doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: UpInMichigan A question about barrel pitting - 02/18/11 12:24 PM
Assuming a gun is being bought as a shooter as opposed to a looker, are there any performance issues to be concerned about if a gun has moderate barrel pitting? Yes, I know -- the answer probably depends upon what "moderate" means. But use your own experience and judgement in interpreting moderate. My belief is that, except for the mental component, pitting isn't really an issue. But my belief isn't informed by lots of knowledge.
Posted By: many scalps Re: A question about barrel pitting - 02/18/11 12:50 PM
Have a smith look at the barrels first. But unless pits are deep it should not be a problem.Verry respectfully.Snakeeater.
Posted By: Montana Re: A question about barrel pitting - 02/18/11 02:57 PM
Could also depend upon where in the barrel the pitting is most.
Posted By: Lorne Re: A question about barrel pitting - 02/18/11 03:06 PM
Pitted bores are certainly harder to clean, which isn't really a performance issue.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: A question about barrel pitting - 02/18/11 03:11 PM
I have used a drill, 3/8 dowel and fine (gray) scotch brite to clean up some light pitting, don't dwell in a spot, polish the entire bore.
bill
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: A question about barrel pitting - 02/19/11 04:26 AM
Agree with above posts. I'm real skittish of heavy pitting in the "high pressure" area--chambers and first few inches of barrel. But further up......well, just consider that folks today pay gunsmiths to drill holes in their barrels up there....guess there's no sense in worrying.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: A question about barrel pitting - 02/19/11 01:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
.....well, just consider that folks today pay gunsmiths to drill holes in their barrels up there....guess there's no sense in worrying.

laugh I've been paid to drill some of those holes...
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: A question about barrel pitting - 02/20/11 12:39 PM
I've had a few vintage guns that had a few pits....looked at some that had lots of pits.

I recall one sweet little English hammer gun...just got it in the mail. smile I took the barrels out side and looked to the sky....I saw something then it disappeared I turned and twisted the barrels there it was again....then it disappeared again frown I laid the barrels down on the bench and this little cock roach ran out on the table.

Even was told by this English sounding gEnt (that said he was an English gunsmith) that he actually could measure the depth of the pits in the gun he was selling and get back to me....I said "no thanks".

No matter how tempting I try and stay away from guns that have any pits in the barrels....most likely they won't blow up but like was said they are the devil to clean (if not truly impossible to clean) and a gun with pitted barrels might be the devil to sell should you find you can't shoot it well.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com