doublegunshop.com - home
Has anyone had experience with a Model '21 doubling? (that hurts the shoulder !). In our wobble trap game we are allowed to load 2 shells. While shooting last Saturday, I had the unpleasant experience of the gun doubling (twice in 100 targets). Refering to the NRA Disassembly Instructions, and with properly fitting screwdrivers, I feel that I can remove the trigger plate for cleaning and lubrication, however, I then don't know what else to look for. Any advise on this?
Thanks in advance -- Bob
Single trigger? One of those doubled at the UP Shoot a few years back, and the stock ended up in quite a few pieces. I'd suggest a good gunsmith.
Did the gun make a "boom-boom" or just a "BOOM" when it doubled? If it is the first, it is probably the intercepter causing problems (assuming a single trigger) and if it the latter, it is probably a worn sear causing the second barrel to go off with the first shot impact. My guess is that it is the first type which can be intermittent, dictated in part by how you shoulder the gun.
I agree that this is work for an experienced gunsmith and not a "home job".
Good luck
Z
Thanks for the responses - I was shooting 1oz. at around 1200 fps and 9K pressure. The gun is a single trigger.
It was definately a BOOM (not a boom-boom).

L.Brown - What is the UP shoot?

Does anyone have a recommendation as to who I should send the gun to, and has anyone else experienced a similiar problem?

Thanks again - Bob
I saw a couple of 21's doubling at a Vintagers shoot last year. Single trigger guns........I think they are meant to be single shots,as they only have one trigger.Dunno where you would send it...Moody would know...
Robert - Suggest you call Brad Batchelder in Grand Rapids, MI. I understand he apprenticed in the Winchester Custom Shop.

http://www.bacheldermastergunmakers.com/Bachelder_Master_Gunmakers/Services.html
Re the UP shoot...
http://www.stsportsmen.com/home.htm
I have had this happen on a couple of 21s. In my case it was the clearance in stock. I had a gunsmith check and releive the problem and they worked perfectly. 21s last forever but must be set up correctly. If the stock has been replaced or recently taken off it is likely your problem.
Had same thing w/ a 12 gauge skeet grade about 15 years ago. Second trip to a good 'smith (different one from the first), it stopped doubling. Still couldn't get the subconscious to buy it, so I sold it. Mine was similar to your's - did it once every other round or so - such that I was always wondering whether it would happen on this shot.
Check the screw under the top lever. It should be indexed north and south. If it gets off just a little it can cause doubling. If you shoot reloads, trash can also get worked back in there and cause doubling. I've had lots of experence with 21's doubling (all 21's). I would bite the bullet and send it to
Galazan to ensure a proper fix. Good luck!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com