doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ghostrider Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/21/12 02:02 PM

I recently purchased a Field grade Ithaca 10 gauge magnum SXS. It will never be a collector but have always wanted one. At some point in its life someone I believe may have replaced the butt stock with a Monte Carlo type stock that has a huge amount of drop. I am hoping someone can point me in the direction of a replacement butt stock. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks Phil
Posted By: Researcher Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/21/12 04:10 PM
You may well have a very unusual "factory" stock, or it could be a replacement as you say. Ithaca made some wierd and wonderful stuff for their customers, such as Lon B. Smith's trap guns --

or the original Chas. Askins Magnum-Ten --

It would be great if you post some pictures of your gun. If you provide the complete serial number perhaps Walter Snyder can provide some information on the gun.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/21/12 04:36 PM
My gosh, Phil, post some pictures before trashing your stock. Researcher gave you some great information. Your stock may be factory. Or it may be a well made early custom stock worth saving.
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/22/12 02:21 AM
The S/N is 500210. I will get some pictures later tonight and post. I have always wanted one since about 1971. A friend came back from Vietnam as a paraplegic. He loved to hunt and bought a Ithaca. I would drive him around hunting ducks. We would go flying up the bank of some of the desert tanks, with him leaning out the window. He would cut loose getting off two shots and was able to shoot his fair number of ducks. Not exactly sportsman like, but it kept him in the game a little longer. Unfortunately when he passed I was not in a position to try and buy the gun which ended up in a pawn shop. This gun is a far cry from what he had, but will be a fine gun to shoot with a little work, you can never go back but it will satisfy a "need" I have had for awhile.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/22/12 02:44 AM
Instant pedigree. How about that! No mention of Monte-Carlo that usually cost a little more.
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/22/12 04:29 AM
Walter,

Thank you so much. Here are a few pictures.

Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/23/12 01:39 AM
Well guys any thought on this stock?
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/23/12 02:15 PM
I would have said yes, but now that I see those other crazy Ithaca stocks, I don't know.

The round-knob looks odd, and the checkering looks refreshed. But maybe the stock is right.

The guns does look pretty modified. Someone has been at it, so who knows what they did to it.

Did Ithaca mark their stocks under the triggerguards or buttplates/pads?

OWD
Posted By: camotrky Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/23/12 02:35 PM
If it fits you I woun't change it. Looks very useable.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/23/12 04:34 PM
That is interesting that 500210 is a "Star" version Field Grade. I owned 500167 for 16 years, 1985 to 2001, and it was the 1935 and later style Field Grade without cocking indicators and the border engraving?!?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/23/12 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Researcher
That is interesting that 500210 is a "Star" version Field Grade. I owned 500167 for 16 years, 1985 to 2001, and it was the 1935 and later style Field Grade without cocking indicators and the border engraving?!?

My "Star" version field grade 16ga has a serial number which "dates" to 1926. Go figure...Geo
Posted By: skeettx Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/23/12 06:42 PM
My non-mag 10 gauge (below 500000)

Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/23/12 08:15 PM
Mr. Carr,
My guess is a very good replacement. Reasons: no mention of either the M.C. or rounded pistol grip on the invoice, the frame has been blued. Someone did some work on the gun and likely restocked it. If factory, the sn should be stamped into the wood under the trigger guard tang. Enjoy your American classic!
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/23/12 08:34 PM
www.gunstocksinc.com has the 90% inletted for a nice price. You could save yours and make a new one. Paul
Posted By: eightbore Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/23/12 09:25 PM
I would not be replacing that stock if the gun belonged to me. It's a perfectly serviceable stock in an interesting design.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/23/12 11:08 PM
Looks like the triggers were bent forward. Probably to give the shooter a touch more LOP or to make them more comfortable with the stock drop.
I'd put those back to were they belong, put a stock on it with standard dimensions,,, might as well redo the metal & finishes too.
The tangs might be bent for the extreme drop. But putting those back isn't a problem if you're doing the metal up anyway.

Probably one of those 'not worth the investment' things but it's a neat gun and a nice project.
I could think of worse things to spend time on.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/23/12 11:35 PM
Good catch on the triggers, Kutter! One of those things that, once I was made aware of it, they stuck out like a neon sore thumb.
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/25/12 04:16 PM
Thanks for all of the information. Considering just how much I will really shoot the gun, I think I will leave it as is. It only has one issue which I must get fixed. The top lever is right of center but I believe the reason for this is the gun is not closing all of the way. I fired the gun with non-magnum loads, and all was fine. As soon as I loaded the magnum loads, the gun would come open upon firing. Any thoughts on what may be going on and who I might send it to would be much appreciated.

Thanks Phil
Posted By: eightbore Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/25/12 04:37 PM
Just from memory, I suggest that, after cleaning out all the related locking parts, that you completely dry those parts of grease and oil. The problem can require more attention, but I have heard that the drying of the parts sometimes does the job. I have not fired mine with magnum loads yet.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/25/12 08:05 PM
With the gun having been re-blued (frame),,it's been apart,,or at least he hope so! for the process.

Upon reassembling the NID and others with the same type set up like a Fox, it's strong bolt/top lever spring gives many some problems.
I've seen a few with a some-what weaker substitute bolt spring in place. I assumed to make re-assembly a more plesent job.

The guns will open up upon fireing if the bolt spring isn't up to specs. They will also do the same if the rotary bolt isn't closing properly onto it's rib extension cut.

Perhaps a replacement rotary bolt was dropped in when reassenbled to tighen 'er up and it made a nice 'lever to the right' situation and it looked good.
But isn't really locked securely and it shows itself with the bigboy loads.

Too many use the top lever as some sort of dial indicator arrow to read the lock up on doubles. It really has nothing to do with it.
Only a careful check and spotting in of the locking surfaces can really tell you how well it's engaged,, and how far along the wear is.
You have to feel and read the slop in the mechanism too. It allows lever movement after the bolt is secure.

If the lever was to the left, but the breech felt tight, most would be concerned.
Remove the lever and bent the tail slightly to the right to make it appear less wear was involved,,the same people feel fine about the lock up. It's done more often than most think.
A fine appearing lever to the right may be only catching the locking surface on the rib by a small amount. Appears all is well, shoots OK with field loads. But fails with Hi-Test loads.

Just a couple of possibles,,along with the plain old dirt, grease & crud in the mechanism suggested by 8bore.

If the frame & parts were hot-blued,,it is entirely possible that an incomplete flush of the blueing salts have left some inside there in the corners/edges.
Packed & hardened in there, it can interfer with the movement of the parts. Plus the stuff makes for rust as it absorbs moisture.

Plenty of things to look for..
Posted By: Researcher Re: Ithaca 10 gauge Magnum - 02/25/12 10:24 PM
In Elmer Keith's article "Long Shots and Far Away!" in the December 1965, Guns & Ammo, he states that his Magnum-Ten Ithaca, serial number 500,000, "It also started to open. I had a new bolt shipped from Ithaca and Fred Shaw fitted it perfectly."
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com