doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: tunes Henry Tolley information needed - 01/23/12 12:20 AM
I looked at a Henry Tolley 12 bore with 30" Damascus barrels today and would like more information about the gun please.
The fore end is missing and the lug for the fore end is also missing.
The gun locks up tight and the barrels are good with no pitting or dents.
On the right barrel is the markings LH and 14
On the left barrel is the markings LH, 14B & 15M "Not for Ball"
It is also marked Henry Tolley's Patent No 76 on the water table.
The serial number is 117xx

I'd like to know if a fella could come up with a fore end and if the gun is worthy of getting her back into shooting condition?

Thanks much, tunes

Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Henry Tolley information needed - 01/23/12 12:30 AM
I had a post last week about a gun I just bought that I was told by the seller it was a 12 gauge. A 12 gauge shell will fit in it. However, it has the same markings as yours, that being 15 and 14. I was told it is a 15 gauge with 14 bore at the muzzle. If it accepts a 12 gauge shell, the chambers have been reamed out quite a bit.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Henry Tolley information needed - 01/23/12 01:30 AM
Looks like the forend loop rusted out, so probably rust between the barrels.
No doubt more experienced people will chime in and tell you this is beyond a restoration.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Henry Tolley information needed - 01/23/12 02:15 PM
According to the marks it is a 14 bore that is choked made between 1875 and 1887; most probably made to the latter end of that period. If it takes a 12 bore cartridge then I suspect it has been reamed out at some time. I've had a quick scan but can't find a Patent 76 so maybe it's a Use Number. I will have another look but it probably relates to the lock. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Henry Tolley information needed - 01/23/12 02:30 PM
I like Tolley guns but I'd pass on this one even if it was given to me. I'd most likely put more money in it than I should.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Henry Tolley information needed - 01/23/12 05:15 PM
What does the 15M mean?
Posted By: lagopus Re: Henry Tolley information needed - 01/23/12 08:19 PM
It indicates choke i.e. 14 bore barrels and 15 bore muzzle. It was an old proof indication that some degree of choke was present. Lagopus.....
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Henry Tolley information needed - 01/23/12 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
It indicates choke i.e. 14 bore barrels and 15 bore muzzle. It was an old proof indication that some degree of choke was present. Lagopus.....

Thanks!
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Henry Tolley information needed - 01/15/17 12:39 AM

This was peddled by Schoverling, Daly & Gales as they had a satellite sourcing station @ 65 Weaman Street, Birmingham, England in the 1870s & possibly 1880s. Not sure which continental maker used that design?

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=469137&#Post469137

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Henry Tolley information needed - 01/15/17 12:59 AM
Several guns have been discussed fairly recently which had 12 gauge chambers with barrels marked 14 (one was mine). These as I recall have all been guns made prior to the chamber marking, so the 14 is simply the largest size gage which would enter the bore at time of proof. 12 = .729", 13 = .710", 14 = .693" & 15= ..677".
This gun was also built prior to the "Tween" sizes as 14/1 etc. Thus at proof the bores were somewhere between .693" & .710" while the choke was between .677" & .693". It may very well have been built with a 12ga chamber.
Before Shooting it, though I would check the wall over the end of the chamber & be certain it is adequate.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Henry Tolley information needed - 01/15/17 02:02 AM
Originally Posted By: 2-piper

Before Shooting it, though I would check the wall over the end of the chamber & be certain it is adequate.

Well, yea', that, AND find out if in the past 5 years he managed to find front wood, hanger and fore end loop for the gun, which, seems to have rusted off.

Project guns-they start off with so much promise, and end up with so much money stuffed into them.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com