doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: boxbirder Browning BSS change to manual safety - 04/28/11 02:17 AM
Can you change the safety on a BSS to manual.
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Browning BSS change to manual safety - 04/28/11 02:21 AM
I don't know for sure, but I would bet so.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Browning BSS change to manual safety - 04/28/11 03:07 AM
There is probably a rod running from the top lever to the safety, operating on a cam principal. Remove the rod and it'll be manual. Of course the stock will have to be removed to do it.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Browning BSS change to manual safety - 04/28/11 05:54 PM
Yes, you can change it. From memory only (I might forget something here). Remove the stock from the action. Remove the retaing clip that holds the safety button. Remove the large "L" shaped bar under the safety button and the safety rod that goes to the toplever cam. Flip the rod around so the collar on the rod no longer engages the "L" shaped bar, reassemble all parts. It's the collar on the rod that pushes the safety back to the "safe" position, if the rod is flipped around, the collar no longer engages the "L" bar and doesn't push the safety on.

I think my picture shows it after I've flipped the rod around. Note that the collar is quite a way from the "L" bar and when the toplever cam pushes it back, it would not travel enough to set the safety. (disregard that arrow as this pic was for some other topic long ago)
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Browning BSS change to manual safety - 04/28/11 06:06 PM
Just thinking about the picture a bit, I think you need the rod in there to reset the trigger when dry firing or a misfire (no recoil). I would not leave it out entirely. I haven't tried that in any of the numerous BSS guns I've had. I always just flipped the rod around. So, you're a test pilot if you take it out altogether.
Posted By: boxbirder Re: Browning BSS change to manual safety - 04/28/11 07:51 PM
I tried taking that rod out with the donut, it doubles if it's not in there. So I will try to flip it out later. Crazy weather here in NJ today. Thanks
Chuck is exactly right about the rod. Just reverse it and everything will work properly, the safety just will not reset to "SAFE' when the breech is opened.

I did both mine exactly like that.

Terrible weather across the South last night and today, too. One report said 150 tornadoes in the South last night and this morning. Many dead. Many, many more homeless. Please pray.

SRH
Posted By: boxbirder Re: Browning BSS change to manual safety - 04/29/11 01:14 AM
Worked like a charm. The internet is a wonderful thing EH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com