doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Franchi Removing colour from parts? - 03/01/11 01:57 PM
Hi;

Not to highjack the previous thread about removing CC from metal, I have some questions.

Can one remove CC from an action chemically? I saw that by using toilet bowl cleaners will do it. I tried Tidy Bowl to strip the bluing and what was remaining on a shotgun and nothing happened. This tip came from a very famous gunsmith!

I have no idea as to how well CC bonds to the steel but I have been told that it is very thin and may be abraded very easily. Do the chemical strippers actually etch into the steel to remove the CC? How do chemicals remove CC?

What is good to use to strip blued steel? I have used all kinds of "strippers" and "rust removers" and to date I have been underwhelmed with the results. Any suggestions determined by which methods worked well for you. Any magic potions?

Of course one can strip a finish via an abrasive but getting into crevices and corners prove to be challenging.

TIA,

Franchi
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Removing colour from parts? - 03/01/11 02:14 PM
I have heard silver polish will do it.
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Removing colour from parts? - 03/01/11 02:15 PM
Franchi:
As the "other thread" flogs on about, strip the gun down, degrease the bloody parts, and immerse them in Evapo-Rust overnight. You will have no CC and no bluing left the next day. Just a soft sheen of bare metal. This stuff does not eat metal. It converts the CC or blue into other substances. If it doesn't work, you're welcome to call on the Tidy Bowl Man.

Best, Kensal
Posted By: James M Re: Removing colour from parts? - 03/01/11 04:05 PM
Blueing is very easy to strip from an expensive gun. Just ignore it for a bit and it will probably strip it's blueing and any other finish off all by itself.

However an inexpensive gun is a different story altogether. Immersing it in salt water or leaving it out exposed to the elements for months may strip the blueing off but this is not a sure bet. wink
Jim
Posted By: mc Re: Removing colour from parts? - 03/01/11 04:41 PM
i think the toilet cleaner that has phosphoric acid is what you need.mc
Posted By: OB Re: Removing colour from parts? - 03/01/11 05:54 PM
Plain white vinegar will do it overnight. 50-50 Muriatic acid -water solution will do it in 30 sec. Brownells rust and blue stripper will do it in about an hour.

OB
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Removing colour from parts? - 03/01/11 07:22 PM
Birchwood Casey blue remover.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Removing colour from parts? - 03/01/11 11:28 PM
I've answered this same question in this forum about 6 months ago. HOPPES #9 COPPER SOLVENT, not the regular solvent. I inadvertently removed some beautiful case colors from a Colt SAA about 20 years ago. I'd been shooting jacketed .45's, so I cleaned it out well and then put it aside to soak in overnight. Well, with everything that was going on back then overnight turned into 2 1/2 days. Solvent spread onto the frame and what were beautiful bright colors (new gun) were faded completely, down to bare silver metal in spots.

I'll bet if I soaked the thing in a tub of it ALL the colors would've been gone in a short time.

If you really want to get rif of the case colors I'd buy a bottle of Hoppe's #9 COPPER solvent, not the regular stuff.
Posted By: Genelang Re: Removing colour from parts? - 03/02/11 02:28 AM
Rust remover, or Naval Jelly will do the job.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com