doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Randall Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/04/07 04:11 PM
A friend asked me about a 16 ga. he'd inherited, serial # 240773, a 'VH' above and a 'V' below the serial # on the water table, SFE, SST, 28" bbls, excellent shape, lots of CC.

What little I know about SxS guns is limited to those made in Belgium - any help from those of you with Parker knowledge would be most appreciated.
Posted By: David Hamilton Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/04/07 04:27 PM
Pictures would help! david
Posted By: Replacement Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/04/07 04:46 PM
The serialization book says it's a 16 w/ 28" barrels, capped pistol grip, 1937 Remington production, with ejectors and single trigger. Probably has nicer wood than pre-Remington Parkers.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/04/07 05:00 PM
Late Remington VHE Grade Parker, probably made or finished in Ilion, New York. PGCA letter could possibly (not likely) tell who the original purchaser was. The IBM cards, the only provenance normally available in this later serial number range, sometimes gives customer information, more often does not. Check on the link on the PGCA website under "research letters" to see if they have information on the gun. Quite a coveted variation, 16 gauge Remington gun with single trigger.
Posted By: Randall Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/04/07 05:33 PM
Thanks - I'll try to get some pics up tonight or tomorrow.

The info from the book Replacement references matches.

I checked on PGCA site - when I clicked on 'here' under the 'Does the PGCA have records for your gun?', it goes straight to 'serial # not found' before asking me to enter one. Turned off pop up blocker - same results.
Posted By: Derrick Stewart Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/04/07 05:53 PM
Randall,

Per the PGCA website there are surviving factory records for s/n #240773.

Derrick
Posted By: eightbore Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/04/07 07:00 PM
Yup, I just tried the serial number search function and it was working. Don't use any commas and if it doesn't seem to be working correctly try later. Maybe it doesn't work if someone else is trying to access it at the same time.
Posted By: Derrick Stewart Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/04/07 07:40 PM
eightbore,

I don't recall what the cost is for a copy of the factory records? It's sad when a PGCA member can't remember the cost. Too many iron's in the fire.
Posted By: Randall Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/04/07 08:12 PM
$40 for members $60 for non

Thanks for checking this serial # Derrick - I still can't make it work.
Posted By: Hussey Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/04/07 08:41 PM
If the PGCA can not produce a letter then they will return your check. I have letters for each of my Parkers and they provide a range of information. Generally, they are worth the cost.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/05/07 01:48 AM
If you are in north east TX you can visit H.Chitic in Terrel and get a good story. I would not recomend selling or buying there but he is very knowledgeable on Parkers. Their was also a dealer in Tyler who realy good with Parkers.
bill
Posted By: Katie and Jessie Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/05/07 02:53 AM
I believe Hershell Chaddick has left that wonderful old building his business was in. It is empty anyway. I think he is still working out of his house.
Regards, Gordon
Posted By: Randall Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/05/07 04:20 AM
Check is on it's way to PGCA.
Tonights flash pics were no good - we'll try again during daylight.
Frame size is 1. Only thing that appears to be not original is a Pachmayr pad.
Thanks to everyone.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/05/07 06:02 AM
Quote:
I believe Hershell Chaddick has left that wonderful old building his business was in. It is empty anyway. I think he is still working out of his house.

Chadick's is still in business somewhere, per their website and recent phone conversations. They better be, because I just sent them a big check yesterday for a new purchase. And, unlike a lot of his listings, this one was a very good deal. I should see it in person next week.
Posted By: Randall Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/06/07 08:07 PM
[img]http://www2.snapfish.com/getimageforshare/p=38561168107156608/l=236563838/s=25654336/t=PIC/g[/img]

[img]http://www2.snapfish.com/getimageforshar...c=SYE/otsi=SPIC[/img]

Finally - a few pics. Any thoughts or comments on condition, value, etc would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/06/07 08:47 PM
1) Thumbs down on the recoil pad
2) Definitely looks re-colored in a non-Parker fashion. Hopefully not a torch job...
3) Wood looks a little like replacement wood but I'll let the late Remington Parker guys comment to that.

$2K, maybe more if you get the right person.
Posted By: Hussey Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/06/07 10:14 PM
Does not look like those are original Parker colors, same for wood finish - redone, pad is without a question not even close to anything Parker would slap on a gun. Kind of wonder if it is a torch job because of the pattern on the floor plate. As a shooter it is probably an OK gun but there is nothing original about the finish and the price should reflect that. $2K would be top price but someone may want it for that.
Posted By: Randall Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/09/07 02:55 AM
Further questioning of people familiar w/ this gun confirmed that it had indeed had both the metal and the wood 'refinished' about 20 years ago.

Excellent internet diagnosis 'doctors' - thanks.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/09/07 01:56 PM
Is that serial number extremely high for a Parker with rib logo? I am not very familiar with Remington era guns so I may be totally off base. Randall, what does it say on the rib inscription?
Posted By: Randall Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/10/07 12:43 AM
PARKER BROS MAKERS MERIDEN CT USA VULCAN STEEL
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Parker ID/Age/$ - 01/10/07 01:31 AM
Niuce looking refinished VH
bill
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com