doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lochlan Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/21/12 10:33 PM
[img]http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278466772[/img]

I just saw this on GB and had to post it. This could well be the ugliest double ever.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/21/12 10:47 PM
Quite
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 02:13 AM
Yep.... definitely the ugliest double...
Posted By: wburns Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 02:22 AM
I think its darn cool! Definatly not a fine gun, but pretty cool to see what someone in need could make at home.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 02:24 AM
Maybe this is an early effort by the same people that make the double barrel pistol http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/af-2011-a1-double-barrel-pistol#. The trigger arrangement is the same.
Steve
Posted By: Doverham Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 02:29 AM
I would be interested to see what the barrel regulation looks like.
Posted By: steve white Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 03:36 AM
I suspect it IS home made.
Posted By: Mike Bailey Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 08:22 AM
$105 minimum bid ?! I´d pay him double that to keep it if he threatened to leave it at my house wink best, Mike
Posted By: PM Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 08:27 AM
I guess this is a case where "rare" "seldom seen" "maybe one of a kind" does not translate into $$$$$$.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 11:33 AM
Being sold by a "Mattawoman" whatever that/she may be. Betcha she's even butt-uglier than this POS 'shootin' iron" at a C-note- pardon me while i go throw up. That's the problem with those half-%$$ed auction websites- they don't have a CRAP-filter!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 11:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Doverham
I would be interested to see what the barrel regulation looks like.

Not me.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 12:41 PM
If necessity is the mother of invention this gun is it. Has anyone inspected the photos of this thing at all? It appears the trigger guards are also the springs that power the hammers, it has secondary springs to insure the trigger seers lock up when the hammers are pulled back. The hinge for the barrels are held to the bottom of the barrels by screws threaded through the bottoms of the chambers (scary!). There's no photos of the extractors but I'll bet it doesn't have any, that's what the tool in the butt is for. Since the barrels were probably poached from another shotgun I imagine the regulation is probably okay, that is if you have the balls to even shoot the thing! Still as far as whoever built it, I have to give him credit for originality (LOL).
Steve
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 01:41 PM
Looks like a blacksmith wanted to be a gunsmith back on the farm.
Posted By: George L. Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 05:23 PM
The correct name for this beautiful piece of Polish workmanship translates into "WHY BOTHER, JUST THROW ROCKS"

George
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 05:31 PM
I have discussed this gun with my welder blacksmith, here in Mexico. We will be taking orders for these guns, shortly. Price is yet to be determined. Watch for more news...
Posted By: James M Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 05:57 PM
I think that even Cracker Barrel would pass on that one!!
Jim
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/22/12 08:02 PM
That thing would be worth a mint on Antiques Road Show....I thing they call that "Folk Art"!!! er sumpin!!!!
Posted By: ohiosam Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 01:50 AM
Good one for Ed to "restore".
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 02:06 AM
It definitely looks homemade. I can't speak for anywhere else, but growing up in Pennsylvania, there were any number of guys on the farm or in the mechanic's shops who, if they got a burr under their saddle, would have made one [like that] just to prove they could.

This gun probably worked just fine in the time when it was made, took a bunch of game, and kept foxes out of henhouses and daughters and their suitors separate. Or together, as the case might have been.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 02:07 AM
All the gunmaker's guild and all of FEGA's men couldn't make that thing pass for just ugly.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 02:56 AM
What an incredible piece of ingenuity! Seriously. Consider the time and the culture--it is priceless for what it represents. Appalachia? Trigger guards remind me of the jaws on the old Victor traps.......
Posted By: wburns Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 11:33 AM
I agree, Joe. I think they used trap jaws for the trigger gaurds.
Posted By: Ben Thayer Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 12:05 PM
Someone loved it once.
Posted By: ed good Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 12:51 PM
ah, gin u wine merican folk art...bet dey wood luv hit on da an ti qs road show...

act shuly, hits kinda cool an in gin u ous...

if you look closely at the third pitcher, you will see the makers name scratched into da wood...looks like:

b. scrotum

ah jes gotta hav hit!
Posted By: ed good Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 01:02 PM
fox: u gotta open yo mind an broa den yo whore rizins...

dat gon is so ugly, dat hits kinda pretty...sorta lik ah '53 vw.
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 03:18 PM
Super piece for an ethno museum.

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: Lochlan Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 03:44 PM
The simplistic design is pretty cool. The metal work is not at all bad. It just seems the original maker did not have a forge to have any parts cast. There are more ugly homemade guns in the Pennsylvania area than anywhere else. A few weeks back there was a breech loading conversion of a H Leman rifle on from that region. I am just amazed the seller was not trying to pawn it off as a confederate last ditch prototype.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 03:54 PM
Personally, I’m a bit distressed by some of the thoughtlessly negative remarks that the gun generated. It's so easy to be critical when you're looking down from that lofty tower and to forget, or not realize, that not everyone has the good life that you have. In my view, that gun meant some clever person, who couldn’t otherwise afford a shotgun, was able to patch one together to protect and feed his family. Yes it’s not “pretty”, but I doubt if the original owner had “pretty” on his mind when he built it. More likely he was concerned with feeding his family, a noble endeavor by anyone's standards.
Steve
Posted By: Stallones Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 04:11 PM
The man that made that had not heard " Life is too short to hunt with an Ugly Gun"
Posted By: GJZ Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/23/12 04:18 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to defend the gun's maker. It could be a Ruger.
Posted By: Mike Bailey Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/24/12 08:27 AM
I know what you are saying Steve, I for one couldn´t make it with just my hands and I suppose it served a purpose once, but I don´t think anyone here is being malicious, regards, Mike
Posted By: gunman Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/24/12 09:52 AM
Gents ,forget the hyperbole and the snide comments and actually look at the gun. For all that is wrong look at what is essentially right . The shape of the hammers and "lever" are good ,the triggers although crude are correctly shaped and canted .The way it has been made shows thought and skill in so much that it is put together neatly and with well fitted and evenly shaped parts. Someone has put a lot of time and effort into this .We should not write it off as a piece of junk .I would assume that it is home made ,by a very capable man of some considerable metal working ability, who has made it for himself possibly taking his design from pictures in a mail order catalogue . Rough as it may be and I certainly would not want to stand to close to it being shot, I for one, take my hat off to the "inventor".
Posted By: Roy Australia Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/24/12 10:56 AM
I think it is an awesome bit of history. If I saw this for $200AU I would be buying it.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/24/12 11:06 AM
I'm going through a tight money period or I'd bid on it. However, it's probably just as well, knowing me and my apparent "death wish" I'd load it up with a couple of Winchester AA Low recoil/low noise shells and shoot the thing eek.
Steve
Posted By: Roy Australia Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/24/12 11:07 AM
Why wouldnt you shoot it? Its probably been shot many times.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/24/12 11:10 AM
Looks hell for strong, short on beauty....
Posted By: ohiosam Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/24/12 11:37 AM
I don't think it looks all that strong. The standing breech is thin, the action bar is narrow(there is wood between the bar and lock plates)and the tang appears to be a separate piece. Then there are the screws into the barrels and the little catch to lock the barrels. Metallurgy and heat treating are questionable. I wonder if he made the barrels or if they were from another gun?

All that said to bad we don't know the story behind it and it's maker. The guy that made it I'm sure was an interesting character with no small amount of blacksmithing talent.
Posted By: keith Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/25/12 07:10 PM
None of the screw slots line up and it's obviously been refinished. That's just gonna kill the value.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/25/12 07:44 PM
No original casecolors. Oxides from a refinish would be obviously inferior to original oxides. That's a proven fact. Original is original. Better to leave well earned patina.
Posted By: steve voss Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/26/12 12:34 AM
That's a must have. Easy winner at the Annual Flatwater Open Ugliest Gun Contest. laugh
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Hillbilly & Holland double gun - 03/26/12 11:01 PM
Well I agree with Rockdoc, it is a marvel of ingenuity and demonstrates how you can make a shotgun by using trigger guard springs and leg-hold trap parts.
It's is not at all ugly to me but a good example of artisan craftmanship.
But Mr Voss is correct and I hope he buys it so we can see it at Flatwater!
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com