doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Coryreb Factory #7 shotshells - 09/09/11 07:49 PM
Saw a post here a while ago asking about factory loaded #7 shotshells....

Came across these on Cabelas. Sound interesting. Thinking about trying them on ptarmigan in AK this year...

Winchester® White Wing SP Heavy Game Shotshells – Per Box
As the white-wing dove population expands North from the Southwest brush country, hunters are facing a new challenge when it comes to bagging a limit of these high- and fast-flying birds. These special loads are Winchester’s answer. They feature bigger payloads than standard heavy game loads for dense, hard-hitting long-range patterns, yet they keep recoil manageable for comfortable high-volume shooting. Loaded with No. 6, No. 8 and hard-to-find No. 7 shot, they are also ideal for grouse, chukar and quail. 25 rounds per box.

Winchester #7 load
Posted By: docbill Re: Factory #7 shotshells - 09/09/11 07:56 PM
That looks and will recoil like a pigeon load. I wouldn't want to shoot many boxes of those in a light gun. One oz. would be plenty for just about any thing I want to shoot.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Factory #7 shotshells - 09/09/11 08:20 PM
Aw, real men shoot whitewings with a .410.
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: Factory #7 shotshells - 09/09/11 08:22 PM
The specs on those dove shells are what I shoot for waterfowl with my 10 bore! Yikes. A bit of overcompensation?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Factory #7 shotshells - 09/09/11 10:03 PM
British 6 shot shells are also very close to 7's. A bit larger, about 6 2/3 by American sizes. Kent sells them in their Gamebore line. Especially later in the season, I'll back them up with something a little bigger in the tight barrel. But they're great pheasant loads, and have killed ringnecks with them out of 12's, 16's and 20's. Also very good prairie grouse (sharptail and chicken) loads. Early season, I'll shoot RST 7/8 oz 7's in the open barrel for prairie grouse, with an ounce of Brit 6's in the tight barrel.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Factory #7 shotshells - 09/10/11 01:58 AM
I shot dove, pidgen and duck with 1 oz , 7.5 with a IC 390 in Argentina. NO problems, perhaps the answer is to hold a little closer.

bill
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com