doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: hoser Connecticut Shotgun RBL Launch Edition 20ga? - 05/04/11 08:01 PM
Anyone have feedback on the RBL Launch Edition 20 ga guns -- good or bad? Did the single or double triggers have any issues, or fit and finish that improved or degraded in later year productions, ect? General estimated prices (PM or email me if preferred)? Thanks in advance!
I've got one and it works just fine. Double triggers, case hardened finish. I don't have any later models to compare it to. The wood is very dark, well figured, but not spectaculary contrasted.

I had a problem with the forend being slightly loose, sent it back and they fixed it very quickly.
I've been very pleased with all four of my RBLs, all straight grip double trigger with 4x wood. I didn't like the very shiny wood finish on the early Launch Edition's, but fortunately mine was later and had the duller finish, and I also got the extra-cost color case hardened finished receiver. So, it more closely matches my later RBLs. The trigger pulls on my Launch Edition 20-gauge are just a tad heavier than I like for shooting clay targets, but I never notice shooting birds. I've shot my RBL-16 more than the other three, and in that I have a huge supply of 1 1/8 ounce #6 shot 16-gauge shells, it has become my go to Pheasant gun.
I have a ST, PG, BTF, Exhibition wood 20ga that I have shot a lot and have had -0- problems.
I have a RBL 20 and 28. Very happy with both guns, with a slight preference for the 28. No issues with fit and finish or function.

Both are CCH actions with DT/SFE/SG. I got a set of 30" barrels with the 28 which are real nice for that gauge - not sure if they are available or advisable for the 20, which is a bit heavier and has the adjustable chokes.
I saw a very early launch edition 20 with an SST that did not function properly. But I think they worked out most of the issues before long, and you often see a lot of praise for their customer service when there is a problem.
I have a Launch Edition with case-colored receiver, single trigger, pistol grip, and beavertail forend, exhibition Turkish with the gloss finish, s.n. 20. It is a beautiful gun. I have shot it for several dove seasons with no problems whatsoever. I will say that the later Launch Edition guns I have seen have better engraving than mine.

I also have an RBL12 in the same configuration with 32" bbls. that is a clays killer. I have also used it on doves with great success. Everyone that sees it comments on the wood, which is exhibition Turkish also. Zero problems of any kind.

I just bought a 28 ga. RBL in the same configuration as the above two guns, with 30" bbls., at the Southern SxS that is having the chokes opened and will be shipped next week. Looking forward to shooting it soon.
JR
I think the shiny stock finish was an extra. Mine has a duller finish too, and I prefer that. Mine weighs 5.8 pounds.

The "coin finish" guns were less expensive but fewer were made. They look kinda good.

I was not the original purchaser of my gun, but it was unfired. Not that that matters, I'm a used gun guy, and I got a great deal on it.
Never understood why anyone would want a "dull" finish on their gunstocks. I'm no fan of a thick, heavy epoxy/plastic finish, but a nicely done gloss finish, or a shiny semi-gloss, is much nicer than a no-gloss flat oil finish. Dull is good word to describe it.
JR
It's not a flat finish, it's semi-shiny, just not deep gloss. One could slap on a few coats of oil and it would be deeply glossly, but that's not what I want.
What's the going price on these...seems like about $3,000 used?
I have a 20 ga RBL Launch Edition Reserve, pistol grip stock, beavertail forearm, SST, case-colored receiver, 3x black walnut, oil finish, 14 1/4" LOP. Fits me and points very well. I like it. My only complaint is the wrist....very thick compared to my 20 gauge guns.
js
I cancelled my Launch Edition when my friend recieved his. I saw the checkering and it shouldn't have left the factory that way. CSM used a laser and Tony showed this to me and Builder when we went to the factory. My friend's checkering was double cut in areas and had obviously been fouled up and the operator elected to cut it even deeper. It really looks like crap, to this day. He'd have to take about 1/8" of wood off to get the checking off. What a mess.
Hoser,

Depending on the wood they are near 3G and up looking at recent auction results. The beauty of the RBLs now is that they are inspectable, no surprises as Chuck H's friend experienced. Some are supposedly unfired/NIB but the used ones should have the bugs rung out and ready to go. I have a 16 RBL that I think highly of, some of the 16's are not so great. I would have a 20RBL if I wasn't holding out for one of the "light weight" 12Ga. RBLs. If that doesn't happen then a 28.

Chuck, did your friend attempt to have CSMC repair his gun?

Chief
Posted By: tw Re: Connecticut Shotgun RBL Launch Edition 20ga? - 05/06/11 01:10 AM
I have one of the first guns, #13. It has the single trigger & PG stock w/std forearm. It has seen some use, been to South America several times and remains trouble free and shows zero signs of wear even though it is no virgin. I could tell you it had less than a flat of cartridges through it & you would believe it on inspection. Receiver is the 'French gray' finish and it holds up VERY well. Gun has been cared for & cleaned properly after each & every use.

I had a group of friends & associates buy them, not sure exactly how many in total, but more than a dozen; several bought pairs. None of the launch edition 20's they received went back for anything and all have been in hot corners in SA more than once and have delivered dependable trouble-free performance.

The choke tubes w/o any notches and the taper only wrench struck me as odd at first, but none have ever backed out while shooting nor stuck. I do not shoot mine well pre-mounted at clay targets, but low gun on skeet or bringing it to shoulder in the field it has proven its design more often than not. I have used it for pass shooting dove, mostly high flyers, perdiz behind dogs & a few pheasant, also behind dogs. I gave it a fair workout on assorted clay target games when it was received. It is NOT a target gun, but it is a well made reliable & good handling field gun that will stand up to melt your fingerprint use, given reasonable care.

I would agree w/ J. Roberts that the later 'engraving' was better executed, but I don't fault mine, if that makes any sense. I didn't get excited about the idea of sending it back to have the 'engraving' coverage increased to exactly match the pic first advertised, so passed on that 'gratis' offer when it was made.

I really enjoy using it afield and do not intend to dispose of it.
My RBL is a 16 gauge so I can't directly address the 20. However I can say that my gun is reliable, handles very well, and is the gun I use preferentially now. It has been a great pheasant shotgun and I am pleased that I have it.
I think this may be good time to make a point about the RBL series of guns. They are shooters. They are reliable shooters. Many people have tried to cast aspersions against these guns in various ways. They have proven to be well-made, reliable, nice-looking guns that need no apologies. But they are made to shoot and they perform as well as or better than any other sxs I've ever owned.

A very few buyers were not happy with their Launch Editions, but you cannot please everyone. Some of those guns were, let us just say "less than beautiful", but the vast majority were very nice.

The subsequent 12, 16, and 28 ga. versions have all been well-received. I absolutely love my 12 ga. target special with 32" bbls., beavertail, pistol grip, and single trigger. I also anticipate having some fun with my RBL28 with 30" bbls. configured the same way, that should arrive next week.

I, for one, am really glad Tony Galazan brought these guns to us. Excellent value, made in the USA.
JR
I have SR#110 and it came with the shiny finish and ~1/4" cast on. When Tony restocked it, it was with the more dull finish, which is just fine. A little of his Renaissance Wax does the job, and brings out the luster and beauty of the grain. The wood is exhibition grade straight/single trigger and case color. The stock replacement was no charge, as was the repair when the centering pin on the ejector came loose. It's a fine gun and my go to gun for birds. best...mike
Mine is also an early gun (#198) ST/SG/BTFE, Exhibition Turkish, long LOP. The gun had some issues early on (to be expected on a new design, IMHO) which were repaired quickly. I really like the gun
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com