doublegunshop.com - home
Hi everyone. I'm not sure what to say other than I am extremely humbled by being asked to be profiled by Vic Venters in a forthcoming Shooting Sportsman "Gun Craft" column. Editor Ralph Stuart has asked Vic to review my book (I'm so excited and very honoured btw, I'm just a rookie author and this means so much to me and giving exposure to my book and thus my children’s fund) and write the column on me and a gun I restored.

I would REALLY like you guys to get involved too. Any questions you'd like to see addressed and so on. DGL forums are very important for me and all of you mean a great deal so I'd like you involved somehow.

My book store I hope, goes live, over the weekend!

Regards,
Tony
Outstanding, you deserve it Tony....

Cheers,
Tony is no mere rookie author but a real craftsman—and what lessons for life we can all learn by his character... I'm thrilled Ralph suggested the story and Tony agreed. We all hope this will give his book wider publicity and consequently deliver more money to the fund he's set up for his children's future.

After speaking with Tony, I think we'll focus on the Grant sidelock in the column, as that received the "Full Monty" restoration, and involved other craftsmen who have helped his development and deserve recognition. As an example, I also think that gun illustrates a lot of techniques and philosophies he's learned in a very short time. Plus, for goodness sake, it's a Grant!

Obviously the many participants on Dave Weber's site have been a huge part of Tony's story, and will be integral to it—credit where credit is due.

As Tony suggested (pleads) please post questions you'd like to see addressed, or PM Tony. Given space constraints we can't promise all will be addressed but they will all guide the shape of his story. Thanks y'all.
Wonderful news Tony and completely appropriate. I'm very happy and excited for you!
Steve
Great stuff, Tony, and good for you, congratulations!
Great news Tony, and you do deserve the recognition. God bless.
Makes me glad I renewed my subscription. Congratulations Tony. Couldn't happen to a better guy. Can't wait to read it.
Bravo Tony!
Maybe, just maybe, true recognition for a very talented,brave, and courageous man.
I have a question,
Where oh where do you get your enthusiasm and energy from for all these projects? As soon as one is coming to fruition, your off searching for another one.
Your a driven man and I am honoured to know you.
Fantastic news, I'm smiling from ear to ear! Don't sell yourself short, Tony, you're a true craftsman with great instincts, knowing just what to do and how much. An old gun that finds its way to your shop is a lucky gun indeed.

And your gun writing is right up there as well. You're clear and direct and don't waste a word getting to the heart of the matter.

This is genuinely the absolute best thing I've heard in quite awhile. Good on ya, mate!!
Tony,that's absolutely fantastic !!! and well deserved,I'm sure I speak for all of us in saying we're quite proud of you.

All the best,
Chris
Looking forward to the article in S.S.!
Fire up, Tony! That's great news. As far as questions for the article, I'd like to get a better feel for how you decide what to do (e.g. complete stock refinish vs. a "freshening") and in what order (i.e. barrels-->receiver-->stock or some other order) when starting with a gun. Also, when selecting projects what "challenges" are you willing to take on and which do you feel just don't make sense?

I'm looking forward to this!

Phil
Great questions, Philbert. Keep any questions coming; we'll speak with Tony this Sunday.
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
Fantastic news, I'm smiling from ear to ear! Don't sell yourself short, Tony, you're a true craftsman with great instincts, knowing just what to do and how much. An old gun that finds its way to your shop is a lucky gun indeed.

And your gun writing is right up there as well. You're clear and direct and don't waste a word getting to the heart of the matter.

This is genuinely the absolute best thing I've heard in quite awhile. Good on ya, mate!!

+1 - I couldn't have said it any better.
We refer on our shore to something really good of character or quality as "the finest kind." What's he like? "He's the finest kind." What kind of hunt was it? "The finest kind." Tony, you're the finest kind in every way.
You guys are really making me quite emotional reading this stuff. I mean it..in a nice way...
Great news and a well earned and very smart move by SS. I do have several question I would like to see answered.

What is your most interesting gun you have restored? What was the worst one? Is there one more make or type of gun you wish you could find still and restore? Do you get a sense of the history of these old guns while you are working on them? Ever think about the men who made the locks, stock and barrels over a hundred years ago? Have you wondered where these guns will end up in the next hundred years? I do when I work on mine or hold them.

Have you left any tells behind? A tell could be a pencil written line that this guns was restored by Tony Treadwell March 23, 2012, hidden someplace on the gun. Or it could be a paper message left under a recoil pad. Even just your initials stamped in the wood in a hidden place.

I found a hunting permit that dated to the early 50's under a pad. Have not been able to find the hunter but someday I hope to track down his family or better yet the hunter. Found a roll of dimes that was put in the stock as a weight and maybe as a place to hide a few bucks of silver coins. Sad to say none were rare or extremely valuable coins but much nicer find than a wad of shot.
Congratulations Tony. I'm anxious to get my hands on the S.S. article.

You deserve every accolade you've received on this board and elsewhere, to include the article written on your excellent restoration work.
Awesome stuff! I hope to get it in Aus as well!
Knowing this crowd, you surely know they wouldn't be saying it if it wasn't true.
Hi Tony,

Most has been said, but I don't think I am being redundant by saying again you certainly deserve it!

Best,

JC
It's very kind of you. Please do ask questions here though. I have my interview with Vic tonight!
Cheers
T
Tony / Vic,
What aspect of gun restoration have you found the most challenging, and would you caution the enthusiastic amateur against doing?
Originally Posted By: King Brown
We refer on our shore to something really good of character or quality as "the finest kind." What's he like? "He's the finest kind." What kind of hunt was it? "The finest kind." Tony, you're the finest kind in every way.

I have a friend who says this, and I always wondered where he got it. I'm going to have to ask if he's spent time in your part of the world King. Thanks for the insight.
I would have been honoured to share a workshop with Tony T.He reminds me of most of my "contemporary's" when I was learning to stock & build PURDEY GUNS & DB RIFLES back in the 1950s. Some of Harry Lawrence's"10" (He used the "10" at a "City of London Livery Company Dinner that H.R.H.Prince Phillip was the Guest'..some of the 10' have"Left the workshop".Peter Nelson had a good artical in a recent SSM.So I know he is still standing "Upright", Tony would have been considered"One of us." He is made of The right Stuff for this trade! Tony, what the heck does your Wife make you for breakfast that puts you into"High work mode"?? You are an amazing person.I am looking forward to reading Vics artical in SSM. Are you "Signing your "Book"? McIntosh & I gave up signing our Shotgun Technicana, I had a Book-Plate printed,cost a lot less to send that, than packing and posting books!! (close to 2000)I hope you have the "Biggest sale of your book since Greeners'The GUN' All best wishes from the "Cluttered bench" C/C trevallion.

Jon's questions and comments are great!

This interview could lead into an entire SS series, as there are craftsman on both sides of the pond that are more than due their moment in the spotlight. Look how many times those of us around here ask for "who's a great engraver/stocker/barrel man/etc.

I love the idea of the 'tell'. When I was almost finished building my house, I put a proof coin set and a letter in the wall. I hope some day, many years from now, the new owners - renovating the house and making it their own - find it.

The idea of thier history and future appeals to me too. I often think of my guns' history as I hunt. Of course you never know, but I'm pretty sure I will be the first to introduce my "new" Purdey to Western quail (mountain/valley/mearnes/etc) this year, even though she's 139 years old. I wonder how many woodcock/grouse/pheasant she's taken in the mother country and even why she was sold.

I would also like to know what makes something stand out at the auction. What makes you say "I can save that" vs looking at something and saying "Not worth the bother"

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Great news and a well earned and very smart move by SS. I do have several question I would like to see answered.

What is your most interesting gun you have restored? What was the worst one? Is there one more make or type of gun you wish you could find still and restore? Do you get a sense of the history of these old guns while you are working on them? Ever think about the men who made the locks, stock and barrels over a hundred years ago? Have you wondered where these guns will end up in the next hundred years? I do when I work on mine or hold them.

Have you left any tells behind? A tell could be a pencil written line that this guns was restored by Tony Treadwell March 23, 2012, hidden someplace on the gun. Or it could be a paper message left under a recoil pad. Even just your initials stamped in the wood in a hidden place.

I found a hunting permit that dated to the early 50's under a pad. Have not been able to find the hunter but someday I hope to track down his family or better yet the hunter. Found a roll of dimes that was put in the stock as a weight and maybe as a place to hide a few bucks of silver coins. Sad to say none were rare or extremely valuable coins but much nicer find than a wad of shot.

To talk about tells ... I have in safekeeping an old large cent, dated 1838 and in sharp brand-new (other than being brown from age) condition. It was a tell, placed by the builder under the king beam of my grandparents' farmhouse floor. When they were replacing it in the early 60s after the beam cracked, it fell out and they heard it drop. My grandfather gave it to my dad saying "here's your pay".

So, they do get found. Nice you put a note alongside....

Here's to Tony, and to hoping he can spend many more years putting tells on old guns he fixes up.

What I would like to know is what got Tony into fixing up old guns - was it the interest in fixing up old things and a liking for shotguns, or was it a desire for them and a budgetary impulse?
Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
... I have in safekeeping an old large cent, dated 1838 and in sharp brand-new (other than being brown from age) condition....My grandfather gave it to my dad saying "here's your pay".

Very cool. Depending on true condition, may have even been a fair amount of pay for the work completed, although your dad probably didn't see it as such at the time. ;-)

I'd also be interested to know how Marie felt about this whole new hobby, from the use of the kitchen table to the new hardware in the garden required for all portions of the restoration. I'm single, so I do whatever I want, but many I know are not - and "support" of hobbies from a Significant Other ranges from 'tolerance' and eye-rolling, to some level of participation - especially where the kitchen table is concerned. smile
Hi guys, here are my replies! Vic and I have spoken this evening and we've tried to cover some of your questions. However I would like to reply to everyone here so here goes! In order from the top. smile

Salopian

Q: Where oh where do you get your enthusiasm and energy from for all these projects? As soon as one is coming to fruition, you’re off searching for another one.
A: I am just so passionate about vintage shotguns. It really is something I can't explain very well. I guess I use it more recently as a therapy too. Along with the family it's me. Really if I'm not racing around keeping active I'll go and sit in a corner and we can't be having any of that!

Philbert

Q: As far as questions for the article, I'd like to get a better feel for how you decide what to do (e.g. complete stock refinish vs. a "freshening") and in what order (i.e. barrels-->receiver-->stock or some other order) when starting with a gun. Also, when selecting projects what "challenges" are you willing to take on and which do you feel just don't make sense?
A: Philbert, really good question. If I'm honest my first was a Harrison and Hussey and I did a few things wrong. Made the metal way to buffed and a few other things. A very short time later I realised it was not quite right! Now, I look at a gun and decide. The biggest decision is whenever to colour case harden. Many do not like this process I know but sometimes a gun really does need it. The Grant number 2 needed it and looks great now I think. It had black pits around some of the edges and I had the plates professionally laser welded by the best guy in the UK. Many of the gunmakers and gunsmiths use him. What to do? Well I now evaluate..I usually do like to black furniture and blue pins because I try to get guns back to near how I "believe" they might have been when first produced. That's probably where I annoy the purists a little..I like to try and get me back to how they might have been handed over...but it's subjective I guess.

KY Jon
Q: What is your most interesting gun you have restored? What was the worst one?
A:Well I really liked the George Gibbs because it came with paperwork and all sorts. Importantly my wife now shoots with it and is really becoming quite a special shot. The Grant 2 was also a favourite because it took every skill to do it. The worst I suppose was the Clarke...because I was so pleased with it and then it split 6 shots in. Sad.

Q:Is there one more make or type of gun you wish you could find still and restore?
A:Hmm good question. I'm really looking forward to the Purdey bar-in-wood coming back. Must chase my stocker! I'd like to try and find a Boss, Atkin or something.

Q: Do you get a sense of the history of these old guns while you are working on them? Ever think about the men who made the locks, stock and barrels over a hundred years ago?
A:I do all the time and this was discussed with Vic. I wonder at how these guys did it. I mean crafting an action by hand from a steel block? All working under sunlight!

Q: Have you wondered where these guns will end up in the next hundred years? I do when I work on mine or hold them.
A: I do. I hope they stay in my family.

Q: Have you left any tells behind? A tell could be a pencil written line that this guns was restored by Tony Treadwell March 23, 2012, hidden someplace on the gun. Or it could be a paper message left under a recoil pad. Even just your initials stamped in the wood in a hidden place.
A: This came up with Vic too. I didn't really. I mean where do you leave something? Behind a lock? wink

Salopian
Q: What aspect of gun restoration have you found the most challenging, and would you caution the enthusiastic amateur against doing?
A: Colour Case Hardening for sure. I did MONTHS of research and several actions I didn't mind ruining..luckily by keeping to strict process and temperatures I've not had a single warp/movement issue. But that is the process I would warn very much against going into light heartedly. Hot blacking is also something that one needs to be careful about re the process itself and the vapour that the boiling can produce.

HammerGuy
Q: I would also like to know what makes something stand out at the auction. What makes you say "I can save that" vs looking at something and saying "Not worth the bother"
A: I'm a bit rubbish at auctions. I tend to love a gun that I should avoid. The little Manton might be a case in point. But actually if it fails proof or Ed Caine my barrel man thinks it won't go through proof. Then I'll probably sleeve it. I try to be really strong on what I'm prepared to pay now. I used to go over what I had set and I believe that is a mistake at auctions. The Greener I outbid Dig on last year was something I really wanted (bugger bid me up though /wink Dig) but I still got it for what I wanted. It's sold now.

Dave in Maine
Q: What I would like to know is what got Tony into fixing up old guns - was it the interest in fixing up old things and a liking for shotguns, or was it a desire for them and a budgetary impulse?
A: Good question! My uncle was a well known gamekeeper in a little village called Longparish in Hampshire. I learnt to shoot there when I was 13. My cousin now runs Bisley shooting school (John Heagren) one of the best shots I've ever seen and has one Berretta and FITASC world champs in the past. So I've been really lucky. I then just came back to it at 41! Got the bug and the rest is history. I did SO much research and met so many people at Price street, just really made a nuisance of myself. Helping recover the gun quarter debacle got me great trade prices /wink. But seriously it's been a blast so far and I just love doing these guns up.

HammerGuy
Q:I'd also be interested to know how Marie felt about this whole new hobby, from the use of the kitchen table to the new hardware in the garden required for all portions of the restoration. I'm single, so I do whatever I want, but many I know are not - and "support" of hobbies from a Significant Other ranges from 'tolerance' and eye-rolling, to some level of participation - especially where the kitchen table is concerned.

A: She's amazing. I mean a one off. I love her so much because she just says "let him get on with it" I seriously don't believe I could have found such a wonderful partner. I'm so bad. I try and keep things tidy and clean but in the winter tend to spread into the dining room and back out again in spring. She's so cool with it but just doesn't understand where her normally impatient husband gets all the patience from when taking months to restore a gun. smile

I hope I've been copious enough with my answers. You sure do deserver proper answers. Please sling more questions.

Regards,
Tony

Thanks, Tony.

I'm really looking forward to the article!

Phil
You are a really sweet man Tony.
Cheers n good on yer
Franc
Tony,

I'm inspired in many ways reading each of your posts and very much look forward to th SSM-Venters article and your ebook. Reading this forum is actually one of my morning rituals and what you share so regularly and openly goes far beyond a collective passion for doubles old an new - there always seems to be a good dose of equally important things in life and how to live it. I recall bits and pieces of your posts throughout the day perhaps because you remind me of a friend I had long ago who was as passionate, giving, and respected by everyone he encountered. You seem to have the same gift and can only imagine that we just get to see the tip of the iceberg from behind our monitors...

All best wishes,

jmc
Hi jmc. I'm not sure what to say! It's quite difficult to express what people here mean to me. I take a lot of comfort, encouragement and it makes me fight harder. It really is that important to me. It's part of my getting up and having a coffee and reading here and contributing and just getting wonderful feedback.

Thank you.
R
I'm not sure when the article is going to be posted but given the time lag of these things I guess June/July. I will be fighting to see it myself very hard of course!
T
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com