doublegunshop.com - home
Gents,

I'm in Carlisle, PA for 2 weeks - near HArrisburg. Does anyone know of a good double gun store to see some classic guns?

Thanks,
You might try Randy Shuman and Shuman's Gun Shop in Newville just a few miles east of Carlisle. They are different businesses and I understand you need an app't to visit with Randy but I might wrong on that. You can probably find his number in the local phone list. One watchout is wasting anyone's time because of export restrictions to Japan. Bass Pro Shop off I83 in Hbg is another place. They often have classic stuff scattered among the camo stocks.
The Harrisburg Bass Pro Shop has closed its Gun Room. The only guns they have on display are new guns...mostly rifles. I happened to visit Shumans gun Shop in Newville on Friday and they have no classic guns at all...in fact only one or two late model shotguns. They deal almost entirely in new or late model rifles. Randy Shuman is in business at another location by appointment, but handles Winchesters almost exclusively. Sometimes Trop's gun shop south of Harrisburg has a shotgun or two. You might try Cabela's in Hamburg...even if there are no guns to look at the wildlife mounts are worth the trip.
Roger Bain is located in Waynesboro. A nice ride down I-81 near the Maryland border. Web site says hours are by appointment.
Lion Country near State College. I wouldnt suggest that a 2 hour drive is close in most instances. But for one coming from Japan...
Nothing like several men making time to answer a question and the guy doesn't say a thing once he gets the replies.
At the risk of putting out a second post in poor taste in the same thread:

You should be "Old Crotchety Joe" for calling out a US Marine coming over from Japan because he did'nt lick your boots within 48 hours. He might have been wheels up for the last 36 hours for all you know.
Not "near", but within a day trip, Elmira Arms in Gillett, PA straight north of you about 3 hrs. I've never been there, but have seen fine guns listed for yrs on their website. Checkout their website and call them to see if it's worth your time.
Gents,

Thanks for the replies - hope to have a little opportunity to look at some guns. Our time is pretty packed - only one day off - Sunday - but I hope to get out to a store or two.

My appologies to Old "Crotchety" Joe for my late reply - keep falling asleep whan I get back to the room.

Thanks again to all.
Hey Romac how bout stuffing it? You live in SE Pa, you didn't make time to reply to the man's question, then you come in like a white knight with a stupid comment about boot licking when I ask whats up. And how do you know he's a Marine training there in Carlisle? Maybe he's at the Law school? Or maybe he's just visiting a friend? If YOU have so much info on Patrick why didn't YOU help your friend first off when he asked for help? Geezze. Your reply is nothing more than a comment from the peanut gallery.
Originally Posted By: Old Joe
Hey Romac how bout stuffing it? You live in SE Pa, you didn't make time to reply to the man's question, then you come in like a white knight with a stupid comment about boot licking when I ask whats up. And how do you know he's a Marine training there in Carlisle? Maybe he's at the Law school? Or maybe he's just visiting a friend? If YOU have so much info on Patrick why didn't YOU help your friend first off when he asked for help? Geezze. Your reply is nothing more than a comment from the peanut gallery.

Kinda like yours, you mean?? All the mirrors in your house broken??
You got a seat way out in the peanut gallery pal. You live in Ia, you didnt reply to the question, then you pass judgement on me who took the time to answer. Better polish up the mirrors in your house too.
patrickwall, If the only free day you have is Sunday most of the gun shops mentioned above will be closed with the exception of Bass Pro, Gander Mt. and Cabelas. You can stop by Bass Pro and Gander Mt. on your way to Cabelas. Cabelas does usually have a lot of guns, although I don't know how many of them will be "classic". Probably Cabela's largest and most interesting store. A nice drive, the wildlife exhibits are excellent and the elk sandwiches pretty good.
Originally Posted By: Old Joe
You got a seat way out in the peanut gallery pal. You live in Ia, you didnt reply to the question, then you pass judgement on me who took the time to answer. Better polish up the mirrors in your house too.

Joe, if you take a really hard look at my post--it's not that long--my response was to your SECOND post (which contained nothing of substance re the initial poster's question), not your first. And patience clearly isn't one of your virtues. Not everyone lives on the computer. Someone might post a question and not get back on line to check for a couple or three days.
Patrik, Monty Whitley's shop is within reasonable driving distance. Try calling in advance, Monty may meet you after his regular hours. He has a great little shop.
Dave
As you can see Patrick there is not too much near Carlisle, Pa in the way of classic doubles, there use to be a lot more. Now if you wanted a custom built 'Kentucky' rifle, you would be in the right place. smile
Gents,

Thanks for the help - got to Gander Mtn and looked at some Foxes, a Parker and Ithica. It was nice to see some of the details of what I've been reading about. Thanks again to all for the assistance.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com