doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Hnt'MUp! Stevens double - 01/19/07 12:30 AM
I found a Stevens double. It is not a 311 or similar models. I will try to describe it. Hammerless, It uses a rib extension for lock up. This differs in that the extension has a square hole, ala LCS, FOX etc. I don't think it uses a rotary bolt to engage, maybe a through bolt? There is some modest engraving on the action, not badly done. The bottom of the action is marked, J Stevens Arms and Tool Co. Chicopee Falls Mass. Krupp steel barrels. The gun is solid but not as heavy as a comparable 311. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rick
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 12:52 AM
Check and see if it is a 5100. Should be on the side of the action, usually down low and near the rear.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 01:10 AM
Sounds like one of the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company's three Krupp barrel grades, made in 12- and 16-gauge, during the years just prior to the "Great War." The No. 365 had a roll stamped banner with the name on the side of the frame while higher grades were No. 375 and No. 385 and featured some engraving. Their No. 355 was similar to the No. 365 but with High pressure compressed steel barrels. These guns featured a rotary bolt set at a bit of an angle to the breech face, and chopper lump barrels. Really pretty well thought out guns. Products of the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. are definately a cut above those made by J. Stevens Arms Co. after about 1916. In 1912 their No. 355 listed for $25 while the No. 365 listed at $32.50, the No. 375 at $40 and the No. 385 at $60. In the A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalogue for 1912 the Sterlingworth listed for $35. So, from J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. you got Krupp barrels, English Walnut stock, and rebounding locks; three items the Sterlingworth didn't give you! However, the catalogue weights show these Stevens doubles to be pretty hefty -- 7 3/4 to 8 1/4 for 12-gauge and 7 1/2 to 8 for 16-gauge!
Posted By: Hnt'MUp! Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 02:00 AM
Thanks!
I think the gun is one of the higher two. No roll stamps. Decent engraving with some game scenes (birds). The gun is substantial but I did not weigh it. It is a 16 Ga. And has nice wood on it. The gun is in very good original condition, but not perfect by any stretch. I'm thinking that with the Krupp barrels it would be safe to use. Any ideas as to what it is worth?
Rick
Posted By: Don Hardin Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 02:43 AM
The 375&385 had game engraving, I think you had a grade or two below. A keeper. Don
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 04:35 AM
My first double (actually the first shotgun I personally owned) was a J Stevens Arms & Tool Co gun. Do not remember the exact model now but was a low end, either 325 or 335. This gun had the simple cross wedge bolt engaging a slot in the rib extension. Bought it about 52 yrd ago. I had not started reloading so shot ordinary factory loads, mostly 3-1 1/8 but a few 3 3/4-1¼ & when the new mags came out (max-1½) I even bought a box of them & tried them. Barrels were steel, though unmarked as to maker. In my youth I thought as they weren't those "Deadly" Damascus I could use whatever I desired as long as was 2 3/4" 12ga. Don't really know what the chamber length was. Anyway when I eventually traded it off it seemed none the worse for wear. Sure wish I had it back now, for sentimental reasons. This was a cocking rod gun with a cigar box frame shape, very similar to the "Innovative Action" of a certain makers M21. Totally unlike the later 311 type guns.
Posted By: John Mann Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 05:12 AM
Here is where you can look at Daryl Halquist's gorgeous 385.

http://www.worldpath.net/~jmann/Stevens%20385.jpg

These guns are good ones and this one is especially beautiful.
Best,
John
Posted By: Norm Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 08:33 AM
Look on the bottom plate for a model number. Here's a 375 at Cabela's. Other pictures are there too.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...ev16_owa02l.jpg
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 02:27 PM
Here's another, from the "hardware store gun" thread...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=64224942
Posted By: C.L. Willis Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 02:50 PM
John,

As I recall, you took possession of a really nice model 350. Do you still have that gun. Would you like to arm wrestle for it?

Regards,
Charles
Posted By: C.L. Willis Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 04:39 PM
I appologize for hijacking your thread, Hunt'MUp. I just couldn't resist the chance to check in on Mr. Mann. You have a nice hunting piece there, my friend. Enjoy it.

Regards,
Charles
Posted By: outdoorlvr Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 04:49 PM
John whips up a photo of Darryl's beautiful Stevens every so often and I get my fix until he does it again. The tightest patterning 16 gauge gun I've shot was a Stevens 355.
Posted By: John Mann Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 06:19 PM
Yep, still have that gun. I agree that it is decent. I had hoped to use it in trade for Daryl's but he is very uncooperative.
The PM function seems not to work. At least, I have not received responses to prior PMs.
Send me a regular email and perhaps we can talk. Dave is my friend, so------
jmann@worldpath.net
Best,
John
Posted By: Hnt'MUp! Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 08:57 PM
No need to apologize, I am enjoying the flow. Still, I ask, what are they going for? I pulled the link for Cabela's and thought $900.00 to be plenty for that gun in that condition. I looked at a really nice 20 GA NID Field for much less. From all the info posted I will say this gun is the 375 as it looks much like the Cabela's gun. Not as decorated as the one John posted. Thanks again for the info.
Rick
Posted By: Norm Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 09:56 PM
Hard to give you a figure of "what are they going for." They just don't come up for sale that often. I've seen 2 375s for sale, and 2 385s in the past 15 years (and I kind of look for them). If I recall correctly, Daryl had only seen a few, and he gets around MUCH more than I do.

Haven't seen one sell since '95.
Posted By: Hnt'MUp! Re: Stevens double - 01/19/07 10:48 PM
Norm,
I know what you are saying. Usually when I see For Sale, Stevens 16 Ga double I automatically dismiss it as a 311. As in not interested. I don't have too much experience in all the nuances of any maker and this gun is obviously rare. This is very interesting to me. That said interesting can lead to foolishness quickly! I learned that rare doesn't always mean valuable some time ago, ouch! This gun seems to have a lot going for it as far as quality and proven features of the period. In my mind I'm equating it to Fox, LCS, Ithaca features. That should equal similar value, maybe.
Rick
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com