doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 02:38 AM
The Conservative Government of Canada; now in a majority position in parliment,today introduced legislation to scrap the Canadian long Gun Registry.The legislation also calls for the destruction of all records pertaining to the 7 million long guns currently registered. The Canadian tax payers have, according to some reports spent approximately 2 Billion dollars on this program .The benefits of same in reducing crime have been minimal.This investment could have been put to much better use fighting organised crime.
The legislation will be welcomed by all legitimate owners of long guns.Mandatory registration of side arms and certain automatic weapons will remain in place as will the registration, training and testing for all new gun owners.
Posted By: CJO Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 03:06 AM
Roy ...did you hear our premier McGuinty said he will implement an Ontario registry if the feds scraped the current one?...I heard Quebec want to do the same

CJ
They just dont get it, do they? I can almost understand Quebec, they shoudnt be part of Canada anyhow, and Ontario (my Birthplace) has always been a bit too Liberal...
Posted By: canvasback Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 12:47 PM
Originally Posted By: CJO
Roy ...did you hear our premier McGuinty said he will implement an Ontario registry if the feds scraped the current one?...I heard Quebec want to do the same

CJ

One more reason for being pissed at Hudak for running such a piss poor campaign. He just gave away a provincial majority Conservative government.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 01:15 PM
Whatever happens in Ontario and Quebec, the rest of the country will have arguably among the least restrictive sporting guns regulations in the world. The shooting sports did not lobby against sidearms regulations in effect for 80-odd years.
I would suspect that the Cattle Ranchers and farmers in the western provinces might have paid scant attention to it anyhow. I know thats what would happen here. Law enforcement would play the dickens trying to take guns away from our local ranchers..
Posted By: James M Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 02:36 PM
I don't usually comment on another Countries proposed legislation but I do have a question here. Does this mean that a ridiculous regulation that for example prohibits the owners of pistols with barrels less than 4 inches remains in effect? I've run into this before with fellow Luger collectors from Canada where they can legally own an artillery model with an 8 inch barrel but can't own a standard model with a 4 inch barrel.
Jim
Posted By: canvasback Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 03:44 PM
Originally Posted By: italiansxs
I don't usually comment on another Countries proposed legislation but I do have a question here. Does this mean that a ridiculous regulation that for example prohibits the owners of pistols with barrels less than 4 inches remains in effect? I've run into this before with fellow Luger collectors from Canada where they can legally own an artillery model with an 8 inch barrel but can't own a standard model with a 4 inch barrel.
Jim

Jim, no changes to the hand gun regulation at this point in time. No changes to the licensing regulations for any kind of firearm.

Specifically just the demise of the long gun registry and the destruction of the information it contains. It's an important step as it's the first roll back of government intervention in the lives of gun owners. Everyone here is already now looking forward to the next step.

Takes a long time to turn an unwilling tanker around!

Our oppressive hand gun regulations have been in effect since the mid 1930's. At the time of the introduction of the registry and new long gun licensing requirement in the mid 1990's they significantly added to the handgun regs by outright prohibition of certain kinds of hand guns, a back door method of getting rid of roughly half the handguns in the country. There was a grandfather clause if you already owned the prohibited types but you can only transfer them to others grandfathered in. The plan is that once everyone grandfathered is dead, those guns will be destroyed.

Lots more work to do but the destruction of the registry is a good start.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 03:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
I would suspect that the Cattle Ranchers and farmers in the western provinces might have paid scant attention to it anyhow. I know that's what would happen here. Law enforcement would play the dickens trying to take guns away from our local ranchers..

Last dollar, there are estimated to be approximately 14 million long guns subject to the registry. there are about 7 million on the list. Bit of a discrepancy there.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 05:05 PM
[quote

It's an important step as it's the first roll back of government intervention in the lives of gun owners. Everyone here is already now looking forward to the next step.
[/quote]

Actually James, would you believe the government rolled back a regulation once before. While it was not a registry, it seems back in the teens you had to have a permit to buy and own a gun. The government repealed the law on the 26 th. of May, 1921. I found this interesting. Of course, it was reintroduced years later as the FAC.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 05:47 PM
Originally Posted By: gunsaholic
[quote

It's an important step as it's the first roll back of government intervention in the lives of gun owners. Everyone here is already now looking forward to the next step.

Actually James, would you believe the government rolled back a regulation once before. While it was not a registry, it seems back in the teens you had to have a permit to buy and own a gun. The government repealed the law on the 26 th. of May, 1921. I found this interesting. Of course, it was reintroduced years later as the FAC. [/quote]

Ha, learn something new every day.

Quebec is threatening to take the federal government to court to stop destruction of the data. Bastards!!
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 06:06 PM

You gotta wonder what good that would do. Once the registry is over, a particular gun could be sold legally x number of times without being registered. What would be the point of out dated records. As it is, there are many guns which do not have any serial number or identification. Sure, they supplied ID stickers if a gun didn't have a serial number, but many people didn't bother putting them on or they have fallen off. So not sure what keeping old records would accomplish. But hey, it's politicians.
Posted By: James M Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 06:31 PM
I used to go up to a fishing camp on a remote lake in Ontario years ago. The was a Remington 742 rifle sitting there at all times with a loaded magazine next to it. They told me there was problems with bears.
I went up the year after the long gun registration law went into effect and the rifle wasn't there anymore. I asked and was told they still had it of course it just wasn't out in plain sight nor of course had it been registered.
Jim.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 07:04 PM
Man as bad as it is here with gun laws I guess we should be happy that we don't have "the least restrictive sporting guns regulations in the world" !

We can buy and sell as unlicensed individuals both "sporting guns" and all the others-handguns as well, among other residents of the same state here without any paperwork or other government intrusion.Its only the the interstate sales that get the paperwork (4473) and NICS call and thats supposed to disappear from any Permanent record.

Registration has always been the first step to confiscation,we should all learn from the lesson in Canada what a long hard road they will have to get rid of the laws that did nothing to stop crime .Most importantly every gun owner should, fight for every gun-not "well I only have "sporting guns" so the black rifle/hand gun bans don't affect me attitude".
Posted By: canvasback Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 07:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave K
Man as bad as it is here with gun laws I guess we should be happy that we don't have "the least restrictive sporting guns regulations in the world" !

We can buy and sell as unlicensed individuals both "sporting guns" and all the others-handguns as well, among other residents of the same state here without any paperwork or other government intrusion.Its only the the interstate sales that get the paperwork (4473) and NICS call and thats supposed to disappear from any Permanent record.

Registration has always been the first step to confiscation,we should all learn from the lesson in Canada what a long hard road they will have to get rid of the laws that did nothing to stop crime .Most importantly every gun owner should, fight for every gun-not "well I only have "sporting guns" so the black rifle/hand gun bans don't affect me attitude".

Dave, you are absolutely right. Registration is the first step to confiscation. That's what they did 15 years ago to a large proportion of handguns here.

While I only own hunting guns, we are all in this together as gun owners. It's not really about guns, it's about property rights and freedoms, at least up here.
Posted By: James M Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/26/11 08:08 PM
I should also add that there are now 6 States including my own that have told the Feds to stuff their gun regs. At this time any firearms made in Arizona and sold to residents in the State of Arizona are exempt from Federal regulation per State law.
BTW: If anyone is interested there's the "Big Sandy" machine gun shoot that open to the public this weekend in Western Arizona.
Jim
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/27/11 12:21 AM
I should also add that there are now 6 States including my own that have told the Feds to stuff their gun regs. At this time any firearms made in Arizona and sold to residents in the State of Arizona are exempt from Federal regulation per State law.
BTW: If anyone is interested there's the "Big Sandy" machine gun shoot that open to the public this weekend in Western Arizona.
Jim

I don't know if it's true but I heard that Montana told the feds to ram it up their arse too.
Posted By: James M Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/27/11 12:53 AM
Here you go.
Jim
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=137649
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/27/11 01:04 PM

Thanks Jim. I will be not only sending this to all of my friends outside of doublegunshop but I will also be talking with my district state representative, who is a personal friend of mine. I suggest that all of you do the same. It's time we take back our country.
I don't understand this post. A friend with a Pal registered a gun just last week. It seems the original poster meant that a bill to scrap the registry was started, but it is still in effect.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/27/11 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Nitro Express
I don't understand this post. A friend with a Pal registered a gun just last week. It seems the original poster meant that a bill to scrap the registry was started, but it is still in effect.

Nitro, you are correct. It has been presented to Parliament but has not yet been enacted.

Each bill requires three what are called "readings". That is when it is presented to the House of Commons. It provides a framework for the HOC to recommend and make changes to the bill.

We had the first reading on Tuesday. That means it's now officially on the agenda. It is in second reading now. After that it will go to committee to be worked on for it's final version. This is when public outcry or support is most valuable as the MP's and the government, like all politicians, are subject to media and public influence.

On the plus side, what has happened so far suggests the bill is being fast tracked AND the Conservative government trying to pass the bill has a majority in the HOC as well as a majority in both our Senate and in the committees.

It will only be changed if the government submits to pressure tactics from the media and the left.
Posted By: Cameron Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/27/11 02:26 PM
Good stuff! Certainly hope that the Conservatives don't cave to pressure from the media and the left. I don't suppose that it will effect in any manner, taking a long gun into Canada-not that it's burdensome to begin with, or at least from my limited experience.

Thanks for the link SxS. A bit disappointed that ID hasn't passed it yet. Will need to see where it's at in the Legislature here.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/27/11 04:09 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback

Dave, you are absolutely right. Registration is the first step to confiscation. That's what they did 15 years ago to a large proportion of handguns here.

While I only own hunting guns, we are all in this together as gun owners. It's not really about guns, it's about property rights and freedoms, at least up here.

Thanks Canvasback, ! I know there are lots of fellow gun owners up there like you who feel the way most of us here do.
"We must hang together or surely we shall hang separately" (Ben Franklin)

Unfortunately we both also have a lot of as long as they don't take my shotgun they can have the "black rifle,handgun or..,type here who are a big part of the problem and need to be brought in line or kicked to the side.
"Your either with us or your with the enemy" !
Posted By: canvasback Re: Canadian Long Gun Register tobe axed. - 10/27/11 09:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave K
Originally Posted By: canvasback

Thanks Canvasback, ! I know there are lots of fellow gun owners up there like you who feel the way most of us here do.
"We must hang together or surely we shall hang separately" (Ben Franklin)

Unfortunately we both also have a lot of as long as they don't take my shotgun they can have the "black rifle,handgun or..,type here who are a big part of the problem and need to be brought in line or kicked to the side.
"Your either with us or your with the enemy" !

Dave, you make a good point about the split in viewpoints being sporting arms owners and black rifles, hand guns etc.

My opinion is that the introduction of the registry 15 years ago along with the other changes made at the same time, started a slow understanding from sporting gun owners that they would surely be next once the hand gun guys were taken care of; at the same time the hand gun guys have been galvanized out of an 80 year complacency because of the inclusion of guns like all .32 caliber as prohibited at that time. No rhyme or reason for .32 to be banned, just a good way to get rid of 40% of registered hand guns at the time.

The reality of the over arching aim became clear and slowly we all started to respond.

Additionally the growing mountain of evidence about CC in the US, the adoption by almost all states that results in immediate drops in violent crime and the identification of local jurisdictions that ban CC and their rates of violent crime are helping to change minds on that subject.

This is a first step. When it has been executed, we'll move onto the next.

BTW, the Canadian gun forum I'm on, CGN, demonstrated very effectively it's power to mobilize volunteers during our last Federal election to work specifically in ridings to oust an incumbent that was particularly hostile to our views. We are getting a better understanding of the political power we can wield when we are united.

Having said that, for any Canadian reading, please understand I am speaking in generalities. Of course, all along there have been people who were fighting the good fight.
One thing about the long gun registration; it makes it a 'walk through' for Americans to bring a shotgun into Canada if you have a P.A.L. and have registered the gun. I expect that when the permanent registration is scrapped we'll go back to having to file the temporary registration at the border and pay the fee...Geo
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com