doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Cash Briley Tubes?? - 02/12/12 03:48 PM
After completeing the trade of my lifetime, I'm the proud new owner of a CSMC Fox XE,
20 gauge, 26", F/M, English, DT, SPFE, Skeletal butt, exhibition wood, 5lb 11 oz

I began to think that a 28 gauge Fox would be a gun I'd like to have. Were it not for the price, I'd have it in a New York minute.
I've searched the Briley website and fitted tubes are certainly an economical alternative.

Ultralight?
Ultimate Ultralight??
Anyone got them? Love them? Hate them?
Does anyone have an idea of the weight of a set of 26" tubes?
Thanks.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/12/12 03:55 PM
Whatever the actual weight, it's going to be too much Bob.

The only reason in the world for a 28 is the overall weight of the gun, and 28's sometimes even without tubes weigh more than their 20ga counterparts.

The 20/28 choice is a place to think with your brain, not your heart. Sure the 28 ga. is a cute little thing, but it's not worth a set of tubes for a field gun.

You have a beautiful gun in the *perfect* gauge.
Posted By: Sam Ogle Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/12/12 04:19 PM
I have owned several sets of Briley 28 gauge tubes in various guns, and with the option of different chokes, they make a bigger gun so much fun; it's almost sinful.
I'm from Nebraska, so the phrase "I'd do it in a New York minute" may be a stretch, but, especially for skeet and doves, shooting 28's is as sweet as that first kiss was all those years ago.
But, then, the decision is yours.
Some 20+ years ago, my brother in law told me "shooting 28 gauge is better than sex." At the time, I didn't quite believe him, but now that I am in my 70th year on the planet, he is much, much closer to being right!

What the heck.......if you want them, buy them and enjoy.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln,NE
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/12/12 04:39 PM
The 20/28 tube set will add less than 10 ounces to the gun and half of that will be between the hands. Buy the best and do not look back with regrets later.
Posted By: FelixD Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/12/12 04:58 PM
I think you'll find this adds quite a bit of weight to the front of the gun. I discovered tubes really changed how my gun felt. I went with Chambermates after selling my tubes. The weight is much less and the gun feels the same. The ejectors work, pattern are good, and they're cheaper too.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/12/12 05:22 PM
If I read the Briley website correctly, Chambermates were only to reduce 12 gauge guns to the various subgauges. I didn't see any 20 to 28 reductions except in full length tubes.
Please advise.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/12/12 05:26 PM
I have ultimate ultra light weight tubes and the shoot very well, as you know they are rifled and have long forceing cones. For the money the regular light weight tubes should work fine. I believe if it were mine I would just get the short tubes or even chambers. I see biginers shooting chambers at skeet and the 28 in a 12 works great at skeet. A 28 in a 20 should be even better.

bill
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/12/12 05:30 PM
And fairly pointless, if available.

You could always load 3/4 oz in a yellow shell...

But then, there I go again...
Posted By: Doverham Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/12/12 07:30 PM
How about having CSMC fit a set of 28 ga. barrels? Not cheap, but it would add a lot more to the overall value of the gun.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/13/12 12:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

You could always load 3/4 oz in a yellow shell...

B-I-N-G-O !
Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/13/12 12:32 AM
Subgauge tubes, even the short tubes, will noticeably affect handling. If you have a fairly flexible shooting style, can switch guns without a hitch, you might even find you like the added weight for range work.

As already noted, the truly economical alternative is a 3/4 oz 20. You can obtain factory loaded weenies, or load them yourself very easily. The disadvantage is ineligibility for 28 ga events.

Sam
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/13/12 01:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Doverham
How about having CSMC fit a set of 28 ga. barrels? Not cheap, but it would add a lot more to the overall value of the gun.

About $7500 for a second set of barrels from CSMC,
$700 for Briley sub-gauge tubes.
Loading down 3/4 oz. yellow "Weenies"... priceless.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/13/12 01:12 AM
I have a sporting clays gun, 29-1/2" barrels, and Briley tubes in three subgauges. They are the ultimate ultralight tubes.

When the tubes are in the gun balances like a pig on a snow shovel.

Fine for premount.

Best,

Mike

Posted By: yobyllib Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/13/12 01:26 AM
3/4 load in the yellow hull.
but if you must,try the briley sidekick subgage,they`ll add only about 4-5 ounces right at the hingepin.and you may get some barrel scrub which I like at skeet distances,but will filthy the bore.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/13/12 07:45 AM
Bob congratulations on the new gun. I am queer for light guns so don't ever leave that one alone with me. The Foxes are great guns and my friend Gary shows up with a CSMC 20 gauge at the Vintager shoot in Raton, NM. Wonderful well built guns. I think I can imagine how thrilled you are. I forgot to mention how much I think of the Foxes and how much I like your model when I posted about the Briley tubes.

I have a Philadelphia XE in 16 gauge but it is heavier than my ideal at 6 lbs 6 oz. But I still like it very much.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Bill Davis Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/13/12 12:48 PM
I'll add one more thought in this debate--you may find that Briley will not be able to put full length 28 bore tubes in your gun. I say that because your gun is bored tight--mod and full. There is just not enough bore diameter to accomplish the task and IF it is possible w/o altering the factory chokes--the 28 ga. tubes will be straight cylinder or skeet bore. You will not be able to have choke tubes in the 28 inserts. I love the 28 bore, but have to agree with the majority--enjoy this sweet gun as is.........
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/13/12 01:16 PM
Bob
Congratulations on a great gun. Im envious.

Me? I hate tubes. I've had a couple sets. My thought is that the 28ga is so close to the 20ga as to be not worth the bother and certainly would make that wonderful gun handle like Mikes snowshovel. Shoot the gun a lot and enjoy it for what it is
Regards
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/13/12 02:13 PM
Bob, thanks for keeping your sense of humor.

Friend of mine has tremendous success with this load:

Lead Shot 20 3/4 oz. Internat'l Win. 209 WAA20 12gr. 10,100 PSI 1150

In the WWAA hull.

He originally started using it to tame down an Ithaca Classic 20ga. skeet gun, but it's been his standard since.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/13/12 02:44 PM
Thanks to all. Cooler heads have prevailed.
This gun was a gift from the heavens. A trade where I realistically gave half of this guns' worth in the secondary market, a third of a new CSMC Fox so configured.
I'm a Skeet and Quail guy and will most likely open the chokes to suit my shooting.

S.G.Jones,
I saw that recipe on the Hodgdon site and also found another using 16gr. of Clays and a Remingtom wad for a 3/4 oz., 1150 fps, 6500 psi load.

I'm going to try both! Frequently.
Posted By: Tom Veith Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/14/12 02:06 AM
Bob,

Another option, if you're still interested, would be Gauge Mate gold chamber adapters. The gold version stays in the chambers, and uses the ejectors to extract the spent shells. I have the 16-20 version. They pattern very well, and mine only weigh 1.2 ounces for the pair. That weight between the hands will not affect balance of the gun. You can find them and order at www.gaugemate.com. I believe the cost is $169.99 plus shipping.

Otherwise, reloading as suggested above is your best option.

Good luck and have fun!

Tom
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Briley Tubes?? - 02/14/12 12:56 PM
Bob, with the recent appearance of the Claybuster 3/4 oz 20ga wad, there are all kinds of good, light recipes for the 20, piece of cake to reload. I use International. Works very well in either STS/Gun Club or AA hulls.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com