doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Doug Mann ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 12:17 AM
I'm going to preface this by saying that the ACGG is a sponsor on Dave's web site and also if anyone here wins this gun I will personally pay Dave - and it will be more that the usual $10. This gun is not for sale it is the Guilds annual raffle gun but we, the makers on the project, do share in the proceeds.

Anyway, with that disclaimer out of the way here's the scoop. I'm one of three craftsmen involved with creating this custom shotgun. We are, Larry Peters (metalsmith), myself (wood butcher), and Kenny Majors (engraver). Pete Mazur of Grass Valley California was the project chariman and also the metal finisher. If you care to see any more details on the gun and how to purchase a ticket here's the link http://www.acgg.org/raffle/firearm-raffle-projects

Steven Dodd Hughes took the advertizing photos and was kind enough to allow me to use them for posting on the BBS.If you wonder why I chose to show a picture of the forend in particular, it's because this checkering pattern was blatantly stolen from an original Remington 1894 EE and it was REALLY hard to do. So without further adieu here are a couple of Steve's photos of the gun.

Posted By: Craig Libhart Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 01:16 AM
Stunning, Doug. I am sure by the time that checkering pattern was completed you had become a blabbering idiot. An exemplary piece by all craftsmen involved;thanks for sharing.

Craig Libhart
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 01:50 AM
As I will be doing a feature article for Shooting Sportsman you will have to wait until then for my take on the details of this gun. Suffice it to say, there are many historic and recent tidbits to relate about the creation of this fine double gun.
I was more than impressed by several features but will post a couple more pix, especially showing Doug Mann's lovely checkering. All of us ACGG members marvel at Doug's ability to make large elaborate checkering patterns that look natural and perfectly home on the guns.
Being something of a double-gun guy, I'm absolutely delighted to have had the opportunity to photograph and view this piece under 1500 watts of tungsten lighting!
Don't be bashful about asking Doug questions!
Best,
Steve
The theme is "Pigeon Gun" and this one is mann sized, so to speak...

Posted By: Roy Australia Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 08:26 AM
Wow! That looks lovely.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 11:13 AM
Beautiful gun.
Posted By: wburns Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 11:44 AM
Now that is a beauty! Looks a little fancier than my 1900!
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 03:07 PM
WEll DONE! As usual. Congrats to all for a job well done.
Posted By: BPFischer Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 06:49 PM
What a beautiful firearm... Just plain gorgeous in every aspect! Great work to all involved!
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 08:54 PM
Where is the idiot who posted pictures of the $160,000 plus dollar German 28 gauge O/U, now? I think he should spend some time comparing the checkering pattern on that gun with this one.
He might learn something. Beautiful gun, I wouldn't know what to do with it. Give it to a museum, I suppose.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 09:31 PM
Thanks to all for your kind comments and please feel free to ask any questions you might have about the gun.

Ted, quite honestly the gun was made to shoot and it should be shot - often. Pete Mazur was very specific "The gun has to shoot and function perfectly". It does - I shot it in the white when I was finished with the stock work and it work perfectly. I didn't say I broke all the targets blush but the gun worked just fine.
Posted By: Chris Schotz Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 10:03 PM
Doug,
Great job! Congratulations to you and the other team members.
I've bought tickets in the past. Its a great organization to support.
Chris
Posted By: eightbore Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/11/11 10:13 PM
I knew that when Doug got in there, those boys would learn something about a shotgun. A '94, how about that. Who would have thought? In a couple of years, maybe an American hammer gun. Bill Murphy
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/12/11 01:07 AM
Doug,

That is, I believe, the finest job of checkering cheek panels behind scalloping I have ever seen. Absolutely stunning.

Don't count me with the group that wouldn't know what to do with it. I'd pull that baby out of the case sloooooooooooooowly, and seductively, and let all the others drool while I used her for what she was meant to do. Kill pigeons.

My hat's off to you and the others who collaborated on her. Well done.

Stan
Posted By: Dennis Potter Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/12/11 01:57 AM
To Doug, Larry and Kenny; such a beautiful job each of you have done on an American Classic. Makes me wish I could buy a ticket...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/12/11 02:33 AM
Doug,
I don't doubt for a minute it functions perfectly. Its just that I've spent so much time with simple "tool guns", that I'd be tempted to yell "unclean, unclean" like a leaper colony resident to a passerby if I were to see it up close...
Stunning work. If I win it, will you bend the stock for some left hand cast?

On second thought, "Unclean, UNCLEAN!!!!"

Best,
Ted
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/12/11 04:47 AM
A mere $20 bill give you the chance to make that decision...
Eh?

acgg.org Buy Raffle Tickets!
Posted By: tw Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/12/11 01:36 PM
Doug, You fellers are doing everyone a service with the guild; more successes to all of you!

30" bbls.? How choked and what are the internals; most curious about the original forcing cone & choke treatments.

I dunno how you missed w/it, but no one will be able to miss the excellence of execution.
Posted By: RCC Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/12/11 02:20 PM
Just let one of my tickets win and I will share shooting it with any of you who's trails should cross mine.

Not to shoot it would be like not making love to a beautiful woman because she is beautiful.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/12/11 11:19 PM
Wow!! As I wipe the drool off the keyboard, I really can't imagine how a shotgun could be much more beautiful than that. Absolutely stunning.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/13/11 12:33 AM
Truly great artisans.
Posted By: mark Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/13/11 01:18 AM
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: jim bledsoe Re: ACGG Remington 1894 raffle gun - 08/14/11 05:39 PM
Very nice!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com