doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Shane T 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/10/12 05:27 PM
Hi guys. A while back I came into this percussion double gun. It is not signed and has no mark that I can find. I was hoping that some of the infinitely more learned here might recognize a particular makers handiwork or be able to add to the story of this gun.

It seems to be in really good shape and a really nice gun Gold inlays, everything works, nothing is missing or broken, original (or very very old replacement) ramrod, the bores are even shiny. At some point the stock was broken completely through the wrist and repaired. At that time the stock was refinished and the checkering freshened. Also, the right hammer has had the ear break off and had a less than elegant repair done. I think I may address that at some point. Of course, I doubt the quail will care much but it bugs me. The only things I've done so far are replace the damaged nipples and make a replacement ramrod for it to avoid using the original.

[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f213/s...le/IMG_1173.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/10/12 05:59 PM
Shane,
What a lovely old percussion SXS! If you want to learn more you'll probably need to show clear pictures of the undersides of the barrels where the proofmarks and inspectors stamps are typically found. In addition there's often telltale information stamped on the inside of the locks, better post photos of them too.
I almost forgot, the wood has some wonderful figure and is beautiful.
Steve
Posted By: lagopus Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/10/12 07:01 PM
A quality piece. Nice to see that fluted barrels are nothing new! Lagopus.....
Posted By: Shane T Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/10/12 09:11 PM
Thanks guys.

The last picture is the proofs and underside of the breech area. For some reason it will just NOT display in the original post. Weird. What's left of them is quite clear. Some of the markings have been worn smooth fron the ramrod over the years. Which in a way is a nice indication that this gun has seen its share of the field and was not the 19th century equivalent of a safe queen.

I didn't take pictures of the inside of the locks as I did not notice any markings. That said, I wasn't on the look out for any. I will be certain to take a look tonight

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/10/12 10:12 PM
That may be the 'LD' of Lambert Dumoulin
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20den/a%20dumoulin%20lambert%20gb.htm
The barrels look to be Laminated Steel
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/10/12 11:07 PM
Me thinks Dr. Hause is on to something. Seems to be pre-1877. There is a mechanic's name as well as the word "Liege" higher up close to the rib.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: PeteM Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 01:12 AM
Well there is problem with that pre-1877 dating. LD was not registered until 1920 as a trademark.

There was a period where many muzzle loaders were being produced for the Congo trade. This one is much too nice for that, however. It looks more like a presentation piece to me.

Pete
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 01:32 AM
Oh Peter, you come along and wreck the whole party. I've seen several Belgian longarms in the Congo. But I can tell you they've moved on from the muzzle-loaders.

Um, a 1st stab at the name is E./F. Screreas?

Don't know of any mechanic with that name so how about Francois Schepers as both mechanics have 8 letters:

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20s/a%20schepers%20gb.htm

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Shane T Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 01:41 AM
You guys ROCK!

Now, looking closer it is clearly Schepers. The orientationn of the "Leige" mark in relation to the name is the same. Even the way the bottom half of the name has worn off to the exact same point in the letters.

Thanks a Bunch. I knew that bunch of unsigned guns got turned out in that time period by various people making abuck. However this seemed to be of much higher quality than I would expect from a gun like that. I thought it was very odd that this grade of gun would not be signed.

I, obviously, had seen those markings before but for some reason it never occurred to me that it would be the maker. I was looking on the locks, ribs and tang.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 01:45 AM
Forgot to note the lovely, just lovely serpent style hammers. M-4 just might fancy those.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Shane T Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 01:55 AM
Thanks again. I feel that I really lucked out with finding this girl. And was able to get ahold of her for a good good price too.

While we're on it. Would the non gold inlays for Belgium in this time period be silver or platinum?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 02:10 AM
I think it would depend on the level of adornment and I would like to think it was platinum. But platinum is harder that hammered He!! with the melting point quite high, being about double that of silver.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Shane T Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 02:23 AM
I was thinking that too. But, realizing that it was often used in vents. I figured I should ask.

This is the only one I have seen with double octagonal to round barrels, with or without flutes. It makes for a gun a bit on the heavy side. I was thinking it may have been specifically for firing heavier loads to reach out/up to higher flying geese and such.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 02:29 AM
Probably side tube reinforcement that distracts the eye via adornment. Put it to work. Load it up and top it off with some #2 Bismuth and not much will escape you. There's a blast to shoot, after you become accustom to the slight delay, & even more astounding while watching.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Shane T Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 02:34 AM
Oh I have. I got proper humiliated by some woodies last year and stood up by Geese. This year I'll gettem!

Going to get going on the patterning soon. I've been playing around making up some shot/wad/card/cup cartridges like the Eley patent cartridges. I hope to be able to develop good load recipes using them. Only way I'll be able to keep up with my modern shooting buddies chasing quail.

Also need to work out that shoot, take a step to the side to see around the smoke, shoot again dance. lol
Posted By: PeteM Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 11:56 AM
Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Oh Peter, you come along and wreck the whole party. I've seen several Belgian longarms in the Congo. But I can tell you they've moved on from the muzzle-loaders.

Um, a 1st stab at the name is E./F. Screreas?

Don't know of any mechanic with that name so how about Francois Schepers as both mechanics have 8 letters:

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20s/a%20schepers%20gb.htm

Here is a batch ready for export from the 1930's. No one claimed this trade is going on.

Schepers was around during the muzzle loader period. He held 6 patents for improving a muzzle loader.

I still maintain that this was a presentation piece. While not on the par with a gun made for royalty, it is well above the common.

Peter
Posted By: tunes Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 01:45 PM

While not nearly as nice as Shane's gun, I have a 14ga with similar barrels. The gun is much plainer without all the fine engraving and checkering.

tunes

Posted By: Shane T Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 02:25 PM
That is very similar.

I like the way the worm is set up and held on. Is it threaded on or ??????
Posted By: tunes Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 03:50 PM
It's threaded on, just unscrew it and reverse to use.
Posted By: Shane T Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 05:00 PM
Nice. I'm going to have to make something similar for mine. I hate having to carry a separate worm.
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/11/12 11:00 PM
Shane, can't believe I didn't see this thread yesterday. As a ml'er shotgun enthusiast I just have to comment. That is one nice gun! I did see the repair in the wrist and it appears to have been done very well. You did very well to find that gun!
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/21/12 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: PeteM

Here is a batch ready for export from the 1930's. No one claimed this trade is going on.

Peter

Peter, I read something recently that circa 1900 was the time of the startup(restart) of the manufacture of flintlocks for the Congo(Kongo/Angola). Seems that the trade was veiled by referring to the location as French held colonies in West Africa. Also noted was the loud colours.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: PeteM Re: 12Bore Belgian(?) Percussion Double - 04/21/12 10:28 PM
Raimey,

It was veiled for good reason. Not a shining moment.

Today, the Royal Arms Museum has an exhibit praising the native troops in the Congo.

Pete
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com