doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Genelang Ruger Gold Label - 12/02/11 05:15 PM
I saw one to day, for the first time. English stock, OK wood, ejectors, but the wood to metal fit was awful. The stock was at least 1/32 proud of the metal.

I thought I wanted one until I saw this one. It was NIB.
Posted By: ed good Re: Ruger Gold Label - 12/02/11 08:29 PM
have seen and sold a few. never noticed problem you describe. all that have been thru my hands exhibited usual fine ruger fit and finish. maybe you got one that slipped by qc.
Posted By: mtwoodson Re: Ruger Gold Label - 12/03/11 12:15 AM
Had one for a while and thought it was a good value for the price. It handled well for me.
Posted By: ed good Re: Ruger Gold Label - 12/03/11 01:14 AM
mt: they are goin for $2500 to $2900 these days...a bit over priced in my humble opinion.
Posted By: Genelang Re: Ruger Gold Label - 12/03/11 04:16 AM
I could have got it less than $2500, single trigger. But the wood just didn't make the cut for me. A RBL has much better wood, and is just a bit more. And it's case hardened. The wood fit was rather startling, to tell the truth. And wood was average straight-grained walnut, not the Claro fancy stuff I would have expected.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Ruger Gold Label - 12/03/11 03:03 PM
Ruger seems to me to still have the same old wood policy they have always had: if you buy one sight unseen it's like entering a drawing. Sometimes you get lucky and get a serious beauty; sometimes it is just plain....plain.

Back when I was buying #1s fairly often I made a point of being there when the gun box was opened up by my FFL because I knew he would be tempted to keep the very best wooded guns for himself and order me another one!

My pistol-gripped GL has nice figure on both sides of the stock, my brother's straight-gripped one has one side spectacular, the other side pretty plain! Both are inletted well and have the grain laid out well in the grip area, which is important in a light magnum gun like that.

I won't even say what he got this pair for, right after the end of production....robbery. I think they must have sat in the shop for a year or more before he made an "offer they decided not to refuse." He WAS an old and frequent customer.
Posted By: Erik W Re: Ruger Gold Label - 12/03/11 06:54 PM
I owned one briefly and it seemed to be a pretty crude product in most respects -- wood to metal, barrel flats, water table all very rough.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com