doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Doug Mann Browning experts is this factory? - 12/29/11 04:59 PM
I'm certainly not a Browning expert so that's my concern. The engraving looks to be pretty well done but it doesn't look like a Midas. Any help would be apprecaiated!

Posted By: Researcher Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 12/29/11 08:35 PM
That appears to be a very early production gun with the mono-bloc barrels and the "Browning Non-Crossfire Ventilated Rib". However, the single trigger looks like it is a much later single trigger. Certainly not either of the single triggers offered when that gun was new. Methinks things have happened to that gun since it was new. Whether they happened at FN, StLouis, or somewhere else, I can't hazzard a guess from one internet picture. The engraving does look good to my eye and some of the elements of it smack of Rudolf Kornbrath to me.
Posted By: idahobob Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 12/29/11 09:55 PM
Definitely an early Superposed. Serial number should not be much above 1000. Is it marked "Browning" on the barrel? FN sold guns everywhere but North America and they were slightly different.

The trigger looks suspicious. Is it selective with the selector in the safety? If so it has been changed. It may have been done at the factory. I have been told after World War II Browning refused to repair the twin single triggers and instead installed a single trigger.

Call Glen at Browning in Morgan Utah. He will probably have access to the original records on the gun and tell you how it was originally configured.

The engraving does not appear similar to what I have pictures of on early Browning Superposeds. The style also seems "heavier" or coarser than those I have seen. However at the time this gun was made the guns were usually special ordered and not much was standardized. From what I can see it looks like the early Beavertail fore end. If it was a trap gun or pigeon gun it is quite possible that it was full and full, and that a non-selective single trigger was originally installed.
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 12/29/11 10:57 PM
Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate you comments. I'm going to post a link to the auction site where the gun is located this may give you more information. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll bid on the gun. I never know how the bids will go at this auction, sometimes the prices are either very good or stupid high.

http://bauerauction.auctionflex.com/show...m=8&lang=En
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 12/29/11 11:09 PM
I'm thinking pre 1940. Agree with the guys above, mono-blok, rib, etc. indicates early gun and matches my book. Looks like a single non-selective trigger available at that timeframe. That rear lower pin would place it closer to 1940, but the monoblok style says it's earlier. The Midas pictured in the book which was delivered in 1947 shows a triangle shape with a gold eagle(?) in it and sparse gold wire filled scroll and geometric shapes on a blued frame. So, probably not a Midas.

I'm thinking an early development of the Diana or Grade 5/6 possibly early '30s.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 12/29/11 11:25 PM
Doug, this gun is very early, is going to have a four digit serial number or less. Glenn Jensen is only a phone call away and will not make you wait. You will know the answer immediately. It is no one's "early Midas". It may be a diamond in the rough. I just looked at the pictures. The wood looks original although the beavertail forend is not as big as the Browning trap forend of the day. It could have been reduced and recheckered or it could have been custom ordered. I have an original 32" 1932 Midas Trap but this gun shows more quality and quantity of engraving and inlay than my original. Bill Murphy
Posted By: Buzz Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 12/29/11 11:30 PM
As mentioned above, you can call Glen Jenson, the Browning historian in Utah 8003333288 ext256. Another Browning expert is Rod Fuller in Nebraska. He, likely would be willing to help you, but your best bet would be to contact Glen.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 12/30/11 12:06 AM
No one but Glenn can tell you whether this gun came from the factory the way it is now. Your last chance is to call Glenn Friday is he is in his office. I like the gun and would bid on it if I were you. Have I ever given you bad advice, Doug? By the way, the trigger is a later improvement by the factory. Your friend, Murphy
Posted By: Researcher Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 12/30/11 05:34 PM
From the auction company pictures we can see the serial number 1502 and the Ogden, Utah, barrel address, making this for sure a very early gun with some later improvements, including Val Browning's inertia single selective trigger introduced in 1938.

As Schwing points out on the borttom of page 74, pre-War Superposed serial numbers were not finished in order and certainly not shipped in order. His example shows some guns in the 48xx range shipped to the warehouse in late 1931. Some of these were shipped out nearly immediately and others not until 1934 or even 1936. Meanwhile other guns in the 48xx range weren't finished and sent to the warehouse until 1937.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 12/30/11 07:44 PM
Everything mentioned so far sounds like agreeable guesses. My view is this gun has been re-stocked and custom engraved a long time ago, but not by Browning. The wood work and especially the checkering look very un-original in style and execution. The engraving looks good enough, but is also suspect. Just my opinion after looking at many, many Superposeds over the last 35 years.
JR
Posted By: FHALZ@AOL.COM Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 01/01/12 11:44 PM
The gun sold for $4,100.00. It was not signed. Nice gun but ???. Thanks, frank
Posted By: eightbore Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 01/02/12 01:06 PM
That is a great Super for $4100. Can't wait to hear what Browning says about it. The rare barrels are a great plus.
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Browning experts is this factory? - 01/02/12 08:32 PM
Someone got a really good deal.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com