doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: nialmac Question for H&H experts - 09/25/10 11:52 PM
Was looking at a H&H gun at the Vintagers. Labeled as a ''Royal" but had the sidelocks of a Dominion. Had a lot more engraving than the usual Dominion but still, can this be right? Lovely gun regardless.
nial
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Question for H&H experts - 09/26/10 01:35 AM
See pages 84 to 92 in "Holland & Holland - The Royal Gunmaker" by Donald Dallas. The original Royals had the "dipped edge lockplate."
The more modern appearing lockplate appeared c.1890.
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: Question for H&H experts - 09/26/10 03:26 AM
The "early Royals" are Bar action guns and not a back action design.

If the gun in question happens to be the one that Steve Barnett has for sale, it is an unusual gun indeed, Dallas states that some of the early No. 2 hammerless guns utilised the same patent as the early dipped edge royals, the same cocking method but different actions, a bar action vs a back action. the gun that Mr. Barnett owns is a back action gun with a royal grade finish and engraving and engraved as such, if dis assembled it should have the cocking levers associated with patent No. 23 and be cocked by the fall of the barrels if Mr Dallas is correct.

I have had a few email discussions with Mr Dallas about this subject because I own a very early No. 2 Hammerless that is built on the perkes patent 1968 and not on patent No. 23. I have to say I did not really beleive his statement until that gun showed up for sale at Barnett's. a rare gun indeed but be careful of an upgrade that may have been done long after it left Holland's. so you will need to get the serial number and inquire at H&H in new york, ask for David Cruz

See this link http://www.gunsinternational.com/HOLLAND-HOLLAND-ROYAL-EJECTOR-16-GAUGE.cfm?gun_id=100142226

Mr. Barnett's example is in the 29000 serial range which would put it in the year 1915 - 22

H&H
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Question for H&H experts - 09/26/10 05:11 AM
Looks like a restock.....
Posted By: JimfromTrafalgar Re: Question for H&H experts - 09/26/10 01:49 PM
Terry,
"Looks like a restock" based on....?
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: Question for H&H experts - 09/26/10 03:46 PM
Barnett's gun looks funky to me. I thinks it a #3 that has been fixed up to fool someone. Twenty years ago, it would have been easy to do -- and common.

If you get the # and send it to H&H, please share what you find. I would love to know.

OWD
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Question for H&H experts - 09/26/10 08:36 PM
Based on wood looking fresher/lighter than forend.Quality of wood does not look vintage. 15" LOP, particularly on a smallbore,very unusual. Buttplate does not look original. Straight cut to the butt/buttplate,not curved. Can't see clearly but comparison of checkering of stock to forend would possibly confirm JMHO.....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com