doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: tunes Army & Navy 12ga / What do you think? - 11/10/11 08:07 PM
Stopped by a big box store and they had a side x side Army & Navy CSL box lock, extractor. 12ga in the used gun rack.

Straight stock in good condition with a pad. Lock-up was tight with the lever to the right, no wiggle with the fore arm off. 27" barrels in good shape with no pitting. The gun was proofed for a 1 1/8 oz load. I was not able to take any pictures, however, the overall condition of the gun was good. The engraving was crisp the metal and stock finish was good. Did not look as if any of the screws were messed with.

Had a couple of warts though:

It had Briley choke tubes installed
The stock was cut down to 13 3/4" length of pull.

Asking price is $1,200

How about your input?

Thanks,

tunes
Rudy this is my opinion.

Choke tubes eliminate it as a collector.

Too light for a clays gun.

Stock too short for a clays gun.

It would make a good bird gun.

I would make an offer so low that they get mad and then see what they come back with.

Check the ejectors: Right only, left only, right left, left right.

Check the trigger pulls. 12 pound trigger on a 6-1/2 pound gun is problematic.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: tunes Re: Army & Navy 12ga / What do you think? - 11/10/11 08:31 PM
Sorry Mike, I goofed up, the gun is an extractor gun. I don't need a collector gun, just want a shooter that is not butt-ugly.

tunes
Posted By: King Brown Re: Army & Navy 12ga / What do you think? - 11/10/11 09:53 PM
Only a few hundred lower and it fits you. It must fit you. I have one that fits and shoot well with it. The craftmanship and history are bonuses.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Army & Navy 12ga / What do you think? - 11/10/11 11:28 PM
An A&N extractor gun would never be a "collector" unless in absolutely mint condition. If you've got 13 3/4" to the end of the wood, you can easily add another inch with a pad. The Brileys add to the gun's versatility as a shooter. If it fits you otherwise, I would not rule it out as a shooter . . . after a bit more negotiation.
Posted By: ed good Re: Army & Navy 12ga / What do you think? - 11/10/11 11:56 PM
installing after market choke tubes in a sxs is a crap shoot. sometimes point of aim is changed for one or both barrels, sometimes not. the only way you can tell is to shoot several rounds at a pattern board, using your preferred ammo.
Posted By: mc Re: Army & Navy 12ga / What do you think? - 11/11/11 12:02 AM
the A&N that i have looked at were very well made with really good fit and finish.you would have to spend quite a bit more to get the quality of work that was put into these guns on a new gun.it might be a really good shooter for you mc
Don't know which store you are in, but many of the big box stores also have indoor ranges. Ask if you can use the range to pattern the gun to see if the choke tubes are shooting to point of aim.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Army & Navy 12ga / What do you think? - 11/11/11 02:45 AM
A&N guns are usually very well made. The majority were made by W.&C. Scott of Birmingham, one of the finest shops in English history. Don't know what LOP you usually like but a slip on Galco pad will instantly add about 3/4" and in winter with heavier clothes you can shoot the shorter pull. If your thumb doesn't smack your nose it's not too short.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com