doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HOS stock bending - 04/08/11 03:29 AM
I am interested in a Winchester 501 (same as a 101, I believe) trap gun with a parallel stock (about 1-1/2 at heel and comb. I would like to use this as a sporting clays gun, but even on my best days am prone to shooting over targets. Four questions: (1) can a stock be bent straight down 1/2 inch or so? (2) can the stock be bent right (cast off) at the same time about 1/4 inch or so? (3)If the foregoing is possible, will it last or revert to its pre-bent shape? (4) who would you recommend to do this stock bending? Thanks.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: stock bending - 04/08/11 05:15 AM
All of the bending I have done has been one direction at a time.
Yes, the stock MAY be bent 1/2 down IF the wood will allow it to. Bending for cast is usually a second step. Some bending jigs will allow for both together but it really puts a stress on the stock that way. If the bending is done well there will be little or no movement. There are multiple people who can do the job. Start with the www.acgg.org listing for stockmakers.
Posted By: RCC Re: stock bending - 04/08/11 10:25 AM
And while Dennis has to much class to tell you, he is a fine stocker.

Ask him (privately)if he would do the job. He won't stroke you.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: stock bending - 04/08/11 04:21 PM
Contact infro. for Dennis and others here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/16314697
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: stock bending - 04/08/11 11:06 PM
HOS, I've shot trap guns at sporting for years. I never had a stock bent. I was either too chicken that it would break during the bend, or I was afraid it would return to it's original specs while sitting out in this hot Jawja sun.

What I have done to solve the problem of not enough drop is to add on a higher rib. They come in different heights and adhesive on top of your original rib. Totally removable with no damage to gun. Works like a charm. While they look like crap on a nice side by side, etc., for a comp gun they are the ticket. Made of very lightweight blackened aluminum or hard plastic, and cheap, too. Just a thought.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com