doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Krakow Kid Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/17/10 05:57 AM
Gentlemen - What in your opinion is the best, most comprehensive book on Purdey arms (not so interested in the family, although I realize there would be the need of such history in the kind of book I'm seeking)?
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/17/10 06:12 AM
Donald Dallas's book is probably the best and most comprehensive, though Patrick Unswprth's 'The Early Purdeys' is useful if your interest lies there.
Posted By: JM Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/17/10 01:13 PM
Agreed with Donald Dallas' book. I thought enough of it to get the signed edition.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/17/10 02:46 PM
I agree with Smallbore's choice as the Dallas book is by far the best. I was talking with him recently and he is working on a new and larger edition to be brought out in 2014 which is Purdey's anniversary year. Another one to look for is Purdey's The Guns and the Family by Richard Beaumont which dates back to 1984. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/17/10 07:55 PM
Many Thanks to the 3 wise men!
Posted By: George L. Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/18/10 03:41 AM
I have Richard Beaumont's book (signed by him) and it is excellant. I have not read Donald Dallas' as of yet.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/18/10 04:18 AM
KK, if you don't have Dig's book, I'd get it before getting the Purdey book.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/18/10 05:06 AM
Rocketman - I hadn't realized Dig wrote a book devoted exclusively to Purdey(s). Would you happen to know the name of it an/or where one can purchasre it?
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/18/10 09:42 AM
He hasn't. Rocket is referring to Digs book called "Vintage Guns for the Modern Shot". Great read and a definate shopping list item if you don't have it. smile

T
Posted By: Salopian Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/18/10 06:58 PM
I have to agree with all recommendations by the Brits.
I have all of the recommended books and find something of interest in all of them.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/18/10 07:43 PM
KK - Per B999, yes, that is what I meant.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/19/10 04:24 AM
And so where can one purchase Dig's book? Safari Press? Perhaps Gunnerman's?
Posted By: George L. Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/19/10 05:19 PM
Why not just buy it from Dig himself & ask him to autograph it for you. He posts on here as "smallbore" His web site is www.vintageguns.co.uk

Best Regards, George
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/19/10 10:48 PM
With everything Dig is busy with currently I'd feel a bit foolish asking him to take time out, autograph a book, send it overseas after he received payment,then trot off to the bank to get the currency exchanged. Actually, I'd feel foolish AND presumptuous.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/20/10 02:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
With everything Dig is busy with currently I'd feel a bit foolish asking him to take time out, autograph a book, send it overseas after he received payment,then trot off to the bank to get the currency exchanged. Actually, I'd feel foolish AND presumptuous.

You can feel that way if you wish, however, I'd bet he'd do it --- and right gladly (he is that kind of guy).

There is some reference to Purdey and some photos. What is more important, there is a wealth of knowledge over a broad spectrum of vintage guns and shooting; the sort of things anyone interested in Brit guns needs to know. Purdeys are an interesting subject, but I think they are best studied from a good base of knowledge.
Posted By: George L. Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/20/10 02:24 AM
Rocketman is right. Dig is a good ol' boy and would be happy to sell you a book and autograph it for you. I've never met an author yet who was too busy to sell one his books and sign it. Just e-mail & ask him. Doing it that way you will get the British Edition and not the American one, which to me is preferable.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/20/10 03:50 AM
The last time I took an overseas check for a book it was a pain in the ass, I lost my ass, and I thought the fellow a presumptuous ass for thinking he could just send it and I'd respond!!
Email for contact, PayPal for overseas payments, with plenty for postage...
I'm sure he will think you a thoughtfull fellow!!
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/20/10 07:09 PM
I'll send you a book, glad to sign it and you can give me a fistful of dollars (cents?) when I next find an excuse to get to the USA.

Just e-mail me with your address I'll get it posted tomorrow.
Posted By: Salopian Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/20/10 07:48 PM
What a wonderful gesture by Diggory.
Not many of your sort left around today Dig.

I know you will respond in a gentlemanly manner, but would you be so kind as to send me a signed Stephen Grant sidelever hammer gun???????? Pleeeeeeeeease. I will pay with my redundancy money that I get from the MoD.
Incidentally while we are on the subject, would any of you Yanks like to park your Aeroplanes on our Airforce less Aircraft carriers?
I'll bet Al Queda vote Conservative from now on.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/20/10 09:18 PM
Yeh Dig, how about sending me one?? :>)
What a guy!
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Best Book on Purdey(s)? - 10/20/10 09:28 PM
Good Lord, this is turning out worse than I imagined!\
\
And I'LL be the one history will record as being responsible!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com