doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gregdownunder Big,Bigger,Biggest! - 07/07/12 06:34 AM
Found these floating around in a box of bits and bobs.
Larger gauge cartridges are fairly uncommon here so thought I would grab them.
Wondering how old they would be,they have printed on them “Eley loaded with Nobels smokeless powder,made in Great Britain”
I am thinking 20’s or 30’s?
What was the standard shot charge on these ?

Cheers,

GDU

Posted By: SamW Re: Big,Bigger,Biggest! - 07/07/12 11:31 AM
Would not want to be on either end of the 4 gauge!
Posted By: CBL1 Re: Big,Bigger,Biggest! - 07/07/12 01:19 PM
4 bore cartridge could be anywhere between 3 to 4oz; a box of 25 in original Eley box now achieves app $500 now given production stopped back in the '70's. And if you are shooting a 20lb double-four, to be honest, you won't really feel a kick - more a "firm" push smile
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Big,Bigger,Biggest! - 07/07/12 02:07 PM
A friend from the UK gave me several years ago, A Gevelot 4 from Paris, several Ely 8's that are natural in color, say loaded with nobel smokless power, made in Great Britian, and an "0" bore primed Eley. There are a bunchof them but my wife chose to file them.
bill
Posted By: lagopus Re: Big,Bigger,Biggest! - 07/08/12 03:05 PM
I would say post second world war possibly into the 1950's. Does the headsamp have the ICI trade mark? If so it will be pre 1964. The 4 bore cartridge was not listed after 1966. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Big,Bigger,Biggest! - 07/08/12 08:10 PM
Nice find in boxes of "bits and bobs" Greg! If you find any old packs of firecrackers let me know. They were made illegal there, but I don't know the year. I've been collecting them since the late '40's; also the labels.

Hal

halka@hughes.net
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com