
It is too warm to wear a vest of any kind here so out of necessity I have carried cartridge bags for years. I have them ranging in capacities from 100+ 12 gauge shells down to one that holds less than 50 four-ten shells. Some are canvas, some soft leather, and some stiff leather. I don't really care what the bag is made from as long as it is comfortable. One thing I prefer over anything else is a canvas strap. I believe they are more comfortable than a leather strap, even a padded one. One of my least favorite bags to carry is a Lewis Drake bag made from buffalo hide. Not only does the dye from the strap stain shirts but it is not flexible at all. On the rare occasion that I carry that bag I replace the strap with one made of canvas.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Cartridge Bag - 09/14/10 05:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Snipe Hunter
One of my least favorite bags to carry is a Lewis Drake bag made from buffalo hide. Not only does the dye from the strap stain shirts but it is not flexible at all.

Plains Indians had the squaws chew on the Buffler hides to soften'em up for robes and such uses. Maybe your wife or significant other could take care of that Lewis Drake bag for you; chewing ought to get rid of the staining problem too! Might not want to kiss'em for a while afterwards though...Geo
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Cartridge Bag - 09/15/10 02:42 AM
A Galco I had stained shirts....they make a leather sealer that will stop it.
Posted By: Dingelfutz Re: Cartridge Bag - 09/16/10 12:13 PM
Churchill recommended cartridge bags made out of pigskin. Are such still being made?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com