doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Birdog Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 02:22 PM
They had to suspend shooting for a short while because of the weather...
Michael Diamond of Australia is ahead with 75.
Qualification Roster

http://www.london2012.com/shooting/event/men-trap/phase=shm401900/index.html

BIG version: http://s3.jrnl.ie/media/2012/08/derek-burnett-582012.jpg
Cheers
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 03:10 PM
Nice shot of the thumb to nose distance.

David Kostelecky of the Czech Republic, Gold medalist in 2008, is two back with a 73

It appears that a small red fiberoptic bead is popular
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 03:15 PM
I can't tell for sure but it looks like Mr. Diamond might be using the thumb on his forehand to block his left eye from seeing the bead/muzzle. I do that with my double when I shoot trap. If he is it is the first time I have ever seen anyone do it with an over and under.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 03:21 PM
Click on the second link Mike and you'll see a much larger pic of Derek Burnett of Ireland - note the muffs smile
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 04:45 PM
Looks like they're both shooting with both eyes open, how do you do that? confused
Posted By: gw-smith Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 04:54 PM
Why no shooters from the US competing? Do you have to "qualify" like track and field where you meet a certain standard during the year? I can't imagine nobody tried out for the team.
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 04:56 PM
Go to the first link and click on the little + marks by the names of the competitors. Interesting the age of the Olympic trapshooters. These ain't no spring chickens.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 05:27 PM
GW, no USA shooters earned a qualifying spot in singles trap for 2012. End of story.
Posted By: docbill Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 07:36 PM
Glen Eller is in the double trap competion IRC.
Posted By: James M Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 07:51 PM
Please refresh us on the rules here for Olympic trap:
Gun down? delayed pull? yardage(meters)?
Jim
Posted By: eightbore Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 09:13 PM
Gun up, no delay, two shots except in the shootoffs.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 10:46 PM
Not quite. there is a slight delay in International Trap, introduced since Pia Hansen of Sweden was calling for the bird and pulling the trigger simultaneously. As the ref, I could see
pellets bouncing off the edge of the bunker. There was no rule to stop that so I could not no-bird her
The delay was introduced especially to stop her, as there was, rightly. concern about injuring personnel in the bunker and flankers.
Mike, 1996, 2000, UIT A Olympic judge
Posted By: eightbore Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 11:29 PM
Mike, thanks for the information and correction. Can you cite the rule book paragraph that describes that delay? Thanks.
Posted By: tw Re: Olympic Trap - 08/05/12 11:44 PM
Drew,

Those appear to be std. P-gun front sights for some of their target guns; a small red square is what the shooter sees, if he/she looks at it at all. It is not not overly bright.
Posted By: Birdog Re: Olympic Trap - 08/06/12 03:02 PM
Michael Diamond sets new Olympic Trap record with 125/125 and is-was one target clear heading into the final.

Double shoot off for the gold and bronze in the trap final.

Gold- Croatia ( cerenogaraz) vs Italy (Fabrizzi)

Bronze- Kuwait (Aldeehani) vs Australia (Diamond)

http://www.london2012.com/shooting/event/men-trap/phase=shm401900/index.html

Posted By: mike campbell Re: Olympic Trap - 08/06/12 03:07 PM
Unusual looking trap guns, aren't they?
Posted By: Birdog Re: Olympic Trap - 08/06/12 03:59 PM
Despite setting a new Olympic record and tying the world record, Michael Diamond is going home empty handed! As they say it ain't over till the fat lady sings.
Wow! Some final.
There were shoot-off's for gold and bronze at 145 and 146.
Diamond went in having gone 5 rounds straight and dropped 5 ending up in a shootoff for bronze and losing 4:3 to Aldeehani. Cernogoraz was at the bottom of the qualifiers going into the final round with 121 and went straight despite a no-bird on the last. He took gold against Fabbrizi 5:6.

http://www.london2012.com/shooting/event/men-trap/phase=shm401100/index.html
Posted By: eightbore Re: Olympic Trap - 08/06/12 04:33 PM
I have never seen such an unusual and suspenseful final in any clay target sport. What a finish. I think Mike Campbell is pulling our leg about the guns.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Olympic Trap - 08/06/12 06:02 PM
I think what Mr. Campbell is referring to is that there are none of the bells and whistles that typify the "standard" ATA style of preferred trap gun. Refreshing, actually. Makes me feel better about all those flat ribbed guns I have.

Here is a link to a nice site for int'l shooting. Has a link to the ISSF rules down the page a bit.

http://www.bunkershooting.com/tyro.html

Like TW mentioned about the front sights in another thread, Perazzi had those florescent things on their guns in the late 60's. Several of the ones here still have them but the ATAers were quick to yank them and tap in a Bradley. Actually NBD to me since I don't see it anyway but the lost aesthetic is bothersome, innt?

have a day

Dr.WtS
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Olympic Trap - 08/06/12 07:13 PM
stolen from another site

just an FYI sorta thing

If you are interested in the details of bunker an excellent site is shootingbunker.com. Bill Bartels gives an excellent description. Also, go to usashooting.org and the rule book describes details for trap installation,etc. and includes the nine settings for each of the machines; height, angle, and distance.

Here is a correct diagram of an International Trap Field.You have the "bunker" from which the targets are thrown.. A shooter will shoot one target and then move to the station to the right, and when the shooter reaches the far right, will start again on the far left position. The distance between the shooters and the bunker is 15 meters (approx. 17 yards). There are marks on the bunker in front of each shooter representing the middle trap of the three trap for that station. The trap under that mark will throw a straight-away, the trap to the right will throw a left angle, and the trap to the left will throw a right angle. A round consists of 25 targets, and a typical day of shooting for a match will be 100 targets.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Olympic Trap - 08/06/12 09:17 PM
Eightbore, I looked in my ISSF Rulebook and T 9 65 7 says the shooter may refuse the shot if the target is not released immediately after the shooter's call. Now you have me curious, because I was discussing Pia Hansen's antics with Lloyd Woodhouse while watching her bounce pellets off the top of the bunker, Lloyd said putting a slight delay in would cure that, I thought they did.
I'll ask USA Shooting about that. Lloyd has retired, of course.
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: Olympic Trap - 08/07/12 12:17 PM
Curious. Russia has some of the least shooting-friendly environments ever - there are only three or four cities that have a decent clay range, maybe five, guns and ammo are three times as expensive as in the US (and don't forget the average income is still only a fifth of the US), the sponsorships for beginners are almost unheard of (basicly, for a youngster, if your parents can't afford it, you're out). The US, on the contrary, is probably the most shooting-friendly country in the world. Yet Russia had two shooters in qualification (only a bird or two, literally, off the finals), and the US... So much for Olympics as an indicator of a country's development.

It was a fun final to watch, though. Who would have thought the Croatian that jumped into the last wagon to the finals, had a chance for the gold? Yet, here you go!

And, poor Michael Diamond. He's got my simpathies.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Olympic Trap - 08/07/12 12:53 PM
Mike, I just read the 2009 rules. It specifies a 0 to 1 second window for doubles, but doesn't state anything for regular trap. Lloyd went out in 2008, so the 0 to 1 rule might have appeared for the first time in those 2009 rules. I can't imagine how bouncing shot off the bunker roof can work in regular trap unless the shooter has memorized the entire sequence. After all, the birds don't come out at the same place. I think you are thinking of the doubles event. I would like to hear Wonko's take on this. Knowing a little about Lloyd's demeanor, I can't imagine he took all that bouncing of the shot too seriously. I think Lloyd was pulling your leg and got away with it.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Olympic Trap - 08/07/12 05:09 PM
So right off the top I'm gonna disqualify myself as any kinda authority - I'm not. And here's what I know about it. There is no delay other than the closing switches, circuits, solenoids, target traveling the arm, etc. If there is a delay like is supposedly in the ATA vox releases, it is just one so that the release is not instantaneous, like maybe a few microseconds. But that seems unlikely since that small a delay would be very difficult to standardize considering all the different brands of machines. And if there is one thing the ISSF loves, it is "standard". Int'l skeet however does have a delay and it is even variable - talk about nasty! But like I said - I don't know but it sure doesn't have any delay for me.
As to spot shooting the bunker targets - there is a point just outside the bunker where the targets from the set of three machines all cross. Variable heights and angles will make that point more of an "area", but I suppose w/ a sorta open choke it might be possible to spot shoot them there. Even if that did prove a workable scheme in the past, I would have to wonder just how successful it would be w/ the current 24gm loads cuz 24gm just doesn't have many shot of any size in it. Also that would be a maybe 16-17meter shot and that is not much distance for any choke to open up much. As to the bouncing shot - that would have to have been just some strays, prolly from the cyl choke if that was what she was using.

There are some mega-fast shooters tho. The above mentioned Bill Bartels was a regular member of the bunch I used to shoot w/ at the old Martinez bunker. He regularly broke targets at distances where I was just getting handle on which direction they were going. But he was definitely not spot shooting, just alien life form quick.

HTH

have a day

Dr.WtS
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Olympic Trap - 08/07/12 06:24 PM
Eightbore,
Lloyd was furious with Pia, we complained to her manager, who laughed at us and we called the Jury over to watch her. I wanted to know if I could no-bird her when she was on my squad, the jury had a meeting and said I could not no-bird her as there was nothing in the rules to stop her, but they all agreed the practice must stop. and stop it they did
Yes, doubles it was, come to think of it, where she know the bird was going. She shot at the front edge of the bunker as soon as she called. She hit them about 3 feet out. I was there, you were not.
I do not think I specified trap singles. but I was correct for the doubles.
D.9.6.9.2
Mike
Posted By: eightbore Re: Olympic Trap - 08/07/12 06:43 PM
I conceded that it would be possible in doubles in my earlier post. I can't figure out why anyone would give a damn. Spreading a strip of canvas over the front foot of the bunker roof would be a whole lot simpler than reprogramming the computers.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Olympic Trap - 08/07/12 07:15 PM
It was upsetting the other shooters, that is why we gave several damns.
Obviously you have never shot International Trap at the top levels. Is your name Karl Lippard, by any chance?
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Olympic Trap - 08/08/12 04:12 AM
Sure - spot shooting the first in doubles would not be all that difficult w/ some practice. Its a wonder that more people didn't do it actually. Inventive as people are generally. Tho I would really question the part about bouncing the shot off the top of the bunker. Sloppy pointing could get a few bouncers but the whole charge? Why introduce another variable into the mix for no reason? And effectively grossly reduce the pattern to a horizontal planar rather than vertical circular shape. I mean, WTF??

In ATA, w/ the slower targets, spot shooting the first bird is a way common practice. IC choke, 9's, put the bbl level on the target line and pull the trigger when the bird emerges from the house. TabA/SlotB really and easy to spot the folks doing it. So easy that even I can do it.

have a day

Dr.WtS
Posted By: eightbore Re: Olympic Trap - 08/08/12 12:11 PM
No, I am not presumptuous on the level of Karl Lippard, but I think any jury could prevent a shooter from vandalizing the lid of a bunker. Spot shooting a first bird is one thing, doing damage to the bunker is another.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com