doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Small Bore Turkey - 03/27/12 05:54 PM
Well chaps, I'm here in Texas and have taken a break from Houston to get out here into the sticks and am about to go turkey hunting. I have a very nice little .22 Savage high-power boxlock ejector double rifle by George Gibbs to do the deed with. Built in the 1930s and mint. Looking forward to calling them in.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Turkey - 03/27/12 06:41 PM
That's the way! Always wondered why turkeys were taken with cascades of shot, couldn't see the sport in it. Calling, using fieldcraft, bringing them in must be exciting but watching them disappear in a cluster of dust---please god, not for me.
Posted By: steve voss Re: Turkey - 03/27/12 06:41 PM
Pictures!!!
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Turkey - 03/27/12 07:33 PM
The powers that be do not allow rifle hunting for turkeys in my state.....dumb schitz!!!
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Turkey - 03/27/12 07:54 PM
I'll post photos of success, should I be blessed with it. Otherwise, they would be rather dull.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Turkey - 03/27/12 08:20 PM
SB,
Do you happen to be in the states for the Wannemacher Show in Tulsa this weekend??
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Turkey - 03/27/12 08:24 PM
Ken,

No, I'm here working on the new gun room at the store in Richmond Texas.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Turkey - 03/27/12 08:44 PM
King, as an avid turkey hunter I can tell you a 20 lb bird doesn't "disappear in a cluster of dust", regardless of what legal shotgun you are using. I highly recommend it. Tons of fun.

Originally Posted By: King Brown
That's the way! Always wondered why turkeys were taken with cascades of shot, couldn't see the sport in it. Calling, using fieldcraft, bringing them in must be exciting but watching them disappear in a cluster of dust---please god, not for me.

Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: Turkey - 03/28/12 12:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Small Bore
Well chaps, I'm here in Texas and have taken a break from Houston to get out here into the sticks and am about to go turkey hunting. I have a very nice little .22 Savage high-power boxlock ejector double rifle by George Gibbs to do the deed with. Built in the 1930s and mint. Looking forward to calling them in.

Just be careful not to shoot an Eastern, if chasing 'em here in Texas, Dig.

http://www.etypeservices.com/SWF/LocalUs...3594#/57/zoomed
Posted By: Cameron Re: Turkey - 03/28/12 01:00 AM
I've often wondered what it would be like to bag a turkey with a rifle, but not legal here either. Of course, a huge part of the fun during the spring season is calling them within 20-30 yards, or closer.

If I used a centerfire cartridge and one hung up at 50-70 yards, I'd more than likely be slinging some lead downrange at it. Not quite as fun, I imagine as up close and personal.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Turkey - 03/28/12 01:07 AM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
King, as an avid turkey hunter I can tell you a 20 lb bird doesn't "disappear in a cluster of dust", regardless of what legal shotgun you are using. I highly recommend it. Tons of fun.

-- In MI only shotguns 10 through 20 gauge with No.4 to 7 & 1/2 shot size are legal. You can use coppered loads, so far the PETA A-holers haven't tried to get non-toxic mandatory as they have for snipes, dove, woodcocks, etc elsewhere. But a fellow high velocity accuracy up-da-ying-yang woodchuck "duster" tried this with his custom .22-250 Leupold scoped "dinger"- the same combo that has decimated prairie dog villages out in SD-- he went to a commercial turkey farm and bought a big domestic Tom- had it leg tied, took it out to a 200 yard marked range, had it well anchored, and drilled it right in the chest with a Hornady Moly-Tipped handload-- Holy Schmidt- that bird "exploded"- feathers, bone, guts and poop in a 360 degree spread- spectacular indeed- the bird died like it was hit by lightning-- now extrapolate that to maybe 75 yards instead of 200-- Mama Mia!!
Posted By: ohiosam Re: Turkey - 03/28/12 01:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Originally Posted By: canvasback

-- In MI only shotguns 10 through 20 gauge with No.4 to 7 & 1/2 shot size are legal. You can use coppered loads, so far the PETA A-holers haven't tried to get non-toxic mandatory as they have for snipes, dove, woodcocks, etc elsewhere. But a fellow high velocity accuracy up-da-ying-yang woodchuck "duster" tried this with his custom .22-250 Leupold scoped "dinger"- the same combo that has decimated prairie dog villages out in SD-- he went to a commercial turkey farm and bought a big domestic Tom- had it leg tied, took it out to a 200 yard marked range, had it well anchored, and drilled it right in the chest with a Hornady Moly-Tipped handload-- Holy Schmidt- that bird "exploded"- feathers, bone, guts and poop in a 360 degree spread- spectacular indeed- the bird died like it was hit by lightning-- now extrapolate that to maybe 75 yards instead of 200-- Mama Mia!!

If he was any kind of rifleman he would have taken a head shot.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Turkey - 03/28/12 02:16 AM
Some strange people do it not for the sport or skill but are enthralled by the mere killing and the carnage they wreak and give us all a bad name. If you want to see something explode at the impact of a tiny missile I suggest you shoot at pumpkins, gallon jugs of water or if you must see blood amd meat flying... go buy a big roast and shoot it for heaven's sake... grow up!
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Turkey - 03/28/12 03:12 AM
Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
Some strange people do it not for the sport or skill but are enthralled by the mere killing and the carnage they wreak and give us all a bad name. If you want to see something explode at the impact of a tiny missile I suggest you shoot at pumpkins, gallon jugs of water or if you must see blood amd meat flying... go buy a big roast and shoot it for heaven's sake... grow up!

+1. That is one of the more disturbing and least humane things I've read in quite a while.
Posted By: LGF Re: Turkey - 03/28/12 06:54 AM
What's the difference between exploding a tethered turkey and exploding thousands of prairie dogs? The eradication of prairie dog towns eliminated one of the major ecosystems of the plains and a host of species that depended on them. I have mixed feelings about shooting pen-raised pheasants, but I know how I feel about using wild animals as bulls eyes.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Turkey - 03/28/12 12:03 PM
Hey, ease up gang. I didn't buy a domestic turkey and blast it ( a la Jim Rikkoff) with a .22-250 steppin out at almost 4000 fps. muzzle. MY WACKO BUDDY DID-- HE WOULD RATHER BLOW UP PRAIRIE DAWGS THAN HUNT DEER OR TURKEY- FOR DEER HE USES A Win 30-30 170 grainer Silvertip, and for turkey, as he is a legit hunter, he uses a Ithaca Mag-10 and shoots for the neck- at 60 yards or less, dead bird- The main reason we cannot use a CF rifle of any calibre for Turkeys here in MI is safety- we also have 'numbnutz" who pepper the hen K-Mart plastic foolies- related to the same idiots that spray your duck decoys in front of your blind each Fall- It was his money and his experiment- Not Mine- and he could have easily taken a head shot, I've shot woodchucks and prairie doggies with him for years- and a 300 yard shot between the "running lights" of a SD prairie dog is a "piece of cake"--
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Turkey - 03/28/12 12:29 PM
Where rifles are legal, seems like it'd be fun to do with some of the older light calibers, like maybe a .25-20.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Turkey - 03/28/12 12:55 PM
That's absolutely sickening, tying up a live turkey and blowing it up for a cheap thrill. This guy is wrong in the head. You keep dubious company RWTF.
Mike
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Turkey - 03/28/12 01:01 PM
The company here that imports Swedish guns by the carload has a light single shot bolt rifle in 32-20. Larry, I think that would be a good turkey gun.
Lat year a Quebec hunter was shot and killed by an [censored] in a truck shooting at duck decoys, with a rifle, thinking they were real ducks, the hunter was shot in the head.Lovely!
Mike
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Turkey - 03/30/12 03:43 PM

A Great Hunt

Shot my first turkey yesterday!
Scared the shXt
out of everyone
in the frozen food section.
It was awesome!
Gettin' old is so much fun...Geo

Posted By: GLS Re: Turkey - 03/31/12 12:09 AM
A .22 Hornet Model 70 Winchester is the classic turkey rifle.
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Turkey - 03/31/12 05:34 PM
I got my gobbler! Called him in to 35 yards and dropped him with a shot through a gap in the brush, from my hiding place under an oak tree, all cammo'd up like a redneck shopping in Cabela's. The little George Gibbs double rifle was spot on.

He's in the sink now and we'll eat him tonight!
Posted By: GLS Re: Turkey - 03/31/12 05:46 PM
Nice job, Dig. Did he gobble much before you called him in? What type of call did you use? Gil
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Turkey - 03/31/12 06:43 PM
Here are some photos: http://linktosite.co.uk/news/news-march

I use Lynch's Foolproof caller. He gobbled like a... well you get it. He gobbled a lot! Came in fast - obviously fancied my decoy hens.
Posted By: GLS Re: Turkey - 03/31/12 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Small Bore
all cammo'd up like a redneck shopping in Cabela's.

After viewing the photo, I'd say you look more like an Englishman poorly disquised as a redneck with the dead giveaway the Gibbs. That is no redneck's gun. wink
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Turkey - 03/31/12 08:43 PM
Good job, Dig. Looks like at least a twenty pound bird.

SRH
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Turkey - 03/31/12 09:53 PM
Yeah, OK, that's a well-sized turkey, you did very well. Who talked you into the duds, or did you feel obligated to do the "when in Rome" act?

Now to the heart of the matter. Pictures, beautiful pictures in a vast array of photographic know-how, pictures, pictures of that Gibbs please!
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Turkey - 03/31/12 10:27 PM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150640622683093.392922.595918092&type=1

I have some photos of the Gibbs here
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Turkey - 04/01/12 12:48 AM
Nice turkey....don't let the ease of killing them in Texas give you the wrong impression of our turkeys.
Posted By: Cameron Re: Turkey - 04/01/12 01:19 AM
Nice bird! What species Rio Grande, Eastern?

"all cammo'd up like a redneck shopping in Cabela's"

A whole lot of truth to that statement here in N ID-Cabelas, Walmart, grocery store, shopping mall with the wife, etc. Iron the duds to refresh the leg crease and smooth out the wrinkles and you have a passable N. ID tuxedo!
Posted By: lagopus Re: Turkey - 04/01/12 10:31 AM
Turkeys could be what Rook Rifles were made for! Lagopus.....
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Turkey - 04/04/12 12:32 PM
Rifles are illegal for turkey hunting in most all US states.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Turkey - 04/04/12 01:53 PM
I haven't checked the laws here in Pennsylvania lately, but you could hunt turkeys with a rifle in the fall season when you can take either sex.
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Turkey - 04/04/12 04:00 PM
I use a .22 High Power when hunting turkeys in the fall when it's legal to do so with a rifle. Alas, its not a classy little double, but rather a vintage Savage 1899, and loaded with 70 grain cast bullets at a skosh over .22MRF velocities. Very little meat damage.

Spring gobblers must face my Smith Longrange Gun.
Posted By: DWS Re: Turkey - 04/04/12 08:32 PM

I intended to take last weekend's south Texas gobbler with my tang sighted 25-20 WCF low wall. Instead, a friend and I began the ball with me in the calling and backup position, scoped 22 Hornet in my lap in case of needing to take a cleanup shot. After my first couple of hen yelps, four gobblers rushed in, ignoring the deke's and looking straight at me! They turned and wandered off. I called them back, and they strutted right by me at 20 yards offering a clean heart shot on the second tom. We later sweet-talked in a second pair, one of which which fell to my buddy's 22 Magnum.

I love my shotguns but I really like calling turkeys in close and taking them with a small bore rifle!
Posted By: GaryW Re: Turkey - 04/05/12 01:54 AM
Supposedly the .22 Hornet evolved from experiments made at Springfield Armory in the 1920's with Winchester producing ammunition in 1930 even though no commercial rifles were produced in .22 Hornet caliber until 1932! Popular as an early varmint (woodchuck)caliber,I wonder if those old experimenters had any idea they were producing the finest turkey cartridge this Texas boy has ever used.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com