doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Brian Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 03:40 AM
twice in the apst two weeks I sold guns on Gunbroker. Customers bid, won sent funds. got the guns, love them and then complained about the shipping. Feel they are paying a shipping premium. of course they seem to always be able to ship for less; at least thats what they always say. I use new, custom made boxes with sleeves, these cost money (but not for them it seems) and they want refunds on shipping.
My terms are spelled out. I list with flat rate shipping. I dont have the time to go back and forth, checking zip codes, packing and weighing before i get funds and all the attendant things preparing a sale. I use USPS, not UPS.
Bottom line is that the terms are spelled out in plain english. Why dont people read the terms prior to bidding?
I charge 35.00 - 39.00 Flat rate by USPS . This includes new box with sleeve, bubble wrap, packing materials etc. For double guns, the boxes have seperate packing for barrels , etc. all sized apprpriately for break down guns and long guns.

I even had a guy tell me I didnt use new boxes because 1. they were made several years ago ( i buy in quantity and it takes osme time to use them up, not including the 18 months i was ogne and clsoed due to deployment) and becuase they werent marked by the mabufacturer as "GUN or FIRARM on the end of the box. had a non gun part number???

I know there are horror stories for both sides on this. i can tell you about all of the guys who hosed me out of 4-5 bucks by sending short amount, intentionally. How do you make a money order out for 700.00 when it says 705.00 on the invoice. "Oh gee, I didnt realize" they say. Or they take 4 weeks to pay. Or they back out of the sale and dont have the courtesy to email you.
Do you know how many guys have won guns and after the auction had their truck stolen, wrecked or hit a deer and cant pay this past year??? Why bid. And on top of that they then buy other guns at the same time. The beauty of watching their feedback.
I had that happen, I bought a high dollar Fox form a poster here (who shall remain namelss) The stock was messed up in shipment. hi told him I didnt want it and he refused to take back. siad he didnt have th emoney. after weeks of BS , I had to take a settlement from him , because I figured I wouldnt get anything any other way; and then in the interim he bought three doubles from other Gunbroker sellers for well over what I paid for the one gun. Didnt have the cash to pay me but did to buy other guns??!!
or I hear " I'll send it right out and they never do but I sent the gun anyway.
Hell, I have even offered to take the gun back but I wont be held hostage on my feedback for 5-10 dollars.
The act of placing a bid is agreeing to the listed terms.
Am I out of whack on this here or what?
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 03:56 AM
Nope Brian, you're right on target.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 04:36 AM
Quote:
becuase they werent marked by the mabufacturer as "GUN or FIRARM on the end of the box. had a non gun part number???

I never indicate what's in the box. That's just an invitation to theft, damage, or other disappearance.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 04:59 AM
That is a reasonable shipping fee for what you are providing and not just because I live most of the time in Honolulu. I'd post that no-good SOB Fox seller's name, address and the details but you're a better man and a gentleman for not doing it. Keep doing what you do and illegitimi non carborundum or the equivalent.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 05:29 AM
I have been ripped off on shipping too! Every time I try to send a buyer their gun for $25.! The people that get me are the guys who want to save the $25. by having me drive 30 miles so they can look.
Posted By: ohiosam Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 12:12 PM
I always take into account the shipping in my bid. I sometimes won't bid if I feel shipping isn't reasonable. Around Christmas I bought a gun with very high shipping but it was OK because of accessories included. What wasn't OK was the seller taking 2 weeks to ship(he had my certified funds in 5 days)
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 03:02 PM
Your shipping sounds reasonable to me based on the few guns I've had shipped. I agree: if you don't like the terms don't bid, or negotiate before you bid, not after!
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 03:09 PM
Paying extra for certified funds is a bunch of xxxx! In this day your personel check clears in a day. I just had the stall on that one, guy knew everything and stalled 5 days but it turned out his bank cleared the check in 24 hours. He was imbarassed and I was less than happy about tracking and smartening him up.
bill
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 03:59 PM
Brian:

I charge $35 for most guns. Rifles are more as they go oversized, at least that what UPS bills.

As far as bidders/buyers not fulfilling the sending of funds. This has happened to me too. I always report that to all the websites. Even the ones that they do not contact me on.

Also I have a list that I keep. So I have there name, what they purchased and when and that they did not fulfill there obligations to pay.

I caught one guy trying to buy a gun form me and he stiffed me before. I refused to sell him the gun. He was very taken back. I was able to tell him what gun he stiffed me on before, and when and even gave him his address.

I tell folks for quicker service send a money order or cashiers check, if they are in a hurry, if not allow extra time for a checks.

On checks, they do not always clear in 1 day or so. I got a check that bounced from a guy in texas. It took 10 days for me to be notified that the check was bad. Yes, the checks clear electronically, if they are bad they are hand processed via a person and send back via the post office.

John
Quality Arms
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 04:20 PM
Lots of things happen when the economy goes south, buyers use it as an excuse whether it is or not.

Just this week I received my first negative feedback in 15 years because after an auction ended a guy wanted to renegotiate shipping terms, he complained about a $4.95 shipping charge which was clearly stated in the auction. I refused and got my first bad feedback ever. It gives little people satisfaction to think they are in control of a situation...
Posted By: George L. Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 04:45 PM
Anymore, when it becomes apparent to me that I have a sale I'll box the gun up and take it to Fed Ex or USPS and get them to quote me the rate to ship. I'll then e-mail the buyer with the exact amount to send along with the purchase price. Before I would just guess at the cost and it would, usually,end up costing me more.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: pod Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/09/11 05:08 PM
ive never complained about the shipping costs. unfortunately it costs another $30 for the transfer. i end up paying $65 just to get the gun.and if some people get their way we will be paying a 7-8% sales tax then it will get to a point where it will be just to expensive to buy by mail. just my thoughts
Posted By: Prof. P. Terry Plegia Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/16/11 05:20 PM
Brian - I couldn't agree with you more. I've been disposing of my collection over the past year - ship only USPS Priority Mail (most secure and trackable) and the average is $27.00. That leaves me $3.00 to cover the new box, bubble wrap, tape, etc. and that really doesn't cut it. When I raise it to $35, guys holler like they're getting their throats cut... I judge places by how well they wrap - the pros and top shops are great, but I've received some guns loose in the box with only a sock over the muzzle - no wonder they can ship so cheap!
Posted By: jmc Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/16/11 07:31 PM
Brian et al,

How are you covering insurance on the guns you ship USPS? Not mentioned by those who have stated that they ship USPS and charge minor handling/material fees. Are you covering the insurance fees or just not insuring?

-jmc
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 01:32 AM
Having bought a gun from you in the past I can tell others here that you are one of the best packers and shippers of guns that I have dealt with on the web. Only a jerk can claim that he can ship it cheaper and better. People too stupid to read and understand clearly written terms are hopeless to deal with. Your shipping rates are fair in my experience. Some people want to screw every seller out of a few dollars like it is a game to them.

Stupid buyers can drive sellers nuts but it works both ways. I had one seller sell me a 10 bore when he clearly listed it as a 12 and claimed to have shot it himself. Or one who questioned why I would expect him to replace the two missing firing pins on a gun he sold to me. He also claimed in the listing to have test fired the gun, must have been a miracle detonation. Or the one who put a gun in a box with about ten sheets of newspaper for wrapping. When it got here it was less than pristine.

Stick to your "guns" and do not lower your standards of how you ship or what you need to charge.
Posted By: Brian Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 02:31 AM
Prof.
I list as 39.00 plus sIns based on selling price.
On a few guns, I may say 35.00 plus ins.

But No matter what I get beat up. I just sold a guy a 94 Win, pre 64. terms stated 35.00 plus ins. He won it, emailed that he was sendign payment and then added that he ships those little rifles for 20.00 all the time. When I explained what my boxes cost (new box and sleeve) and packing material, bubbld wrap etc) and that I list with flat rate, he states that I am running a shipping scheme.
I mention that he argeed to my terms when he placed the bid but he still wants to argue. well his rifle shipped and cost 32.70 . I charged him 39.70 (35.00 plus ins) my box and materials 7-8 bucks.) so there is my "scheme". Beleive me, i will be contacting him to inform him that i coukldnt find the 20.00 shipper. It just chaps my a$$. As much as the guys who short me 3-4 bucks when they have the MO made out for payment. they get the total with the payment info. I cant figure that out excpet that they are cheap.
I wish peopel would grasp the concept of when they bid, they agree to the terms. If they dont like them, dont bid or email to see what options there may be.
Just like the guys who want it shipped by UPS. I cl;early state no UPS. aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
Posted By: gjw Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 09:54 AM
Hi all, very good post and great stories. I've had the same happen to me with selling a gun. Shiiping is not cheap, yet there are those out there who want something for nothing. My story is a guy bought a very nice SxS for a good price. I sent the gun to him, after I got the FFL. He said he would send the check after he accepted the gun. Ok, I tend to trust people, besides, I had his FFL (he was the holder). He got the gun and right away, wanted me to drop the price or pay for the stock to be bent (it shot low for him). I said, send the gun back and he pays the shipping back. He decided to keep it. We agreed on my set price and I said to add the amount we agreed on for shipping. He agreed. I got the check minus the shipping. E-mailed and told him that, thinking he'd say, he forgot and would send another check to cover the shipping. His response was "I thought the price included the shipping". Needless to say, I never got a check for the shipping. So, I got stiffed. I'm sure I'm not the first guy he's pulled this with. Oh well, bad on me, I learned.

All the best!

Greg
Posted By: gspspinone Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 11:00 AM
I've never paid more than $25 to ship a long gun, and that's insured for full value. I use Fedex. I just shipped a sxs from CT to Alabama, 3 day for $16 plus change, insured.

That being said buyers need to look at the shipping price you advertise before bidding, or send an email requesting to negotiate on the price/shipping prior to bidding. Once they bid they have entered into a contract and should honor your price as you've stated it in the ad.

This is one reason I stopped selling things on Ebay, once they changed their feedback system to favor buyers it became skewed and unfair. The last few items I sold didn't go well and I had buyers who basically extorted partial refunds from me in exchange for positive feedback. After 250+ positive feedback scores and no negatives my last 5 sales had 3 buyers attempt this.
Posted By: Snipe Hunter Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 11:21 AM
I don't care what the shipping cost is. If it is listed in the auction a buyer/bidder agrees to it. If you don't like it you shouldn't bid/buy. You could contact the seller before bidding or buying and ask if there is a less expensive way to ship but in my opinion wanting to haggle over $5-$10 is a little childish. If the price including shipping is more than you are willing to pay, just walk away. I have only sold a couple of guns online and they have been pleasant experiences. If anything I want to under-represent the gun because I've been on the other side of opening up a box and seeing something that isn't quite as "like new" to my eyes as it was the seller's.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 12:50 PM
If you agree to the price before you buy it,then you should pay every penny the seller asks.

Forget UPS,USPS and Fed-Ex are cheaper and will pay insurance claims better (UPS subs it out to Crawford who denies all claims)

I have had guns shipped to me in $100+ cases and then just returned them to the seller-always thought that was a good idea-you could even do a deposit deal with it.There are auction houses that will let you ship them and empty gun case to ship your gun back as well.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 01:43 PM
Shipping charges must be higher in Georgia as a high value insured gun always cost me around $50 using Resistered mail and one insured for $9600 was over $60.00! I must not be doing something right! Bobby
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 01:44 PM
I haven't had any trouble with shipping charges,complaints or returns. I have been plagued by tire kickers asking every sort of question imagineable stretching out over several weeks and multiple e-mails then just cut off all communication. I had a guy send me urgent e-mails about a gun I had for sale to which I replied each time and then zilch nothing. The process stretched out each week for four weeks. Finally he decided to pull the trigger and buy the gun. To my pleasure, I had already sold it. He got pissed....go figure. What a dumb a$$... The ones that really get me are the guys that want to discuss the gun like it was animate being...."do you think I will be happy with it an it with me?"......sheesh
Posted By: eightbore Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 02:13 PM
What are the posters' opinions on the guy who says he can ship a gun for $16.00 insured by Fed X? On another point, do we really think that a high volume dealer pays for insurance every time they go to the Post Office. No, I think they insure as part of their business insurance and do it for a very small amount of money on an annual basis.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 04:04 PM
I find it interesting no one has mentioned dealer time factor in packaging yet. I also know that each January ALL of the carriers raise rates. My last three Fed-Ex bills listed a 10% fuel surcharge for delivery( up from the previous 5%, 6.5 % and 8%).....this is NOT quoted as part of the price on the computer or in person on the phone before shippment.

Two of the largest carriers are adding surcharge ammounts for home, extended delivery areas, and pick-up (if you don't have a daily pick up agreement. As of January 2011 all have recaluclated just how dimensional weight is determined W X H X L divided by 166 instead of 194.

As for insurance.....I used to pay each time a package was shipped via the carriers "insurance" program. When the cost of the insurance exceeds the cost of the shipping....my clients raise Cain AND Abel. I got tired of arguing with them that what it cost me should cost them.

UPS and FED-EX specifically have written into their shipping contracts that they do NOT issue insurance.....only added value(have you really read all of the fine print yet). They really don't want to pay out claims. Therefore, in order to protect my clients investment, a separate insurance policy has been procured. It isn't cheap. Must I bear the cost of insurance without passing it on? Yes, the insurance is cheaper than the carriers....therefore I don't have to charge as much either to re-coup my costs.
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 05:58 PM
I am certainly sympathetic to what is said here in most transactions. I have never been a seller, only a buyer, so obviously I can be sympathetic to the buyer side.

1.How many times does a seller post such poor pictures, you can't tell any more about it other than the title of the ad.

2 After a couple emails for details, none of value really come forward and of course that includes better pictures. Because they are sorry that their sister has borrowed their good camera and all they have is their cell phone camera.

3. Finally, you want the gun so bad, you call only to leave messages that take days to return. Then, just maybe, they will give details of the gun. But, they will NEVER, EVER, put these details in print like an email, because they can't be cornered without having written documentation.

4 The pristine gun that you can't really see in the pictures and there is no written only verbal description arrives. You find that it was broke through the wrist, glue is plain to see now in person, that the poor pictures couldn't show, and the cheeks of the stock has the bolt passing through it, that they said was a pristine stock as from the factory.

5. Of course in buying the gun, you agreed to the price and happily accepted that price and shipping costs and even asked that it be properly insured to at least cover the costs of the purchase and shipping. Of course ask seller, who the insurance will be made out to. The seller says to him, since he paid for it. If he paid for it, why did I send enough funds to pay for insurance? Am I confused?

6. Gun is delivered. You see all the issues that he would not put in writing. You are not being nit picky, as you know and expect some handling marks, but the pristine gun was described as being as it was when it left the factory! Naturally, you photograph all that happened, since it left the factory. You photograph the box, even before you open it, the wrapping as you unwrap it, the issues that were told by phone only, that are very present even though seller said they weren't. You immediately send an email with pictures and back it all up with a phone call. The seller has chosen now to drop off of the face of the earth. Before he had your money, he would in his good time, at least, contact you. Now, nothing, won't do anything to respond. You can fight it, you can hire an attorney, and you may win. But at what cost do I win what I shouldn't have had to fight with? Call it education, forget it, write it off and if you decide to buy again, you ask in writing all that many sellers here think is redundant. What if I bought, with counterfeit money, after all they sent a counterfeit gun.

7. Yes, I know, never buy a gun that you can't put your hands on before transferring the money. If life was just that simple. Some rare items can't be feasibly bought that way, so you just hope that you are dealing with honest people. You will find out, when your money is gone and so is the seller. I have found many very honest sellers, but it only takes one and then another and soon you are so skeptical, you have no idea why you even deal with any gun seller long distance.
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 06:04 PM
Is there some exception at the USPS that limits gun insurance payments to $1k. I've read this, but have not verified if it is true? Does anyone KNOW?
Posted By: jmc Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: jerry66stl
Is there some exception at the USPS that limits gun insurance payments to $1k. I've read this, but have not verified if it is true? Does anyone KNOW?

I hope not as I've paid for insurance covering a $4000 gun...
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 07:50 PM
I've insured guns for up to $7K. Interesting though my PO requires that guns be packaged in brown wrapping paper and reinforced fiberglass tape for values over $2K.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 08:25 PM
I've bought and sold mostly on GunBroker. In the main, my experience as both buyer and seller has been good and my feedback there reflects that. One does need the ability to detect the difference between an annoying fart smeller and a potential buyer who needs a bit of reassurance and friendly advice regarding a type of transaction (FFL middleman) of which they have no experience and so no comfort zone. I don't like depreciators ("it's really approaching being a parts gun isn't it?), comparison shoppers (I can get it for less locally what you think about dat?), circling buzzards (Will you take less, let's say four hunnert? You will? No, that wasn't an offer; I was just wondering if your price was firm.) but I am willing to be patient with folks whom I think might actually intend to throw a few sheckels on the blanket. All the rest can walk.

jack
Posted By: eightbore Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 09:57 PM
I have not had trouble insuring high dollar guns at the Post Office, but I would like to have an answer to my question about the $16.00 insured shipping at Fed-X. What do you guys think about the poster who mentioned that rate?
Posted By: terc Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/17/11 11:58 PM
The insurance I have on my gun collection covers guns being sent to me or guns I ship. There is a $2000.00 deductable,so I do have to insure for that amount.I would imagine some more expensive plans may have no deductable allowing some sellers to ship for less.
dave
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/18/11 01:00 AM
Eightbore, the only way I can see that Fedx rate is a discount commercial rate. Sure can not get a rate quote on their web site using CT to AL zipcodes and a declared value of a grand. You mileage may vary as they say.
Posted By: Brian Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/18/11 02:49 AM
FEDEX and UPS will not pay over $1000.00 claim on a gun no matter what you have it insured for through them. its right in their rules. Dont believe me, look it up.
Thats why i use uSPS. And they have never lost or damaged a package on me. I cant say that for either UPS or FEDEX.

Buyers. look at the feedback of the person you are buying form. BEFORE YOU BID.
It isnt always the ebst way to judge but it gives you a good idea. And read it. some of the negative feedback posted is pure BS as it relates to both buyers and sellers!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/18/11 03:06 AM
I always use the USPS because there are many offices in a relatively short distance, they seem less expensive than UPS or FEDEX, they suggest the least expensive way to ship, they don't want to know what is in the box except if hazardous or spoilable, and, and I may not be right on this, but if something gets monkeyed with they have guys & girls with badges, guns and warrants to look into it. I also ask for payment by USPS money order. Just me and one of the few thinks I like about the Federal government.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/18/11 03:13 AM
Brian:

You said its right in there regulations tht they do not pay a clain over $1000. I can not find this where do you see it. Is it on their website?

John
Posted By: Dave K Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/18/11 01:04 PM
If you want insight into UPS and their insurance scam do a search for the company they have farmed it out to "Crawford".
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/18/11 04:29 PM
Pertaining to Markethunters question......Only Fed-Ex Ground has that low of a rate. Fed-Ex Ground is an independant company from Fed-Ex Express and was a non-union shop(last I heard). All drivers are self employed BUT accountable to the Fed Ex system in TN. This lowers the cost of doing business....thus lower rates.

FWIW...my postmaster tells me they are not allowed, by Law, to charge less than other carriers for the same package service. I don't have written confirmation...she has not steered me wrong in 10 years and I tend to believe her.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/18/11 07:09 PM
Brian

Where did you read this?

Tell me so I can go look

John Boyd
Posted By: tut Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/18/11 10:02 PM
Figures I'd be late to the party. My shipping rates (I sell on Gunbroker) is in two categories, lower 48 and Alaska, Hawaii. I used to charge $30 and $40 respectively. I recently upped that to $40 and $50 (because I was losing money) and that is USPS Registered Mail insured for the full amount because they take better care of the gun when its sent registered no doubt. It also allows me to track it on line and know when its delivered. I could no doubt ship it regular slow mail USPS and insured, but I just like the security of Registered Mail and so do the folks I've shipped to. PS. If I was shipping a lighter gun, ( 5 lb .22 rifle for example) I drop my rates by $5.00 because it costs me less. FWIW, If I ship to California I almost always lose on the shipping by a few bucks. If I ship to Pa, I'm ahead a bit. this isn't an exact science for shipping. Over here at USPS, the rates are based not only on weight, but on the size of the package as well as where its being shipped to. Too much to figure out in my little pea brain so I try to keep things simple. If anyone wants to know my posting name on GB, send me a PM and I'll provide it to you.
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/18/11 10:58 PM
I guess I've always been lucking because I never had a negative experience selling guns online.... UNTIL JUST A COUPLE DAYS AGO.

Earlier this week, I sold a hammer gun on Gunbroker to a buyer that had never dealt online before (no feedback). We spoke and emailed several times and everything was going just fine. Then, out of the blue, I get a call from the buyer saying he's going to back out of the deal because he was "worried" about a few things. His first complaint was that I was't a dealer. I never claimed to be one so I don't know why he assumed that in the first place. I guess that 100% positive feedback means nothing and that an FFL would have made me a more "legitimate" seller. Second, he complained that I requested the FFL license copy be emailed (even though I told him a faxed copy was fine). For some reason unknown to me, that "scared" him. He was also worried by the fact that I sent him my mailing address for him to send payment to. He wanted my physical address so he could have my "real" address.... but he never asked for it nor did he need to. Had he cared to look, he would have found my street address on the Gunbroker site.

It's irritating that some people come up with some many dumb reasons to back out of a deal. If you don't want the gun, save the stupid excuses, and just say so.

Adam
Posted By: Brian Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/19/11 02:05 AM
Originally Posted By: arrieta2
Brian:

You said its right in there regulations tht they do not pay a clain over $1000. I can not find this where do you see it. Is it on their website?

John

Here is my previous post with the info fromt ehir website.
Look at the section on items of extraordinary value.
UPS plays the same game.

I use USPS. Heres why,
1. they have (knock wood) bever lost a gun on me or anything else that matter.
2. I dont have to pay USPS for the right to give them business like you do as a regular daily pick up UPS account.
3. UPS and FEDEX do not pay over 1000 of value on any used gun. Dont believe me, ask them. It doesnt matter if they sold you 10 grand in insurance on your double when you shipped with them. if it get brolken or lost, they limit themsleves to 1000.00. I know, I have had that happen to me personally. I made all the calls. threatened lawsuit etc.

here is what it says on their website: http://fedex.com/cn_english/services/scc.html

Declared Value Limits

1) FedEx Letter / FedEx Envelope / FedEx Pak

The maximum declared value for customs and carriage for a shipment using a FedEx Letter, FedEx Envelope or a FedEx Pak is US$100.00. Regardless of whether you declare a value for carriage exceeding US$100.00 for a FedEx Letter, a FedEx Envelope or a FedEx Pak, FedEx's maximum liability for any claim is limited to US$100.00.

2) Shipments of Extraordinary Value

Shipments containing any of the following items of extraordinary value are limited to a maximum declared value for carriage of US$1,000 per shipment or US$20 per kilogram, whichever is greater. Our maximum liability for any claim for such item is US$1,000 per shipment or 19 Special Drawing Rights ("SDR") per kg, whichever is greater. The conversion to local currency uses the exchange rate published by the International Monetary Fund.

Artwork
Antiques
Glassware
Jewelry including watches and gems
Precious metals Furs
Ostrich and emu eggs
Collector’s items
Film, photographic images Guitar and other Musical instruments that are more than 20 years old
Stocks, bonds, cash letters or cash equivalents Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage, or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain

* Full description of the above Items of Extraordinary Value are set out in the Conditions of Carriage

FEDEX considers firearms as collectables and as commodities.So, for all of you who ship FEDEX and think you are protected. Yo have been giving FEDEX lots of insurance rpemiums for insurance you will never collect on. And they will sell it you and not say a word.

Posted By: tut Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/19/11 02:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Adam Stinson
I guess I've always been lucking because I never had a negative experience selling guns online.... UNTIL JUST A COUPLE DAYS AGO.

Earlier this week, I sold a hammer gun on Gunbroker to a buyer that had never dealt online before (no feedback). We spoke and emailed several times and everything was going just fine. Then, out of the blue, I get a call from the buyer saying he's going to back out of the deal because he was "worried" about a few things. His first complaint was that I was't a dealer. I never claimed to be one so I don't know why he assumed that in the first place. I guess that 100% positive feedback means nothing and that an FFL would have made me a more "legitimate" seller. Second, he complained that I requested the FFL license copy be emailed (even though I told him a faxed copy was fine). For some reason unknown to me, that "scared" him. He was also worried by the fact that I sent him my mailing address for him to send payment to. He wanted my physical address so he could have my "real" address.... but he never asked for it nor did he need to. Had he cared to look, he would have found my street address on the Gunbroker site.

It's irritating that some people come up with some many dumb reasons to back out of a deal. If you don't want the gun, save the stupid excuses, and just say so.

Adam

If you do this long enough you will get bit. Just goes with the turf I guess. I bought a Parker VH 16 one time from a fellow who didn't have the tools to measure the choke correctly. Through a couple of phone calls he finally told me had had a caliper and could at least give me the inside barrel dimensions. So, I figured we were at least talking the same language. Came out as a full and mod. When I got the gun there was no choke in the right barrel and about .005 in the other. Bores were pretty crappy with multiple dents (not disclosed I might add). Tried to return it (had a 3 day inspection period). Then he told me the fellow he was listing it for on consignment) had already spent the money I sent (apparently cashed the money order the day it arrived). Bottom line is I ate the gun. Ended up selling it for exactly what I had in it for full disclosure of all the warts.

BTW, I have had the same issue with some buyers you have had. I had one fellow who refused to send me a money order. He said he had to send it to a nearby dealer because he didn't trust me that I would keep the cash and not send the gun. Guess the 60 plus feedbacks on Gunbroker as a seller meant nothing. Guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Sellers gripes. our turn - 03/19/11 05:33 AM
When I ship USPS priority it always gets there within three or four days. I shipped one of my nicest guns via USPS registered mail and it took four months to arrive. They couldn't tell me where it was until the day before it showed up. It was the worst shipping experience I've ever had.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com