doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: jerry66stl Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 09/30/10 02:21 AM
I was wondering when beavertail forends began to appear on American SxS's.

Like most of you, I prefer the splinter forend, but a beavertail is sometimes handier on a target gun. It eliminates the need for a glove, and may be a gripping benefit in some instances. And there are numerous sizes of beavertails...

I'm not advocating B.T's, just wondered from a historical standpoint when the factories started offering them as an option.

JERRY
Posted By: Researcher Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 09/30/10 05:28 AM
They seemed to become an item of interest for trap guns in the years after WW-I. I know A.H. Fox Gun Co. made double guns with "beavertail" forearms in the 1920s, but they didn't appear as catalogue offerings, or on price lists until 1931. They are not offered in the 1919 Ithaca catalogue, but they are offered on Grade 4 and above in the 1925 Ithaca catalogue.
Posted By: colin.kendall Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 10/01/10 02:07 PM
I understand Parker was the one of the first, if the not the first to introduce them for their skeet and trap guns. I guess all of the others followed suit. From what I have seen, the one that Winchester designed for the Model 21 was about the best looking one out there. A lot of the other ones that were made or are currently being made look bulky. When Reinhard Fajen was in business, the beavertail blank they sold was modeled after the style that was used for the 21. Personally, I prefer beavertails to splinters. I like to have something to wrap my hands around. Barrels do get hot.
Posted By: oldr31 Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 10/01/10 03:11 PM
I have favored splinters all my life, but........now I've got a BT and find I really like it. And it doesn't look bad at all. Older Miroku 351A.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 10/01/10 03:18 PM
My 1927 trap configuration Ithaca NID 4E has one.
Posted By: Patriot USA Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 10/01/10 04:33 PM
1926 Elsie Eagle

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 10/01/10 04:35 PM
The 1922 Folsom catalog advertizes , on Baker guns, the Perfect Grip, which is a beavertail forend for a sxs. That's the earliest beavertail forend I am aware of. I have an example of this forend and the forend iron is modified to accomodate the extra forend recoil forces on a beavertail.
Posted By: Model2128Ga Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 10/01/10 05:12 PM
The Winchester Model 21 (1931-1991 or so) built most of their reputation with the beavertail and single trigger. Opposite of most any other gun company.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 10/01/10 06:23 PM
Model 21 28 ga, I think that Ithaca Gun Co. furnished mostly Beavertails on their grades 4 and up during the 1930s and until production of doubles ceased. Similarly, Iver Johnson did the same.
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 10/01/10 06:56 PM
Practicality, fine. Aesthetically, should have left them on the beaver...... smile
Posted By: Researcher Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 10/02/10 03:41 AM
The early Ithaca beavertails were short and bulky, but about 1935 they started making much nicer looking beavertails.

A 1930 20-gauge and a 1936 12-gauge, both No. 4E --

Ithaca also used a nice looking beavertail on their Lefever A-Grade --

During the Savage years, Fox had a Trap beavertail --

and a Skeet/Field style beavertail --

Posted By: EDM Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 10/02/10 04:17 PM
Originally Posted By: colin.kendall
I understand Parker was the one of the first, if the not the first to introduce them for their skeet and trap guns.

The "bulky fore-end" of the Parker SBT was standard from the intro in about 1915 (all the ads show the non-splinter fore-end and a straight grip and no safety). This was a dedicated trap gun.

Quoting myself from Parker Guns: The "Old Reliable" @ p.71: "The beaver-tail or trap-style fore-end became an extra-cost option in 1923, probably due to the demands of Parker's modern trapshooting clientele." My research was to Parker advertising, catalogs, flyers, etc. The Parker Story published the actual production records, and may move this date slightly back, but I'll stick with 1923 until I hear otherwise. It is doubtful that Parker was first, and the first Parker beaver-tails were defective in-so-far as they were too much wood to grip with too little metal structure. This was quickly corrected with the large screw seen at the front of the BTFE, which braces the wood internally to the barrel clasp. There may have been a recall, as I have never seen a factory original BTFE without the metal bracing screw. EDM
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Beavertail Forends on SxS's - 10/02/10 04:29 PM
After introduction of the Smith Double Barrel Trap gun in 1920, the 'Trap Package' included a beavertail Schnabel forend with the reinforced barrel lug, Automatic Ejectors, Hunter One-Trigger, standard recoil pad, and two ivory sights.
Images of the Smith BTFEs here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/15656750

And the Smith "Steamline" Skeet BTFE, introduced in 1929, here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/18779715
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com