doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RCC Linder or Lindner? - 05/30/11 09:33 PM
I am forever looking for Lindners to add to my collection of three and I have found several listings now for Charles Daly guns by Charles Linder.

I know nothing about guns made by him, and little more about those made by Lindner.

I would appreciate a discussion here by those who do know the history and of the quality of those guns from both gun makers.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Linder or Lindner? - 05/30/11 09:46 PM
It's like Bernadelli/Bernardelli--the latter being the correct spelling, the former a very common mistake. Heinrich August Lindner was the gunmaker, and a very good one. Made excellent guns, many sold under the Charles Daly name, until around 1915. His guns can be identified by his initials (HAL) over crossed pistols on the barrel flats, as his proprietary maker's mark. I don't know of any gunmaker named Linder. I think it's like the Bernardelli misspelling.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Linder or Lindner? - 05/30/11 10:49 PM
Larry, remember that his earlier guns were marked with a crown over crossed pistols. I think that upon the creation of proof laws in Germany he changed to the HAL over the pistols to avoid appearing to be a proof mark. Or at least that's the way I understand it.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Linder or Lindner? - 05/30/11 10:55 PM
Posted By: JayCee Re: Linder or Lindner? - 05/31/11 12:21 AM
Hello Larry,

You could have cited "Purdy/Purdey" as an even more common mistake.

JC smile
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Linder or Lindner? - 05/31/11 11:20 AM
Joe, thanks for adding that. JC, that's one I don't see as often as Bernadelli and Linder. I see Bernadelli even from quite a few dealers.
Posted By: RCC Re: Linder or Lindner? - 05/31/11 01:31 PM
Larry,

For awhile I thought that it was a misspelling too, perhaps out of ignorance Of HA.Lindner or perhaps out of ignorance of Charles Linder. But the fact that two different first names are so often used with the different spellings and always HA.with Lindner and Charles with Linder spurred me to do a google search. It turned up two gun makers of those names, one Prussian and one German.

Thus my question to those here who may know of each.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Linder or Lindner? - 06/05/11 01:06 PM
It would seem that the Charles originated from the phrase Charles Daly Lindner ..... From the large effort of Hans Pfingsten & John Mann in DGJ Summer 2005, Vol. 16 Issue 2, page 84-85, either the "n" of Lindner was dropped thru translation or from a Berlin?? advert noting:

"H.A. Linder - Suhl
Founded 1874
Berlin Salesrooms
P. Helbig Wilhelmstrasse 53
Specialty
Charles Daly Guns
For
Export to North America"

Much on the topic here:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=162445&page=1

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com