doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 6878mm CCH - 05/28/12 10:12 PM
Can anybody reccomend a firm in the US that does CCH
I had a good firm, but I have lost the adress
Cheers
Posted By: tut Re: CCH - 05/28/12 11:05 PM
Seems like the gold standard is Turnbull. Other folks certainly do a nice job as well. What type of gun are we speaking of, because some seem to do better on some colors then others.
Posted By: DrBob Re: CCH - 05/29/12 12:33 AM
I have used Doug Turnbull and John Gillette at Classic Guns http://www.classicgunsinc.com/
both with excellent results. John is a little bit more reasonable in price. Doug is probably a little better in matching very old classics.
Posted By: Pre-13 LC Coll Re: CCH - 05/29/12 05:29 AM
John Gillette does excellent work, his turn around time is much shorter and his prices are lower than Turnbull. Not knocking Turnbull, he does great work as well.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: CCH - 05/29/12 01:25 PM
What kind of gun is it?
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: CCH - 05/29/12 03:10 PM
Malcolm Clark of Clark Custom Gunsmithing in CT does an okay job of CCH. He doesn't do a good job with springs, however. He has had my Boss for a year. A Lang I had CCH was back to me in under 45 days.
Posted By: Hussey Re: CCH - 05/29/12 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
What kind of gun is it?

That's an important question because not all processes were the same and not all smiths use all processes.

For Parker-type colors I recommend Brad Bachelder in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Beautiful work, less expensive and much quicker turn around than most other competent smiths.
Posted By: 6878mm Re: CCH - 05/30/12 02:45 AM
It`s a Cashmore hammer gun
How do I get in touch with John Gillete
Posted By: PeteM Re: CCH - 05/30/12 03:55 AM
Here is his website:
http://www.classicgunsinc.com/aboutus.htm

I have had John do work for me. He is a great guy.

Pete
Posted By: shortround Re: CCH - 05/30/12 11:57 AM
The real expert is Ray St. Ledger in the UK. He is the only person I would trust for work on a fine gun. Some of the others mentioned above do adequate (sometimes garish) work but lack the subtle touch and tasteful patina of St. Ledger's work.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: CCH - 05/30/12 12:24 PM
http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=36443

Posted By: ed good Re: CCH - 05/30/12 04:32 PM
AAH CHOO!
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: CCH - 05/30/12 07:00 PM
Post nasal drip Ed? crazy
Posted By: Mike A. Re: CCH - 05/30/12 07:18 PM
Rose allergy, I suspect.

Beautiful gun, Chuck!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: CCH - 05/31/12 01:00 AM
Several years ago I asked Diggory (Smallbore) Hadoke who I should use to have a I. Hollis recased. He named someone in England whom I cannot remember. Might have been St. Ledger. Maybe he will drop in and say.

SRH
Posted By: Salopian Re: CCH - 05/31/12 07:02 AM
Sadly, one of our finest CCH workers, Billy Lane, lost interest in scratching a living and gave it all up to drive a fork truck in a factory. Sad but true.
We have many people here in the UK who CCH but St. Ledger has the business nouse.
I saw Turnbull's work at the Vintager's, he does good work.
At the end of the day it is about customer satisfaction at a sensible cost.
As they say, 'you pays yer money and yer takes yer choice'
Posted By: Chuck H Re: CCH - 05/31/12 12:49 PM
Salopian,
What you said about many sources of cch in the UK made me think of our sources here in the US. I think there are more sources today in the US than 20 yrs ago when I sent my first double frame out for cch. Back then, there were only a couple that I could locate. Today, there are many that I can cite just off the top of my head. Most are doublegun smiths that have learned the process.
Posted By: ed good Re: CCH - 06/01/12 01:03 PM
some psychologist suggest that sneezing may be a nervous reaction, triggered by fear or anxiety...

just think of someone heating up a shotgun receiver to around 1500 degrees F...AAH CHOO!
Posted By: SKB Re: CCH - 06/01/12 01:04 PM
or in your case Ed, ignorance.....
Posted By: ed good Re: CCH - 06/01/12 01:07 PM
skb: you sound like one who has never seen a cch job gone bad?

or could it be that you do not concur with the premise that sneezing is psychologically induced and is therefore strictly physiologically based?
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: CCH - 06/01/12 02:23 PM
Nah just toxic fumes from the galvanizing and cad plating tanks.
Posted By: Salopian Re: CCH - 06/01/12 07:34 PM
Why oh why does a thread descend into the gutter when ed logs on?
Posted By: David Williamson Re: CCH - 06/01/12 08:41 PM
Turnbull's work on Marlins is great, not so good on L.C. Smiths. I'm not sure who Buck Henry sends his to for CCH, but they are pretty close to the orignial "elsie" colors.
John Gillette's is also very good for the "right' colors.
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: CCH - 06/01/12 09:01 PM
After years of careful observation and personal experience, I've come to the conclusion that there are worthy alternatives to Turnbull.

Posted By: Chuck H Re: CCH - 06/01/12 09:48 PM
KR,
I think your point is particularly true when guns other than Parkers are involved or when absolute replication is the not the goal.

I do have a 190x Parker that Turnbull did and the colors match the hidden colors of another Parker produced within a couple years of that one. Really a great job of replication. I don't think I've seen as close a replication from any other smiths, but lets face it, I haven't seen every gunsmiths attempt either.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: CCH - 06/01/12 10:02 PM
Very close to 100% original Smith colors. Tough to reproduce the straw, emerald, and sapphire

From L.C. Smith "The Legend Lives" by John Houchins p. 429
"The Hunter Arms Co. used a higher proportion of bone charcoal to wood charcoal (1 part bone and 3 1/2 parts wood charcoal) than most other manufacturers. The predominant colors seen on L.C. Smith shotguns are dark blue interspersed with lighter blues and emerald greens, and browns with a red hue..."

More examples of original colors here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/12588446
Posted By: Oldmodel70 Re: CCH - 06/01/12 11:42 PM
Mr. Edpert....We have CCH from Rossi to Purdey....from Mossberg to Parker....from Savage to Sauer...from Marbles to Lyman...from Baikal to Boss....from Taurus to Colt....
Millions of firearm parts have been, or are being manufactured and casehardened at industry standard temperatures.
It ain't rocket science.....
And....hardly anyone but an amateur uses a torch as a heat source........... Grant.
Posted By: ed good Re: CCH - 06/02/12 12:54 AM
old grant: got no problem with factory case hardened shotgun receivers...

its the unknown work done after market that scares me...AAH CHOO!

in my humble opinion, the destruction of factory heat treating, during a process of replicating factory case colors, is not worth the risks associated with the necessary rehardening of shotgun receivers.

in addition, over the years, it has been my experience, that the costs associated with rehardening a shotgun receiver are usually not recouped come resale time.

and finally, in order to begin to understand what the shotgun receiver rehardening process really entails, one should read the chapter in tony treadwell's fine book that deals with this subject.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: CCH - 06/02/12 01:15 AM
This is Turnbull's LC coloring. I think I could be happy with that.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/client_images/catalog19872/pages/files/17444_Detail6.jpg
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com