doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SamW An introduction - 03/10/12 03:06 PM
I just joined this forum and would like to take this opportunity to say hello. Daryl H put me on to this site and it looks to be full of great info...happy to see several old friends here as well.

I am a gun engraver doing work mostly on custom rifles and shotguns. For more indepth info you can go to this interview on Sam Alfano's Engravers Cafe forum.

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?1351-Cafe-Interview-with-Sam-Welch

Regards,

Sam
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: An introduction - 03/10/12 03:13 PM
Welcome to the Board, Sam. You will find a lot of knowledgeable members here who really know their fine guns.
Mike
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: An introduction - 03/10/12 03:14 PM
Welcome, Sam!

We've been drooling over the pictures of the Model 21 you engraved for Daryl several years ago. I'm sure you will see many familiar folks posting here, and some guns you will seldom get to see "hands on". Be sure you also check out the Custom Rifles threads below as you will find more folks with similar interests there as well as work by some of the "Old Masters".

Terry
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: An introduction - 03/10/12 03:32 PM
Welcome Sam!
Posted By: ed good Re: An introduction - 03/10/12 06:01 PM
sam: how did you get the 21 receiver soft enough to engrave it?

understand they are harder than glass.
Posted By: Weldon Lister Re: An introduction - 03/10/12 06:30 PM
Hi Sam,

Good to see you here! That 21 you did is as I would expect: especially nice!!

Weldon
Posted By: C. Kofoed Re: An introduction - 03/10/12 07:03 PM
Welcome, Sam, really great for you to join in and perhaps you can add something to the "flying turnip" discussion......

For those not familiar with the name, Sam is one of our best engravers (and one heck of a nice guy too).

Clair
Posted By: Salopian Re: An introduction - 03/10/12 07:09 PM
Sam,
Please do not say that you softened the 21 by torching it?????
We will all have to eat humble pie if that is true.
Welcome to the DG forum I hope you enjoy your visits.
Posted By: SamW Re: An introduction - 03/10/12 07:23 PM
Thanks Weldon and the rest of you. Weldon is one of our fine FEGA members and has quite the pedigree when it comes to engraving.

I did NOT anneal the M21 and they are very hard to engrave. I did about half a dozen of them for the USRAC custom shop in the late 80's to early 90's. The shop manager told me their specs called for Rockwell 42 to 46 or so and they tried to keep them about 42 so one could engrave them. Anything over about 37 starts to get difficult and the M21 is always difficult, taking as much as twice the time to engrave with much tool reshaping and sharpening not to mention an expanded vocabulary.

I am sure to enjoy this site very much as I am a side by fan, shooting an LC Smith 20 and Baker 16.

Thanks again for the welcome and Clair, your check is in the mail!
Posted By: PeteM Re: An introduction - 03/10/12 08:04 PM
Sam,

Welcome. We have several engravers who stop by. You do great work!

Pete
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: An introduction - 03/10/12 08:38 PM
Sam, would you please post a few pictures right here?
Posted By: C. Roger Bleile Re: An introduction - 03/11/12 01:19 AM
Welcome again Sam. This is a great place to visit!

Roger
Posted By: SamW Re: An introduction - 03/11/12 01:39 AM
Thanks Roger.I am sure Roger's latest book American Engravers-The 21st Century has been discussed on this site but if you don't have a copy I highly recommend it. Some 44 engravers and 360 or so pages of great color photography.

Joe, I don't have a web presence of photos from which to upload. I will have to work on that as it appears I cannot upload directly from my computer. Regards...
Posted By: SamW Re: An introduction - 03/11/12 01:02 PM

Figured it out...will add another.
Posted By: SamW Re: An introduction - 03/11/12 01:09 PM
Posted By: SamW Re: An introduction - 03/11/12 01:13 PM

I post this one for the very unusual gauge markings on the barrels.
Posted By: Craig Havener Re: An introduction - 03/11/12 01:29 PM
WOW!!!

Craig Havener
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: An introduction - 03/11/12 01:31 PM
Wow. Wow. And Wow.

Love that Parker. What does the other side look like?
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: An introduction - 03/11/12 10:07 PM
Beautiful! Who knew a Parker could be so pretty..... ;-)

Seriously though, that chucker looks like a photograph!
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: An introduction - 03/11/12 10:49 PM
Isn't the computer wonderful ? Except for fine books like Roger's, we would probably never get to experience the beautiful work of Mr. Lister and Mr. Welch. I wish more engravers would give a view of what they do. Really beautiful.
Posted By: SamW Re: An introduction - 03/12/12 12:15 AM
Dave, here is the other side. I will post the bottom next.
Posted By: SamW Re: An introduction - 03/12/12 12:23 AM
Posted By: SKB Re: An introduction - 03/12/12 12:40 AM
lovely!
Posted By: Mike A. Re: An introduction - 03/12/12 01:21 AM
Very welcome! I was particularly pleased to see a California Quail on one side of that Parker; don't see many in steel even now.

But a chukar....not sure I want those things immortalized thus....they're immortal enough all by their own selves! Only gamebird I know that actually laughs at its pursuers! But you got the rascal just right!
Posted By: C. Kofoed Re: An introduction - 03/14/12 11:24 PM
Very nice, Sam.

Could you elaborate on the 21? The top rib? Really like the top-lever spindle too.

C.
Posted By: SamW Re: An introduction - 03/15/12 12:17 AM
Hi Clair, the top rib was a floating vent rib installed after I returned it as best I know. This is the top of the M21 that Daryl H. posted, the one with the Winchester horse and rider, which was a gold inlay. I posted the top mainly for the 20/28 gauge markings on the barrels...rather rare as it is the only 21 ever made that way I was told.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com