doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: lonesome roads New member - 02/05/12 03:18 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself to the board. Haven't been involved with shooting and hunting for some time, just getting back into it after a 15 year or so absence.

I guess I'd be considered a bit of a whipper snapper around here, "only" 48, not much if any technical knowledge on doubleguns, grew up shooting an Ithaca 37, (right handed,left eye dominate) but have a 12 and 20 ga. Red Lable and an RBL launch edition. Was somewhat surprised on the opinions of some on the Ruger. I really like mine and never had any trouble with them. Both are the sporting clay model; balanced much better than the shorter barrels. Like the RBL, not gaga over it. I'd like to see Tony make a SxS version of the A-10.

Well, just wanted to say hi, and let everyone know how much I enjoy the site. Looking forward to learning about, but most importantly for me, enjoying everything doublegun.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: New member - 02/05/12 03:27 PM
Welcome to the site grasshopper grin.
Steve
Posted By: gunman Re: New member - 02/05/12 04:52 PM
Welcome , yes I'm "48" as well so are most of the guys on here . Some of us have been "48" for quite a few years.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: New member - 02/05/12 04:56 PM
Welcome aboard! ( I can say that because I am working on my boat today) smile
Posted By: bbman3 Re: New member - 02/05/12 05:28 PM
Welcome. Bobby
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: New member - 02/05/12 05:30 PM
Welcome!
Mike
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: New member - 02/05/12 05:34 PM
Thanks, Rockdoc.

As I said, I like my RBL and I shoot it pretty good, but I've already got the bug to move up to something nicer. Wish I had known about all these auction sites before I bought my RBL. There's quite a few nice Spainish sidelocks out there for not much more than I paid for the RBL. I like that Browning BSS sidelock also.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: New member - 02/05/12 05:39 PM
Thank you all for saying hi. It's good to be here, I'm pretty sure I'm going to learn quite a bit and have some fun!
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: New member - 02/05/12 06:00 PM
Welcome to the site. You will find out, as I did, that the fellows on here have a great compilation of knowledge and are eager to share it.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: New member - 02/05/12 06:31 PM
Hey lonesome, don't let the bickering, name calling, and general squabbling currently going on in another thread turn you off to this wonderful site. I've been a member for nearly 10 years and generally you could not find a more geneal and gracious bunch then the folks on this forum.
Steve
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: New member - 02/05/12 06:52 PM
lonesome just so you know who knows what they are talking about I made a list for you:

AmarilloMike

I think this post should be a sticky.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Chuck H Re: New member - 02/05/12 06:57 PM
Sticky and smelly. grin
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: New member - 02/05/12 07:06 PM
rockdoc,

You must have read my mind. Ive been trying to calm down for the last 20 min or so. Being of Italian decent I'm shocked and hurt to what I just read on the other thread. Didn't see that coming. Said to myself I wouldn't get into any pissing contest with anyone here. 99.9% of what people fight over isn't worth it. But them's fightin' words.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: New member - 02/05/12 07:12 PM
Mike

Good one. Thanks for the laugh, I needed one. I've been lurking for awhile, I know you're one of the good ones.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: New member - 02/05/12 07:15 PM
Dang, and I was just about to post over Chuck and Mike arguing about who's the stickiest and who's the smelliest. I think it's pretty much a tie grin.
As far as lineage go's, I'm a mutt, Norwegian, Scotch-Irish and German. However, if I'd had a choice I'd have been Italian, now there's a group of people that know how to live! My late wife also lamented the fact that she wasn't Italian (she went to Catholic school and most of her friends were Italian). That's her expression at the bottom of this post.
Steve
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: New member - 02/05/12 07:18 PM
lonesome it is obvious that you are an extremely perceptive and intelligent man. In the top 1/10 of 1% of this board.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Buzz Re: New member - 02/05/12 07:35 PM
Lonesome: Welcome aboard this great forum. You will learn a lot as there is a wealth of knowledge here and you will learn more if you interact. I have been a member for almost a year, but like you, trolled here long before joining. I have learned so much more since I began interacting (I have been a shooter all my life, but not so much an expert on technical issues of the double guns themselves). Every now and then someone may stick their feet in your face, but forgettabout it because you will learn a lot from the many experts here and the little bit of poor civil behavior and poor attitude here does not count.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: New member - 02/05/12 08:00 PM
Buzz

Pretty much the same shooting backround as you. Reload a little too. Just got busy with life and lost interest in shooting and now coming back to it. Never had much interest in the technical side of it, just miss the friends and being outside with a gun. At a point in my life now where I have a little more time and my hair isn't on fire to work like a maniac to make an extra buck. Figure I have a couple more good decades in me at least and I'm going to enjoy them.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: New member - 02/06/12 04:11 AM
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads

Being of Italian decent

Don't fret none we won't hold it against you.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: New member - 02/06/12 04:33 AM
Now I trully feel welcome! Classic. I love it. Don't worry JOe, I reckon I won't fret none.
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: New member - 02/06/12 06:43 AM
Welcome,

Been here the best part of a decade.

These guys are the most knowledgeable bunch you are likely to find anywhere when it comes to doubles (and a bunch of other stuff!)

I guess I must be a bit of a spring chook too, you've got 6 years on me!!

Cheers,

GDU
Posted By: Mike Bailey Re: New member - 02/06/12 09:13 AM
Welcom, best, Mike
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: New member - 02/06/12 10:55 AM

Hey GDU, or is it oye?

Now you made me feel old again. Kinda liked being the kid.
Think I'll put on some AC/DC to get my morning going.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: New member - 02/06/12 12:29 PM
Welcome, Goombah!! I also love everything Italian, even those things i can't afford- those three knockout Fausti dames, a Lamborghini, Sophia Loren, and most all of the Italian double guns. I am also an Americanski-mutt- Mick Irish, German, Polish,and some Chech-- The Mick is O'Malley on the maternal side, the Morin is the result of the other, after three changes since I was born in 1941. My Italian pals tell me I am one they can trust with secrets- "Subito El Dente"--hey!! and for the nay-sayers and numb-nutz on the other forums- "Uppa Da Giggi" to them, ey???
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: New member - 02/06/12 06:24 PM
Lonesome, first off, welcome, and you have and shoot a Model 37 and you're interested in double guns?

Why?? smile
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: New member - 02/06/12 10:38 PM

Now that's funny. Branching out a little I guess. Sure don't intend on giving up the 37, love em. I'm not too far from upper sandusky, might take a trip to the factory if I can find some time. Always had a thing for doubles, I think it started when I saw an ad for SKB in the American rifleman when I was a kid. Thought they were cool. Slowing down a bit too I guess. They just hark back to a simpler, kinder time.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: New member - 02/06/12 11:11 PM
Just got busy with life and lost interest in shooting and now coming back to it.

I quit shooting one time. Ran outta shells!

Welcome, lonesomeroads, from somwers down in Jawja.

SRH
Posted By: Joe in Charlotte Re: New member - 02/06/12 11:31 PM
LR,

Find a Vintager chapter in your area. You'll get to meet like minded folks and try some guns that others own. The tuition to learn solo can be expensive.
If you can't find a Vintage group near you, try the UP Shoot in Michigan, Flat Rock Shoot in Mo., Vintage Cup in RI this Sept, the Spring Southern SxS an hour south of Raleigh, NC or the Fall SxS at Backwoods Quail, near Georgetown, SC in October, or contact Tom Bryant at Cabelas, Sydney, NB (I'll wager Tom knows someone in your area). Google search any of them to find out more details.

There is always the Antique Arms Show that I just attended in Vegas if you are out west. You really need a team to help shop at that show. It can be a sensory overload.

Bottom line, use this board to find some shooting buddies.

What part of USA are living?

Joe

Shooting cool SxS's hammer and hammerless in: 10,12,14,16,20,24,28,32 and .410 in the Tar Heel State.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: New member - 02/06/12 11:33 PM
Thanks Stan

Love the South East. Miss those piney woods and the "buhds". Was stationed at LeJuene in the early 80's.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: New member - 02/06/12 11:41 PM
Hi Joe

Thanks for the info. Would love to get up to the shoot in the U.P. I live in Michigan and am aware of many of the things you mentioned, just busy as heck. Got another deployment coming up in July so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row for that.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: New member - 02/06/12 11:56 PM
"They just hark back to a simpler, kinder time."

I couldn't agree more with that statement!!! smile
Posted By: Joe in Charlotte Re: New member - 02/06/12 11:59 PM
My daughter is serving in the USAF as an in-flight refueler. She deployed back to the sandbox for the 4th time yesterday. The pilots get a big kick out of her voice when it's time to gas up. Me, nuclear subs, back when Russian commies were bad and Reagan was the boss. We were deployed at 1 time for Prez Ron and well, I still don't know,"Where's the beef?". We were underwater during the whole Wendy' ad run and missed it.

I am going to do the UP shoot one day. It is a part of America I have never visited.

Joe
Posted By: GLS Re: New member - 02/07/12 12:06 AM

Now that's funny. Branching out a little I guess. Sure don't intend on giving up the 37, love em. I'm not too far from upper sandusky, might take a trip to the factory if I can find some time.
A man can never own too many Ithaca M37s. Picked up two Sandusky's last year, the 28 and TurkeySlayer 20.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: New member - 02/07/12 12:30 AM
GLS

Nice! I see another in my future, never had an ultalight, so that's what I'm thinking.

Joe

Outstanding about your daughter. 9 yrs active Marine Corps, now in Mi National Guard. Going to be my third.
Kuait, Iraq, this one Afganistan.
I love all our military services. This country can be proud of it. We are good and I'm not saying that to blow my own horn.
The U.P. is beautiful. I understand that's one fun shoot up there.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com