doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: sweep American Gun Co, New York - 07/21/11 11:52 PM
I just looked at one of these at my local gun shop. It is a 12 gauge, exposed hammers, damascus barrels, case colored. It has a serial number but no proof marks or patent dates. I have a few pictures but can't post them. I can email them to someone if they could post them.
My opinion is that it is a guild gun, imported. Has anyone seen one or have one? I first thought it was an American Arms gun. but was wrong.
It is in such nice shape it wants me to buy it, LOL, I just don't want to pay too much. I have plenty of guns I payed too much for already. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Thanks for any help.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: American Gun Co, New York - 07/22/11 12:10 AM
I believe they were American made, but the damascus barrels were most likely imported. I had one with steel barrels that was in good shape and functioned perfectly, but had its chokes cut off and was too heavy for a grouse gun (I think 8lbs)so I sold it for $200.
Posted By: Stallones Re: American Gun Co, New York - 07/22/11 12:20 AM
They are a Folsum Gun and ok, but a Sears Roebuck type for $12.50in early 20th century. I sold one in great shape for 275 last year.
Posted By: sweep Re: American Gun Co, New York - 07/22/11 02:37 PM
Thanks for the help, I think the seller will want alot more than those prices for the gun. I will probably pass on it. Thanks again
Posted By: Researcher Re: American Gun Co, New York - 07/22/11 06:24 PM
American Gun Co. was the name H & D Folsom Arms Co. used on the guns they built at their factory in Norwich, Connecticut, from about the turn of the century until just after WW-I, and sold through their store in New York City.

They made tens of thousands of these guns with all manner of
"trade names" on them as well, but American Gun Co. was the name you got if you didn't specify your own "trade name" for your order. By the early 1920s, H & D Folsom Arms Co. reverted to using the Crescent Fire Arms Company name on the guns they produced and sold. Crescent was the original name on the factory in Norwich when the business was formed, as I recall out of the remains of Bacon Arms Co., circa 1892. By 1893 H & D Folsom Arms Co. had controlling interest in Crescent Fire Arms Co.
Posted By: sweep Re: American Gun Co, New York - 07/23/11 03:20 AM
Researcher; that top hammer gun is the exact gun I was looking at. The same engraving and for end. If you would like a few pictures of what it looks like for your files, just email me. This gun looks like new condition. All the case color remaining. Looks as if it was never fired. Thanks for the information
Posted By: Don Moody Re: American Gun Co, New York - 07/23/11 03:24 AM
Originally Posted By: sweep
This gun looks like new condition. All the case color remaining. Looks as if it was never fired. Thanks for the information

RED FLAG!
Posted By: Researcher Re: American Gun Co, New York - 07/23/11 04:44 AM
I'd love to see some pictures. If you can't post them here, you could send them to AHFCA@comcast.net
Posted By: Researcher Re: American Gun Co, New York - 07/23/11 04:36 PM
This is without a doubt the best surviving example of an American Gun Co. hammer gun I've ever seen --

Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: Researcher Re: American Gun Co, New York - 07/23/11 05:30 PM
Here are a few more --

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com